Pattaya - Maptaphut Highway

Inderpland

According to this article it' snow open for a "trial run" but it also states the only access point is at Utapao airport so if I drive down to Ambassador City the entrance to the new road is still blocked?

So the free trial run is anyone wanting to drive on it has to enter at Utapao and the drive north, make a U-turn at some pint and then return to Utapao??

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1922684/pattaya-map-ta-phut-route-trial-begins

You can check the map in this thread (which has dropped down to page 3 in the Pattaya News forum already):
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1165327-pattaya-map-ta-phut-tollway-opens-for-free-trial-period/?do=findComment&comment=15445320

A couple people have driven the route. It's only open at the top and bottom ends. The other exits/entrances won't open until Sept (all going well).

OK, so to go from top to bottom starting in Pattaya I'll have to drive Siam CC up to 36 then keep left onto 7 and hug another left onto the new highway before the Pattaya toll booths, right?

Edited by Inderpland

6 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

OK, so to go from top to bottom starting in Pattaya I'll have to drive Siam CC up to 36 then keep left onto 7 and hug another left onto the new highway before the tool booths, right?

From Pattaya why not just get on the 7, go through the toll booth and then take the new road (entry on the right).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

From Pattaya why not just get on the 7, go through the toll booth and then take the new road (entry on the right).

OK, silly me. I just assumed I was only able to enter the new highway driving southbound on 7. Thanks, I will do as you suggested.

Edited by Inderpland

6 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

OK, so to go from top to bottom starting in Pattaya I'll have to drive Siam CC up to 36 then keep left onto 7 and hug another left onto the new highway before the tool booths, right?

Pretty much, unless you want to pay a toll by getting on the 7 from the other way, going through the toll booths then taking the off ramp onto the extension.

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Pretty much, unless you want to pay a toll by getting on the 7 from the other way, going through the toll booths then taking the off ramp onto the extension.

When going to Chantaburi I pay 10 Baht for that little stretch of 7 I drive on before turning onto 36, so based on distance traveled that would be about 5 Baht I guess.

But we shall see, I will give it a go today.

19 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

You dont pay a toll to get onto the 7.

4 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

True, you pay when getting off it. So if Kerryd is right there is an "off" toll booth when turning onto the new highway.

Don't know to be honest as I only drive past the on ramp on the way to work, guess there could be one further up... charge should not be more than 50 satang though given the distance travelled on the 7

Edited by Don Mega

Just now, Don Mega said:

Don't know to be honest as I only drive past the on ramp on the way to work, guess there could be one further up... change should not be more than 50 satang though given the distance travelled on the 7

Well, I will give it a go and report back. Not that it's of any huge interest but in these Covid times you take what you can get:wink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Nice ride ?

Very busy ?

Nice ride, light traffic but still roadwork in many places - mainly on barriers/fences along the road. Long stretches of the road surface consists of concrete blocks though so every 30ish meters you run over a joint that's heard and felt load and clear, especially driving on run-flats.

2 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

BTW, I did try to locate that new highway on Google Maps but couldn't. Am I blind or isn't it there yet?

It shows on the Sat image but not for route planning. I suspect the "Google Car" hasn't been down there yet. I don't know how they do that (send the car/cars to different places at different times). Could be some time before they map it out.