Go-go bars gone as coronavirus hits Bangkok's sex district

webfact

7 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Who  knows ?? But one thing is for sure the word ' narrative ' must be the most used word on You Tube. I've come to hate it.

LOL ok, that's their story and they're sticking to it

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's seedy when the women are coerced. Or under the age of consent. When they are in the business of sex of their own free will, no.

In Bangkok and Pattaya I doubt if you would see much of that. It is too high profile. Sure, in the provinces. Sure, there is alot of underage trafficking going on. But, anyplace where there is interaction with foreigners, is way too risky. If there is any coercion going on, it is by the parents!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

It's just a matter of time before Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy cease to exist. Thailand needs to move into the 21st century, sensibilities are changing. Thailand's reputation as a destination that welcomes sex tourists looks completely out of date...

Oh really ??? Ok let's press to get rid of all the red light districts in all the 1 st world countries hahahah.

Out of date for you maybe not the millions of others. Are you too old to enjoy the said atmosphere ?? My advice to you is to hide under the bed else you mind & sensibilities will be sullied :<)

Edited by Melbun

21 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

It's just a matter of time before Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy cease to exist. Thailand needs to move into the 21st century, sensibilities are changing. Thailand's reputation as a destination that welcomes sex tourists looks completely out of date...

Yes, totally agree. They also want to close all the bars on Sukhumvit soi 4 and 6 and elsewhere in BKK. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ranshoko said:

Yes, totally agree. They also want to close all the bars on Sukhumvit soi 4 and 6 and elsewhere in BKK.

Sure, they should go around closing anything down they don't like. We need to encourage conservatism, instead of just leaving them alone.

It never bothered me, I never bothered to go there except a couple of quick cruises just to see how it was for myself. Not my taste, but it's not something I think worth bothering the government about - better focus on issues that affect us.

9 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Oh really ??? Ok let's press to get rid of all the red light districts in all the 1 st world countries hahahah.

Out of date for you maybe not the millions of others. Are you too old to enjoy the said atmosphere ?? My advice to you is to hide under the bed else you mind & sensibilities will be sullied :<)

...thanks for the advise 

Few 'entertainment' areas in 1st world countries that match the openness of Patpong, Nana and Cowboy, why? Because the world has moved on.

Difficult for one of the major tourist destinations in the world like Thailand with changing attitudes to reconcile sex tourism with main stream tourism. The reputation of the former effects the later, which attracts far more money.

I got too old to watch a bored girl dancing around a pole a long time ago! ???? 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you've always been repulsed by them, how would you know what they have to offer? In my day, I enjoyed the company of quite a few bar girls, some real stunners. One thing I especially liked about them was no BS about what they wanted. Uncomplicated.

Yes, I am old, bald and probably ugly. That doesn't really matter to women here, it's more what one can provide by way of financial support.

If you are trying to impress us with the beauty of your conquests, or that you are hansum man, please bear in mind we cynical TV denizens take such claims from behind a keyboard with a truckload of salt, unless you post photos.

No, just making a point that successful assignations can be done in Thailand as easily as in Japan. I knew an old western geezer in Malaysia who had to fight then off with a stick. I know another one in Thailand who's quite obese, but has a very good personality and hence has an amazing gf.

4 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

While I implore your desire to ride on a high horse, fkr those of us that have been in or around the kingdom fir a long time your post largely speaks of the fact that despite clearly having a fantastic period of time to be with Thai ladies, you have not realised that until you take the time to understand how they tick and what their world views and motivators are, you don't know them. 

My wife comes from a good background and has never worked in a bar, she is fortunate to have a fantastic education. Some of my friends that are working in bars are perhaps not so fortunate. 

Their means differ, the way they go about achieving their motivators are different, but those motivators are all the same. 

It is not the circumstances that define the woman, but the family and the friends that define the woman. 

That's just it. My point was that there are so many decent, "nice" women. Some of them ultimately want money, but...

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...thanks for the advise 

Few 'entertainment' areas in 1st world countries that match the openness of Patpong, Nana and Cowboy, why? Because the world has moved on.

Difficult for one of the major tourist destinations in the world like Thailand with changing attitudes to reconcile sex tourism with main stream tourism. The reputation of the former effects the later, which attracts far more money.

I got too old to watch a bored girl dancing around a pole a long time ago! ???? 

Thanks for your truthfulness. Just what I thought - too old to watch a bored girl dancing around a pole and most likely too bored to have her bouncing on your lap (or more). I would say you are logically in error. Thirty million + tourists are testimony to  the popularity of Thailand  - as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm ok if you don't go. Plenty of other boring places for you to visit where the 'world has moved on' :<)

34 minutes ago, Ranshoko said:

Yes, totally agree. They also want to close all the bars on Sukhumvit soi 4 and 6 and elsewhere in BKK. 

Wow really - They will create a booze drought, thousands of unoccupied hotel rooms and few eateries. Mum, granny and the kids will enjoy that atmosphere (not). Plus bankrupt all the vendors along lower Sukhumvit. I suppose everyone will travel across the world for that - the highlight will be going to the cinema in BKK hahah.

22 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

No, just making a point that successful assignations can be done in Thailand as easily as in Japan. I knew an old western geezer in Malaysia who had to fight then off with a stick. I know another one in Thailand who's quite obese, but has a very good personality and hence has an amazing gf.

Was it him or his wallet that was obese ??

5 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Thanks for your truthfulness. Just what I thought - too old to watch a bored girl dancing around a pole and most likely too bored to have her bouncing on your lap (or more). I would say you are logically in error. Thirty million + tourists are testimony to  the popularity of Thailand  - as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm ok if you don't go. Plenty of other boring places for you to visit where the 'world has moved on' :<)

Thailand's image as a sex tourist destination is damaging for the country. Many tourists stay away, especially from Bangkok. How much more family orientated tourism would Thailand attract if those places were closed down?...

I can find a women myself without having to pay her ????  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

Don't believe all you read from Reuters! 

Go-go bars haven't all gone, yet, and Covid-19 has not "hit" Patpong, or the other two places, any harder than many other businesses that also received temporary closure notices.

Patpong is the tip of the iceberg as far as Thai "sex trade business."  The authors (even the author with a Thai name) must have such an ingrained Western bias that they completely missed 97% of the Thai sex trade which happens in clubs, karaoke bars, shower massages, along with gigs, mia-nois, dek-puuyings, and curtain hotels that account for 99% of the domestic sex trade. 

"Sex-pat" makes headlines.  Fetish clubs clients? Gogo Clubs <laughs>. Patpong's foreign client base aren't even a rounding error in the totality of the Thai sex-trade which caters to Thai clientele.

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thailand's image as a sex tourist destination is damaging for the country. Many tourists stay away, especially from Bangkok. How much more family orientated tourism would Thailand attract if those places were closed down?...

I can find a women myself without having to pay her ????  

Oh I see 'hansum man' that doesn't pay. 'Many tourists stay away because of a few women dancing in a bar'. Now, how many are staying away 20, 100, 150, 500, 10 million? >>>>>'damaging to the country' Now how do you know? special insight ? Maybe your crystal ball is broken ? I would say 30+ million people coming to Thailand are talking with their feet and cash.  (more likely you are talking through your hat) Bye now.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Patpong is the tip of the iceberg as far as Thai "sex trade business."  The authors (even the author with a Thai name) must have such an ingrained Western bias that they completely missed 97% of the Thai sex trade which happens in clubs, karaoke bars, shower massages, along with gigs, mia-nois, dek-puuyings, and curtain hotels that account for 99% of the domestic sex trade. 

"Sex-pat" makes headlines.  Fetish clubs clients? Gogo Clubs <laughs>. Patpong's foreign client base aren't even a rounding error in the totality of the Thai sex-trade which caters to Thai clientele.

...this is true. Closing Nana, Patpong and Cowboy would only impact the western sex tourist industry and perhaps some Indians. 

14 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

but at least I had the pleasure of seeing seven girls dancing with bouncy boobs to some house music

For how long did that enjoyment last ?

How long can you sit and look at breasts in bikinis before getting bored ?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Oh I see 'hansum man' that doesn't pay. 'Many tourists stay away because of a few women dancing in a bar'. Now, how many are staying away 20, 100, 150, 500, 10 million? >>>>>'damaging to the country' Now how do you know? special insight ? Maybe your crystal ball is broken ? I would say 30+ million people coming to Thailand are talking with their feet and cash.  (more likely you are talking through your hat) Bye now.

Far too many fat, middle aged, western men holding hands with young Thai girls in Bangkok to be doing anything for the city's reputation. Time to shut it down ????