BANGKOK
MJKT2014

Unpaid condo refurbishment fees - obligation after many years?

Recently our condo (with new juristic management) presented me with a bill for unpaid refurbishment of the condo public facilities. Besides monthly services fees occasionally we get billed for a refurbishment at an irregular interval, depending when refurbishment is required which seems to be every 4 to 5 years for major items like the lifts or swimming pool.

I was surprised to be shown this year an unpaid bill for me from 12 years ago? I only live about 2-3 months in a year at the condo. I think the bill was lost in the condo admin as I was never told about it over the years by the juristic office, and I have paid interim refurbishment bills since then.

Even though I paid it was there any obligation for me to pay a bill that is 12 years old when I was never shown it at the time and only made aware of it this year do you think?

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you was the owner of the condo at the moment when the refurbishment was done

you have to pay it, doesn't matter if you was in Thailand at the moment or not

your appartment (And it's value) has indirectly beneficied from the work.

Maybe you wasn't in Thailand at the moment where the bill was presented for payemnt

and later the managment has forgotten to ask you again for the payement. It happens.

The new management is probably ''scanning'' all the old bills unpaid, trying to recover some money.

It seems it's not easy for the management to be paid, a lot of foreign owners are abroad

(Particularly at the moment where they can't even comeback in thailand) and the Thais owners

seem to ''forget'' to pay and still wait the last last limit to do it (Or even never do it)

So yes you need to pay or they could sue you in court for that if it's a big amount.

Ok, yep all clear now...??? <deleted>!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does the debt attach to the unit itself, or to the owner of record at the time?

More precisely, is a new owner on the hook if there is a debt when the sale closes, or is the juristic required to collect the debt from the former owner if they didn't file a lien on the sale and collect at closing?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

In order to register a condo with the Land Office you must present a form from the Condo's Juristic Person that states that all bills and obligations for the property have been paid

Once you get the Chanote in your name the land office is certifying that the property is free and clear unless their is a lien against it, which of course will be written on the back of the Chanote  

He owned the condo at the time of the original bill

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He owned the condo at the time of the original bill

Langsuan man replied to the post just above from Impulse, who is not the OP

and was coming with a different question from the OP request

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Langsuan man replied to the post just above from Impulse, who is not the OP

and was coming with a different question from the OP request

Ah maybe if he'd quoted the post it would have been clearer

• Like 1

Yes, I owned the unit at time of refurbishment of the public area and I have paid it as I don't want issues going forward and to the condos credit they waived the acquired late payment fine which would have quadrupled the cost.

** My question was simply is there no limit to the time of invoice being shown and obligation to pay? In this case it was 12 years before being shown the invoice.

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

** My question was simply is there no limit to the time of invoice being shown and obligation to pay? In this case it was 12 years before being shown the invoice.

As far as i know there is no time limit.

• Like 1

Shouldn't your refurbishment be covered by your annual Cam fees (Common area management) and the juristic/committee should budget for it?

This is what we do in our Condo and we had to replace two of the elevator slings, in which we budgeted for as well as improvements to the pool area.

The condo juristic management has an obligation to pursue all outstanding bills from any coowner.

If you are a coowner you should insist that they do so. It is on your interests.

Whether there is a time limit under the laws i am not sure, but i know that in my condos the management has pursued long standing debts against units and sucessfully won in court. It took a long time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dsj said:

Shouldn't your refurbishment be covered by your annual Cam fees (Common area management) and the juristic/committee should budget for it?

This is what we do in our Condo and we had to replace two of the elevator slings, in which we budgeted for as well as improvements to the pool area.

If there were refurbishment charges they would have to be confirmed at general meeting, and notified. They are normally charged as an additional item because they cannot be classed as the standard CAM fee unless they are added on by increasing CAM charges permanently which has to be agreed at AGM with i think a much higher quorum than the routine AGM.

The OP hasnt said whether the charges were  from agm and notified  however i doubt that the new management would be pursiung it if there was none.

Edited by jojothai
Add detail
  • Like 1