Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Attack on Taiwan an option to stop independence, top China general says

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I thought Taiwan was already independent? It's not part of China. The problem with China taking Taiwan is that it's the tip of the iceberg. Who is next Vietnam, Cambodia. Same as when Hitler took the Sudetenland. Where do you draw the line?

I agree there are ominous parallels - including the financial support / investment in the CCP regime, just as happened with Germany. 

 

But the Taiwanese are not Chinese trapped in a foreign country as a persecuted minority, as were Germans in the Sudetenland as a result of the Treaty of Versailles, so there is even less justification for the CCP taking military action against Taiwan - or Hong Kong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:
  14 hours ago, robblok said:

I doubt the USA or any other country will stand against China for Taiwan. There is no oil

Not oil, but semi-conductors and technology. Taiwan is one of the world's leaders in designing and manufacturing cutting edge semi-conductors. These things run ALL the technology we use these days and are integral to nearly every piece of modern military hardware. China is at least a decade behind Taiwan in this technology, it's not a race they can easily catch up. Taiwan is crucial to America's self defense and entire industry. That is WORTH fighting for.

Even more important is the very strong bi-partisan support for a free Taiwan in the congress which can't agree on nearly anything. Trump has from the start been a strong supporter of Taiwan - his first congratulatory phone call was from the President of Taiwan and he proudly disclosed that to tell the Xi the game changed. Taiwan is a FREE DEMOCRATIC country and that means a lot for people.

Not only would the US strongly support Taiwan, so would Japan, S.Korea, Australia /NZ (they're one right), the UK and Canada. China's army and navy are paper tigers - yeah they have 1 million soldiers but most are just glorified police. Their weapons have not been battle tested and are generally considered sub-standard (yet Thailand is a willing buyer - go figure). The last time the PLA fought anyone was June 4, 1989 when they massacred thousands of innocent Chinese civilians in Tiananmen Square.

China's wonderful aircraft carrier would be sunk in about 5-minutes, as would most of their landing craft trying to come ashore. Taiwan is very well defended on their own and with the US base in Okinawa close by, China would not have a Chinaman's Chance of success. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Taiwan is China’s most sensitive territorial issue. Beijing says it is a Chinese province, and has denounced the Trump administration’s support for the island.

Really? Whatever happened to Tibet???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The province of Australia.

Nei Hau Cobber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Japan in this thread. The Js are itching to get stuck back into their mortal enemies again and have quietly built up their armed forces. Cannot do it by themselves but would definitely join in. 

They would likely not be included, unless directly attacked, for the very optics-reasons to which you allude.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

They would likely not be included, unless directly attacked, for the very optics-reasons to which you allude.

Understand your point but when the hot stuff is flying any help is ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Heppinger said:

AC-130 gunship for the "far more people", and the tech you talk about is fairy tales. as China relies on American made CPU's to put in their sub standard jets, probably explains why they keep crashing, due to America giving them out dated CPU's that fail quality control.

The US military relies on CCP-based suppliers for many components - unfortunately.  Those who facilitated this should be hauled-up on treason charges. 

 

As well, the missile-tech China has now could sink a lot of US naval assets - barring some secret tech to stop them.  I am not sure about their defenses against AC-130s.

 

I do believe we should stand with HK and Taiwan, but should also not underestimate the CCP enemy. 

 

A full-blown war would be more devastating for China than the USA, due to the relative power of each to attack each other's homelands - short of using ICBMs, which would be suicide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

They're making a move, though the timing smacks of opportunist COVID deflection. Let's be clear, this is not the Chinese. It is a despotic, out of touch pissant a-hole of an authoritarian club - utterly hated by the normal people - that needs its head removing for the betterment of the human race. Folk like to talk-up the power of the Chinese army etc, but they have no experience and would be a damp squib when it comes to it. The world should line up behind Taiwan and HK. If the nukes fly, have at it. 

When the Nukes fly... Do you really want to see the end of the world for Humans over a political point???

 Have you forgotten what Nukes do?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Not oil, but semi-conductors and technology. Taiwan is one of the world's leaders in designing and manufacturing cutting edge semi-conductors. These things run ALL the technology we use these days and are integral to nearly every piece of modern military hardware. China is at least a decade behind Taiwan in this technology, it's not a race they can easily catch up. Taiwan is crucial to America's self defense and entire industry. That is WORTH fighting for.

Yes - but that is all Western technology which was outsourced to Taiwan.  Putting too much of this production there was a national-security blunder.  We need to repatriate it, as step one.  I don't mean abandon Taiwan - but cover our own backside while supporting Taiwan.
 

45 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Even more important is the very strong bi-partisan support for a free Taiwan in the congress which can't agree on nearly anything. Trump has from the start been a strong supporter of Taiwan - his first congratulatory phone call was from the President of Taiwan and he proudly disclosed that to tell the Xi the game changed. Taiwan is a FREE DEMOCRATIC country and that means a lot for people.

Trump's foreign-policy team was purged starting with Flynn.  His domestic-agenda was similarly destroyed within months.  I would not put faith in Trump on this.  The call will be made by those with a much higher pay-grade than POTUS.  Maybe "they" have decided the CCP needs to go, but there seems to be a split right now among the ruling-elite.

 

45 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Not only would the US strongly support Taiwan, so would Japan, S.Korea, Australia /NZ (they're one right), the UK and Canada.

All of whom have massive trade with China.  That will not be easy to accomplish.  Just look at the battle to keep CCP-back-door compromised Huawei tech from taking over the UK.  Check out Chinese foreign-investment in the UK - is massive.

 

The Billions made by the CCP's party-members, in selling their people as wage-slaves to the Transnationals, were invested in the West - now composing a huge power-bloc. 

 

45 minutes ago, phkauf said:

China's army and navy are paper tigers - yeah they have 1 million soldiers but most are just glorified police. Their weapons have not been battle tested and are generally considered sub-standard (yet Thailand is a willing buyer - go figure). The last time the PLA fought anyone was June 4, 1989 when they massacred thousands of innocent Chinese civilians in Tiananmen Square.

China's wonderful aircraft carrier would be sunk in about 5-minutes, as would most of their landing craft trying to come ashore. Taiwan is very well defended on their own and with the US base in Okinawa close by, China would not have a Chinaman's Chance of success. 

What would happen to American naval assets, though? 

I would bet support would be flown out of Guam, to keep the Japanese out of it - for as long as possible, at least.  Too bad we don't have assets U-Tapo, any more.  Hopefully the Chinese won't get to use that base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

 

I do believe we should stand with HK and Taiwan, but should also not underestimate the CCP enemy. 

 

A full-blown war would be more devastating for China than the USA, due to the relative power of each to attack each other's homelands - short of using ICBMs, which would be suicide.

What really infuriates Washington is not Hong Kong and Taiwan, which are both populated by Chinese people by the way, but China's expansion towards the West!

 

The BRI (Belt and Road Initiative) has already pulled together the countries of Central Asia all the way to Turkey, as well as large parts of Africa.

 

China is not interested in pointless and ruinous military adventures, that is the domain of the US, it much prefers to conquer economically (soft power).

 

Just look at what is going on in Afghanistan.

 

While the US has spent huge amounts of money on military bases and occupation forces, China has signed deals to exploit the vast mineral reserves of the country.

 

American uniforms vs Chinese suits...who's spending his money the more wisely?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not just a China versus US conflict, The British, French and Australian navies are on the scene and India and Japan have an interest, as does Vietnam, Indonesia and the Filipinos. There are all the makings of a global conflict here.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

What really infuriates Washington is not Hong Kong and Taiwan, which are both populated by Chinese people by the way,  ...

The Chinese people in HK and Taiwan can speak freely w/o fear of being disappeared, jailed, etc.  That's the difference.  Their racial/cultural identity is not the issue.

 

Quote

... but China's expansion towards the West! 

The BRI (Belt and Road Initiative) has already pulled together the countries of Central Asia all the way to Turkey, as well as large parts of Africa.

The CCP's outspoken plan to dominate the world, you mean?  Yes, that is a problem, to say the least.
 

Quote

China is not interested in pointless and ruinous military adventures, that is the domain of the US, it much prefers to conquer economically (soft power).

 

Just look at what is going on in Afghanistan.

Yes.  And ironically, that is being made possible, to an extent, by US military operations. 

 

Transnational corporations and foreign nations misusing the US military as mercenary forces to protect their overseas investments - actions which do not benefit the American people in any way - is indeed an ongoing problem.

 

Quote

While the US has spent huge amounts of money on military bases and occupation forces, China has signed deals to exploit the vast mineral reserves of the country.

 

American uniforms vs Chinese suits...who's spending his money the more wisely?

Good point, and all the more reason for concern as regards the growing global-power of the CCP.

Edited by JackThompson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

No need for a military confrontation to weaken China, just "convince" American unpatriotic corporations, such as Apple, Nike, Levi's, and so on, to move their operations elsewhere.

 

China's wealth and power comes, to a very large extent, from Western corporations' greed.

 

China didn't have to conquer anything, it was all brought to her on a silver platter by the West, the same West which is now whining about the consequences of its own foolishness...

With war or a skirmish comes a final end to all US companies in China. So be it! India and almost most countries are all allies. China has Russia but Russia will look the other way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...