Seven shot in Louisville protests over killing of black woman - police

rooster59

Seven shot in Louisville protests over killing of black woman - police

2020-05-29T163251Z_1_LYNXMPEG4S1RC_RTROPTP_4_LOUISVILLE-PROTESTS-SHOOTING.JPG

Demonstrators gather outside the courthouse in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., to protest the police killing of Breonna Taylor, a black woman fatally shot in her apartment in March, May 28, 2020 in this still image taken from social media video. Content filmed May 28, 2020. Instagram/@the_stable_genius via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Seven people were shot and at least one was in critical condition after protests in Louisville, Kentucky over the killing of Breonna Taylor, a black woman fatally shot in her apartment in March, police said on Friday.

The situation downtown "remains fluid and continues to evolve," Louisville Metro Police spokesman Lamont Washington told Reuters in an emailed statement.

The police said they did not fire any shots in the incident but had made some arrests. They had earlier tweeted that there was a large crowd in the downtown area around 2nd street.

Late on Thursday, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer shared a post on Twitter which he said was written on behalf of Taylor's mother, urging protesters to be peaceful. "Understandably, emotions are high," he said in the tweet.

The Louisville shootings come as separate protests escalated in Minneapolis over the death of a black man seen on video gasping for air while a white police officer knelt on his neck.

(Reporting by Rebekah Mathew and Shubham Kalia in Bengaluru; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-30

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

For those who don't know .......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52646460

"Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical technician (EMT), was shot eight times when officers entered her apartment in Louisville on 13 March. They were executing a search warrant as part of a drugs investigation, but no drugs were found in the property."

Apparently the police raided the wrong address.

Shot eight times...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So, if eight people were shot, and the police didn't fire any shots, who did fire? 

Were the protesters shooting at themselves, or were others shooting at the protesters?

There seems no mention of looting or arson, so vigilantes "protecting" property wouldn't be the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

For those who don't know .......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52646460

"Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical technician (EMT), was shot eight times when officers entered her apartment in Louisville on 13 March. They were executing a search warrant as part of a drugs investigation, but no drugs were found in the property."

Apparently the police raided the wrong address.

I would presume the raiders had working bodycams, so what happened should be relatively easy to establish. Did they clearly and repeatedly announce themselves as police with a search warrant yes or no.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I would presume the raiders had working bodycams, so what happened should be relatively easy to establish. Did they clearly and repeatedly announce themselves as police with a search warrant yes or no.

As if a bad guy breaking in isn't going to yell "Police!" just to throw their victims off balance and make them compliant.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

I read it was a "No Knock" search warrant and the police broke in w/o any announcement.

26 minutes ago, Dap said:

I read it was a "No Knock" search warrant and the police broke in w/o any announcement.

That contradicts the alleged police statement, see the BBC article.

If 'no knock' search, I would expect in many US houses to get shot at.

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That contradicts the alleged police statement, see the BBC article.

If 'no knock' search, I would expect in many US houses to get shot at.

Yeah, I will admit this is a tough one. Who ya' gonna' believe? The cops or the news services? I give either one a 50/50 shot of believability :dry:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

nope no body cams and it was a no knock warrant so they could just smash in without announcing they were police

Edited by vermin on arrival

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

you mean did they act in self-defence as the camera was not working while an unarmed woman was threatening them?

38 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

From what I understand the police shot through a closed door and hit the woman eight times. If that is true, it’s a totally insane police action and they should be held accountable.

wonder what the great leader will tweet about this. 
good job, dangerous work, brave people?
any information on that yet?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, KKr said:

you mean did they act in self-defence as the camera was not working while an unarmed woman was threatening them?

What I meant was what I asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKr said:

wonder what the great leader will tweet about this. 
good job, dangerous work, brave people?
any information on that yet?

"We can be thankful that due to my hard work and fantastic efforts to employ millions upon millions of African Americans unlike the corrupt Obama administration, we can say that this lady that died in a hail of police bullets was not an unemployed bum. She had a job."

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

...and the boyfriend was on the phone with 9-1-1 saying "someone shot my girlfriend".

...and the boyfriend shot back not knowing that these were police and was arrested.

Are theses 2 statements in the correct order?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gold Star said:

"We can be thankful that due to my hard work and fantastic efforts to employ millions upon millions of African Americans unlike the corrupt Obama administration, we can say that this lady that died in a hail of police bullets was not an unemployed bum. She had a job."

Google finds no such quote.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KKr said:

Local matter. Trump is irrelevant. Better to focus on the liberal Democrat leadership there- assuming one is about accountability and fixing problems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KKr said:

Am I mistaken or have indeed the USA in three years gone back fifty-two in terms of civil rights ?  

You're mistaken. 250 years ago, the US had slavery, indentured servants and women weren't allowed to vote.

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1