BANGKOK
CorpusChristie

Exit strategy for "legal" overstayers

I arrived in Thailand just before the New Year on a tourist visa and my intention was to depart in March but my flight was cancelled .

As land borders also closed , I was unable to exit Thailand to renew my visa and so took advantage of the overstay amnesty which is due to expire on July 31st .

I spoke to an Immigration officer and he told me that I would have to leave Thailand by that date , otherwise I would be subjected to a  (full) overstay fine and potential ban .

If Thailand doesn't open its land borders or relax entry requirement at airports/land borders and if most other Countries in the World keep refusing entry to foreigners , looks like I will have to fly home before July 31st .

Is anyone else in a similar situation , (there must be 1000's of us) and what are your exit plans ?

As it currently stands, we will have to leave Thailand by flight before 31st August and we will not be allowed to return 

• Haha 1

Hopefully they will not ignore this problem since it affects thousands of people and open borders to all countries before 31st July (at least for those doing visa run to avoid overstay) otherwise option 1) fly home option 2) overstay not more than 1 year and pay 20000 fine

Stay optimistic that there will be an open land border before July 31.

What is your home country?

30 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

As it currently stands, we will have to leave Thailand by flight before 31st August and we will not be allowed to return 

31 August? And why not allowed to return? I mean sometime it must be possible to fly back in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Scare mongering and sighting the opinion of one immigration officer who has not received any instructions and confirmation on anything and not verified even. You also state 2 dates of August 31st and July 31st. You make no sense. July 31st is the exemption expiry date and if not extended, you would not have until August 31st to leave. Please stop posting inaccurate information and rumors. Thanks 

Yes, I did mean *August 1 st* rather than the 31st .

The top Immigration officer that I spoke too had indeed received instructions from above and its a fact that as it currently stands , all *legal* overstayers will have to leave by August 1 st .

It remains to be seen whether the overstay fine will begin on August the 1st , or from the day your visa expired , which isn't such an important detail 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, I did mean *August 1 st* rather than the 31st .

The top Immigration officer that I spoke too had indeed received instructions from above and its a fact that as it currently stands , all *legal* overstayers will have to leave by August 1 st .

It remains to be seen whether the overstay fine will begin on August the 1st , or from the day your visa expired , which isn't such an important detail 

Sorry but there is a big difference between aug. 1st or the day when your visa expired some peoples visa expired from march so that's a big difference with aug. 1st 

50 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Sorry but there is a big difference between aug. 1st or the day when your visa expired some peoples visa expired from march so that's a big difference with aug. 1st 

It would be down to you to sort  out what you need to do with regards to your visa. 

Not sure an immigration officer would accept your excuse being "some bloke on the internet said"

I can't remember where but I read that the amnesty may be extended till the end of the year. I know they can be silly but I'm sure they will do something to stop the offices and borders overflowing on ,31st July.

23 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I can't remember where but I read that the amnesty may be extended till the end of the year. I know they can be silly but I'm sure they will do something to stop the offices and borders overflowing on ,31st July.

Well I hope they come up with an exit strategy for the amnesty & don't wait until too close to end of July to announce it.

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

It wasn't my intention to scare anyone and I am indeed enjoying my stay in Thailand .

I just wondered what other *legal* overstayers planned to do in the future .

I can envisage Thailand letter people out BEFORE Thailand lets them back in again and currently the only option would be to fly home , but yeah, things are likely to change 

Apologies to all the people that got scared after reading my post

You don't have to worry about a few days overstay,just pay the fine when leaving the country = 500baht/day.