Stay safe; stay well

onay

The simple philosophy is every picture has two sides, applying the sample philosophy for COVID-19, what do you think what are the pros of COVID-19 especially in Thailand? 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO there are many Thais who have had their livelihoods destroyed, and they won't be happy about it. Whether that translates into regime change is a different question. The younger voters are probably well aware they are being dudded by a rigged representation system.

The main pro for Thailand is the low number of cases and deaths, whether that's due to herd immunity or environmental factors is moot. Perhaps there will be opportunity for Thailand as a different manufacturing hub to China. Multi-nationals will come under pressure from various governments to reduce their dependence on the Chinese supply chains.

It depends on whether Thailand can offer political stability.

interesting point. the big challenge will be whether Thailand has or can develop the skillsets. i worked with a Thai manufacturer for 6 years (on and off) and they just couldn't get it right for International trade from compliance for audits through to reliable schedules. However they do have some industries with quality and compliance well under control, they tend to be foreign managed and owned but it does show it's possible.

• Like 1

I like the 1st optimistic answer!

We will all be better people..

Lots of survivors in Phillipines, left desolate after Duterte, something I heard on BBC at 3 am..

Thailand's time may be coming..

Too bad about the powers that be, time for change

Alohaas! (I'm in Hawaii county on Hualalai mountain) pic looks like Thailand

Screenshot_20200529-171606_One UI Home.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

The virus is a perfect opportunity to wipe the slate clean and reinvent the country. I think infrastructure investment is a good idea for the government along with some creative planning for new or emerging industries. 

I worked for a company that suffered terribly in 2008 financial crisis but instead of cutting costs and planning to survive they invested raising million from shareholders, the plan worked brilliantly. They emerged a much stronger business crushing the competition and making some lucrative acquisitions resulting in a much more secure future. 

To be brutally honest Thailand is a bit old hat. The image of Thailand is not great and there are other and dare I say hungrier emerging countries in SE Asia that are growing rapidly in industry and tourism.. I believe the Philippines will be a serious contender for the new top country in the Asean in not too many years as they are investing very heavily in changing the image and infrastructure. They also have some of the worlds best, unspoilt beach resorts in the world (Borocay for example), I guess we will see..

Im curious Thailand wants to get friendly with China, they want to sign a railway agreement with them. Is that a good idea seeing how China likes to take and linking Thailand with China to me is asking for trouble! Is that good for Thailand's future?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

interesting point. the big challenge will be whether Thailand has or can develop the skillsets. i worked with a Thai manufacturer for 6 years (on and off) and they just couldn't get it right for International trade from compliance for audits through to reliable schedules. However they do have some industries with quality and compliance well under control, they tend to be foreign managed and owned but it does show it's possible.

Thailand will never improve as long as the top brass's income stream keeps up, it won't be until their income streams are affected in a negative way that anything positive will happen to the Thai people, tourists, and expats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

The virus is a perfect opportunity to wipe the slate clean and reinvent the country. I think infrastructure investment is a good idea for the government along with some creative planning for new or emerging industries. 

I worked for a company that suffered terribly in 2008 financial crisis but instead of cutting costs and planning to survive they invested raising million from shareholders, the plan worked brilliantly. They emerged a much stronger business crushing the competition and making some lucrative acquisitions resulting in a much more secure future. 

To be brutally honest Thailand is a bit old hat. The image of Thailand is not great and there are other and dare I say hungrier emerging countries in SE Asia that are growing rapidly in industry and tourism.. I believe the Philippines will be a serious contender for the new top country in the Asean in not too many years as they are investing very heavily in changing the image and infrastructure. They also have some of the worlds best, unspoilt beach resorts in the world (Borocay for example), I guess we will see..

I agree - but Viet Nam too is a contender

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thais are not dumb. My GF is street smart way beyond my understanding. The real problem here is the education system, which focuses on ensuring obedience to whoever is in charge.

Most Thais I know cannot read a map, and thinking outside the square is anathema.

Absolutely Thai people are not dumb, I wasn't suggesting that. However at the "working class" end of the workforce there is a work ethic that people outside of Thailand would consider to be not healthy. For example, after pay day I guarantee the absentees will be very high, they tend to spend their salary on enjoying themselves for a while until they need money again, I experienced this a lot on the factory floor. The turnover of staff was not good and we ended up having a mix of 50% Thai, 50% Cambodian as we found them to be a lot more reliable. It was a big pain to get the work permits for them, however you simply couldn't run the business relying on Thai people alone. Don't mean to upset people with this comment, it is just how it is and my experience over 6 years of working for the business. But as far as "capability" goes of course Thai people are clever as any other nation. I do agree with you though that the education in Thailand is very poor. Never before have I ever seen a valid question at the interview "can you read and write", can't imagine that in many other countries, especially one that is the largest in the region. I have worked all over Europe, the USA, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China and I have never seen this before.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I agree - but Viet Nam too is a contender

Yep, I love Vietnam, great place, especially Ho Chi Minh (great coffee ????) a real "can do" country with very healthy work ethic and very hard working people.. I worked with an agency there for years, they were managing the day to day communication with material suppliers for us,, never, ever let us down. As things are shaping up now I cannot see Thailand competing in the near future. I think it will take some very serious government realisation and intervention improving education and language, especially English language for International trade. Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia I find to be way ahead on Thailand in this respect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thailand will never improve as long as the top brass's income stream keeps up, it won't be until their income streams are affected in a negative way that anything positive will happen to the Thai people, tourists, and expats.

You may be right, if that is the case then obviously the country is going to suffer. As of now what you say seems to be true. Other countries are focusing on expanding International trade, investing and also opening their arms for expats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

many have survived... at least so far..

No choice but to survive. Survival is not impressive, finding opportunity and thriving in the face of adversity is...

11 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

As things are shaping up now I cannot see Thailand competing in the near future

and though obviously you seem to care and have all sorts of solutions, do you think the ordinary people care? Or maybe they don't define themselves by their productivity levels but tend more toward enjoying life... I find people here much happier than others... that counts for something - right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Im curious Thailand wants to get friendly with China, they want to sign a railway agreement with them. Is that a good idea seeing how China likes to take and linking Thailand with China to me is asking for trouble! Is that good for Thailand's future?

China, (like any other country I suppose) don't invest in anything unless they see a benefit for themselves. I think Thailand do not really want the Chinese to start owning the infrastructure in their own country, China will have enormous power which will eventually result in control and money making for themselves. They are heavily investing in emerging countries such as African nations and South America, sometime in the future they will control a lot of foreign transport and natural resources. This is China capatalising on being cash rich when so many other nations are not. In the medium / long term think countries will regret allowing so much Chinese investment in such key industries and transport but we will see.. In short for me Thailand should not allow too much Chinese investment in their own country.

• Like 1