Receiving COVIT-19 Stimulus Checks From the U.S.

Hi Guys & Ladies, Americans living in Thailand are enfact eligible for the COVIT-19 Stimulus Checks issued by the U.S. Treasury Department. I know of two Thai ladies, who do not file a U.S. tax return, but were married, either divorced, or widowed to U.S. citizens. Both have received checks direct deposited in their U.S. banks, which they maintain due to family in the U.S. They were able to complete the questionnaire on where to send the check on-line. 

For the last five years, since moving to the present address, I have been locked out of the IRS website, by reason when I complete the info required, it does not recognize my address, as filed on my tax returns. So I called them before the COVOIT-19 pandemic, they said I could create a new account, and did so with no results.

A few days ago I just happen to go "My Account" at the Social Security website, they had a link to check the status of that check. I clicked it, completed the info required, and received a message which said " Your Check Was Mailed May 8. 2020", and no further information. I was in the middle of changing banks, so I had no INT earned interest filed with the new bank on 2019's Tax Return. However I do receive Soc.Sec direct deposit, and my retirement direct deposited to the new U.S. bank. Which recently started, 2 months ago.

So my thoughts were if they, the U.S. Dept of Treasury can't find me by either the IRS address used on my Tax Returns filed, by Soc.Sec direct deposit information, or HomeLand Security Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR), which lists Bangkok Bank accounts.  As I had read if the they can't locate you by bank account, the check would be sent by mail to the address last used for a filed a Tax return. 

I know regular snail mail from the U.S. takes 21-25 days. I have been receiving my retirement statements as usual, about 24 days later of the previous month. That had me wondering, I know outbound mail to the U.S. is presently by ship, taking 3 months. But was inbound mail from the U.S. being processed, and delivered? As near as I could find out, inbound mail for the U.S. is still being processed, receiving my retirement statement should be proof of that.

So my question are, it has presently been 21 days since mailed, Should I expect it in the next few days? Secondly is it possible to use Wells Fargo to wire a U.S. Dept. Treasury check to my U.S. Bank?  Rather than use DHL, or Federal Express mail service?

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue. In the end, nothing to do, but wait as there is no one taking phone calls, 

DP.      

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Dillpickles98 said:

is it possible to use Wells Fargo to wire a U.S. Dept. Treasury check to my U.S. Bank?  Rather than use DHL, or Federal Express mail service?

Do any of your US banking accounts allow for 'mobile deposit' by smart phone. That's how I handle checks being sent to me here in Thailand. 

Also, as your stimulus payment is being mailed it might arrive as a check, or as a debit card. 

• Thanks 1

Hi jmccarty, Thanks for your reply. Great News, then there is nothing for me to do but wait. May I ask if you sent it back to your U.S. bank? If you did, how was that accomplished? Or if you deposited here in Thai Bank? I hear deposits from a U.S. bank can take months to clear, that's fine. But if there is an option to send it back to the U.S. what is the best way?

In 2016 I overpaid my Federal Tax by $14,685 paying online. Thought I would have a heart attack, when I saw that deduction from my bank. Called the IRS immediately, they said they hadn't processed it yet, give them another week. I do so, and told them I would be in the U.S. shortly for 2 wks. They said that's fine, go to the nearest IRS office, and they will straighten it out. They did, by the time we were back here in Thailand the Treasury Dept. check was in my mailbox. I thought it would be a real headache trying to get my $$$ back, but they were very nice people. I used DHL to send it back to my U.S. bank.

DP.

Hi RichCor, Thanks for that info, being I just joined Navy Federal Credit Union 3 months ago, I'm not all to familiar with their website, I could call 24/7 an ask. Then too, not that savvy with my smartphone, never go online, with social media, other than Skype and messenger. I would suppose they do, operators are most helpful, they would stay on the line while they direct me through the process.

Sometimes I call when I could do things myself online just to watch them do whatever I need in real time. 

DP. 

4 hours ago, Dillpickles98 said:

Then too, not that savvy with my smartphone, never go online, with social media, other than Skype and messenger.

I'm familiar with NFCU as I sometimes do tech with some of their remote staffers.

I'm mainly familiar with USAA and Charles Schwab and use their smartphone apps to transfer and electronically deposit funds.  The mobile apps are the easiest when needing to deposit checks as you use the bank app to snap images of the front and back of a check, then you select the account and amount of the deposit, and you're done.

If the Treasury end up mailing me a debit card I'll have to decide how to handle the funds (spend as a debit card, or transfer amounts to US or TH banking accounts. 

• Thanks 1

Hi RichCor, Thanks for your reply. Well I guess I'll have to wait, and see what form the check is in first. Then figure out the best way to get in my U.S. bank. When I first retired, and was still using my buddy's address in the U.S. before I had a permanent address here. I was getting all sorts of refunds, from various businesses, he travels to the U.S. every three months, and stays for three months. On one visit he would bring me the checks, take them back on the next, then mail them to my bank in the U.S.. It was bothersome, so I finally had a rubber stamp of my signature made, gave it to him, and that avoided the six month delay in getting them deposited.

I really had some banking headaches before I found NFCU. I was a city employee, my retirement would not direct deposit to a foreign bank. Like most employees, I was a member of the city's Federal Credit Union which served me well in the U.S. But once here, I had to call their I.T. dept. so often they knew my voice. While transfers were free, they took 5 days.

With your knowledge I'm sure you remember last year Bangkok Bank New York would reject all transfers not in IAT ACH Format, to begin April 30, 2019. My bank assured they were. My monthly transfers continued until Dec. 2019 then rejected for not being in IAT ACH Format. Which is when I found NFCU, and migrated my funds there, and closed my other banks accounts. 

I took a lot of heat here in the forum because I was adamant about my bank being able to do so. Well I slipped through the cracks until last Dec. So I felt it necessary to go back to that Thread and report my error. 

I do know a lot of vets, & retired servicemen with USAA who are pleased with their services.

Thanks again for the info, and your time. 

DP.    

• Like 1