Exit strategy for "legal" overstayers

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree with his opinion. When borders open it is  problematic what what options will be available. Will visa exempt entry for border bounce be still available. 

Folk here on expired permission of stay currently ok under amnesty should have a plan B. For some #1 on that list would be returning home. 

MANY folk "living here" on setv, visa exempt etc, may find not so simple for some time. 

Some think borders open nip over random border to obtain 30 day VE I to Thailand....Maybe /Maybe Not possible

What do you suggest as a plan b/ exit strategy? 

here's a bit of confusing news . Have a friend on a Canadian passport  entered Thailand on a SETV approx Feb 6 2020 and he is at Suvarnabhumi now boarding the Lufthansa to Toronto via Frankfort tonight Saturday May 30 Couldn't wait for his EVA air return flight to be honored , originally for April 27.

His SETV expired on April 5. When he checked in at LUFTHANSA desk they told him he will have to pay 20,000 baht overstay. Fortunately he was able to get the money on a credit card Before proceeding to 

immigration. Has not gone through immigration yet,I've told him that my understanding is he won't have to pay... so in about two hours he will know ... but now he has 20,000 thb ... to take to Canada and very upset.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Those on annual extensions retirement, marriage etc not mentioned. One would imagine they would be next stage and then tourist visas.

I read they would consider foreigners with Thai families trapped outside before allowing tourists.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Did the Thai Government announce that we are all expected to be trying to return home or is that just your opinion of what we should be doing ?

I think that's a common sense. Why a tourists would hang out here, instead of trying to find flights back home? I get email from the US embassy few times a week listing all the fights still available to US. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

I had planned on going to Sri Lanka and should be there now , but they closed the Country down .

I have no job and nowhere to live back home , so, no point in going back .

I am hoping that Sri Lanka will open their borders once more, so I can continue on my journey there 

I think this is a good plan. Sri Lanka is one of Asia's covid success story. You may also check out Macau and/or Malayasia. 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So currently your in Thailand? You have amnesty till July 31. (Might be extended) 

What is you situation and plan??

I am probably ok. I have a multi entry non O based on marriage. I can go to immigration and get 60 more days I just thought the other poster was being harsh and you said you agreed with his comment. He said it is not rocket science that people should be trying to leave but I was saying it is difficult for people. Was asking what you suggest they do if you agreed with him. I have read your comments before and know you are reasonable which he didn't seem to be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bwanajohn said:

His SETV expired on April 5. When he checked in at LUFTHANSA desk they told him he will have to pay 20,000 baht overstay. Fortunately he was able to get the money on a credit card Before proceeding to 

False info form the airline. There is no overstay fine now. Apparently they are not aware of the amnesty.

If he had known about it he could of just ignored them.

I don't think the term "overstay" is appropriate if the stay is legal.  "Overstay" means to stay longer than legally allowed. "Amnesty" is what is granted to someone who has done something illegal, but the relevant authorities agree not to prosecute it. I don't see why either term is being used here.

The Thai program in question extends the validity of stay, for all individuals who were legally in Thailand as of 3/26/2020, until July 31st. This means that applicable stays are entirely legal, are not "overstays", and no "amnesty" is required.

Does Corpus Christie mean that he did not actually qualify for the extension to July 31 in the first place? In which case, the he would indeed be overstaying, but in that case it is unclear why the July 31 date is being referenced as it wouldn't be relevant to that situation.

Edited by froggerman

1 hour ago, froggerman said:

I don't think the term "overstay" is appropriate if the stay is legal.  "Overstay" means to stay longer than legally allowed. "Amnesty" is what is granted to someone who has done something illegal, but the relevant authorities agree not to prosecute it. I don't see why either term is being used here.

The Thai program in question extends the validity of stay, for all individuals who were legally in Thailand as of 3/26/2020, until July 31st. This means that applicable stays are entirely legal, are not "overstays", and no "amnesty" is required.

Does Corpus Christie mean that he did not actually qualify for the extension to July 31 in the first place? In which case, the he would indeed be overstaying, but in that case it is unclear why the July 31 date is being referenced as it wouldn't be relevant to that situation.

What do you think would have been more appropriate for the thread title ?

I am overstaying my permission to stay , the date in my passport , whether thats technically legal or illegal  due to the amnesty  is irrelevant 

Everyone knew what I meant and my permission to stay fell after the 26 th March, which qualifies myself for the visa amnesty

On 5/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, philba said:

You should be actively trying to return to your home country.

The whole World is effected by the pandemic , the message from all Governments is asking/telling/forcing people to stay where they are , stay where you are and not to travel unnecessarily , should I ignore all that "advice" , putting myself and others at risk , and continue travelling around ?

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The whole World is effected by the pandemic , the message from all Governments is asking/telling/forcing people to stay where they are , stay where you are and not to travel unnecessarily , should I ignore all that "advice" , putting myself and others at risk , and continue travelling around ?

I may have missed where you're from, but the UK government is telling its citizens:

If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, treetops said:

I may have missed where you're from, but the UK government is telling its citizens:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Wasn't that advice issued in February /March when airlines were stopping their flights and World borders closing and the Gov were concerned about citizens getting stranded abroad?

Isnt the UK currently under lock-down and Brits being told/asked/forced to stay at home and only essential travelling permitted ?

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Wasn't that advice issued in February /March when airlines were stopping their flights and World borders closing and the Gov were concerned about citizens getting stranded abroad?

Isnt the UK currently under lock-down and Brits being told/asked/forced to stay at home and only essential travelling permitted ?

23rd March and still in place now.

Pretty much, some slight relaxation of rules happening now.

9 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Thailand has had 3000 odd infections and 53 deaths 

How is the UK getting on in that respect ?

Extremely badly, and I'm with you in as much as I wouldn't want to be there (are you British?) but when it comes to potentially breaking the law in a country not known for the hospitality of its prisons or reluctantly making the decision to head home, the former seems much more adviseable.

That appears to be the options going by your OP.

If Thailand doesn't open its land borders or relax entry requirement at airports/land borders and if most other Countries in the World keep refusing entry to foreigners , looks like I will have to fly home before July 31st .

Is anyone else in a similar situation , (there must be 1000's of us) and what are your exit plans ?

Edited by treetops

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

What do you think would have been more appropriate for the thread title ?

I am overstaying my permission to stay , the date in my passport , whether thats technically legal or illegal  due to the amnesty  is irrelevant 

Everyone knew what I meant and my permission to stay fell after the 26 th March, which qualifies myself for the visa amnesty

I didn't mean my comments as a criticism of you. Rather, I am saying perhaps it would be good to not internalize xenophobia. Lately foreigners, in particular westerners, have sometimes received bad press in Thailand or have been described as undesirable, unwanted, visa over-stayers, criminals, or the like. There are a very small number of bad apples in any group, but as a whole foreigners in Thailand are law-abiding and should reject xenophobia directed against them. If you are in compliance with the law, you needn't describe yourself as if you were not. Most people, given the opportunity, would prefer to not be committing illegal acts and to not need amnesty.

Given what you state, you are not overstaying, because your stay permission was extended to July 31st. What is printed in your passport was superseded by a law passed in Thailand and you have permission to stay until July 31st. You don't need amnesty because you didn't do anything wrong. So basically my intention was to defend you, and point out that you are not an overstayer and that you do not need amnesty, not criticize you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

As far as as possible thread title that would be clearer/more accurate in this respect, there are as many possibilities as you would care to imagine, "Exit strategy post-7/31", "Exit strategy for stays extended to 7/31", or whatever one would like. But again I did not mean by comments as a personal attack of any kind.

Edited by froggerman

On 5/30/2020 at 8:25 PM, bwanajohn said:

here's a bit of confusing news . Have a friend on a Canadian passport  entered Thailand on a SETV approx Feb 6 2020 and he is at Suvarnabhumi now boarding the Lufthansa to Toronto via Frankfort tonight Saturday May 30 Couldn't wait for his EVA air return flight to be honored , originally for April 27.

immigration. Has not gone through immigration yet,I've told him that my understanding is he won't have to pay... so in about two hours he will know ... but now he has 20,000 thb ... to take to Canada and very upset.

Lufthansa desk would not be the final say in the matter. When your friend goes through the immigration exit desks before security check, that's when the immigration officer would advise the fine, if any, to be paid.
In any case, if your friend had a SETV, it normally gives permission to stay 60 days, which would have put him well past 26Mar on his permitted stay which means he has no fine to pay due to the amnesty.  He should not have taken out 20,000THB until after talking to immigration. Hope he makes it safely home in any case.

20 hours ago, treetops said:

Extremely badly, and I'm with you in as much as I wouldn't want to be there (are you British?) but when it comes to potentially breaking the law in a country not known for the hospitality of its prisons or reluctantly making the decision to head home, the former seems much more adviseable.

That appears to be the options going by your OP.

I have no intention of breaking the law , I am currently considering my options .

My only two options now are to stay in Thailand or go back home .

Hopefully more options will arise in the future

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:59 PM, froggerman said:

Do we , us only that permission to stay status,   have to make a 90 day report at immigration ?

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Do we , us only that permission to stay status,   have to make a 90 day report at immigration ?

Nobody has to do 90 day reports until after July 31st.

• Like 1

If all go wait up to that end date .many shall be surprised flights are full , as people think maybe they go extend once more , but i dont think so and open borders to fly in for all shall not be early as first quarter 2021 ( my guess) ????.

Advice to you book your single flights OUT of Thailand now .KLM has 3 a week or it gone become a expensive overstay.....Thai gov. needs money ...!

Edited by david555

To add to post #54. 

We assume that visa exempt will be available. They may not issue them.

Also what will be require for reentry to Thailand? 

14 day quarantine. Expensive. Negative covid test. How many of those can they do say eg Vientiane.

If I was here without current permission of stay, I would be planning to return home.

Even there it's also 14 day quarantine but gov coverers cost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To add to post #54. 

We assume that visa exempt will be available. They may not issue them.

Also what will be require for reentry to Thailand? 

14 day quarantine. Expensive. Negative covid test. How many of those can they do say eg Vientiane.

If I was here without current permission of stay, I would be planning to return home.

Even there it's also 14 day quarantine but gov coverers cost.

No one knows what will happen in the future .

But if Thailand wants to open up its tourist industry , it will have to stop the insurance and quarantine entry requirements , no tourist is going to come to Thailand for two weeks and then spend 14 days in quarantine and then go back home again

9 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

But if Thailand wants to open up its tourist industry , it will have to stop the insurance and quarantine entry requirements ,

This thread which you started is about EXIT for folk here under amnesty.

Some countries are talking about future hubs. AU and NZ example. 

Japan the same and listed few countries.

AU and NZ on that list. 

Opening Thailand for "tourists" is long way off.

Folk here will need fly home. If in that situation I would hold off till end of June,  hoping for extension to current amnesty.

Hopefully if no plan to extend it the government would announce that so people could make plans.

4 hours ago, david555 said:

I

Advice to you book your single flights OUT of Thailand now .KLM has 3 a week 

According to planned schedules, there should be more flights from July 1. Emirates, for instance, lists at least two daily flights to Dubai and there are plenty of others, including direct flights to Europe by e.g. Lufthansa and Austrian. Whether most or even any of these will actually take place seems doubtful: there will probably be very few passengers on the outbound flight to BKK (at the moment KLM only takes cargo on the AMS-BKK leg) as entry restrictions remain and there are only so many persons leaving Thailand, for instance due to their visa running out. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

According to planned schedules, there should be more flights from July 1. Emirates, for instance, lists at least two daily flights to Dubai and there are plenty of others, including direct flights to Europe by e.g. Lufthansa and Austrian. Whether most or even any of these will actually take place seems doubtful: there will probably be very few passengers on the outbound flight to BKK (at the moment KLM only takes cargo on the AMS-BKK leg) as entry restrictions remain and there are only so many persons leaving Thailand, for instance due to their visa running out. 

That was my meaning ,  flights enough at the moment to follow the hopes from Thai gov. / immigration to help  those stranded (and that minority overstayers...)  ….to LEAVE Thailand , but not if all go wait until end date to go !

Forget as a westerner to fly in to Thailand for a certain # coming month's .

Edited by david555