Minneapolis police officer charged with murder of George Floyd

rooster59

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Except that's not remotely what happened. There was no chase - George Floyd was sitting peacefully in a car, not attempting to flee.  The police had not seen him stealing anything, though they had a report that he was suspected of paying with a counterfeit note (something that has not been proven, by the way).

The extensive video footage shows no real attempt to resist arrest that I can see. He was put into a police car, then pulled out of the police car, put face down on the floor and restrained with a knee on his neck for eight minutes until he stopped breathing, according to the statement of probable cause submitted by the Hennepin District Attorney. The whole time he was on the ground, he was pleading with the officer that he couldn't breathe. Multiple bystanders were also pointing out that Floyd was in severe distress, was not resisting and was unable to breathe. Even after he appeared to stop breathing, Chauvin still kept him pinned down for about another 3 minutes.

That's nothing like a suspect dying during a "hot pursuit" by a police officer who actually  witnessed a crime in progress.

Have you seen the videos, why were the cops scrambling around the back seat of car trying to contain Floyd. So, you want me to believe the cops pulled him out of the car for no good reason so they could kill Floyd in front of all cameras. 

After he was cuffed he fell to the ground to avoid being put in car. That's not resisting in your book?? If Floyd had sat in the car without fighting everyone he's be in a jail cell instead of the morgue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Have you seen the videos, why were the cops scrambling around the back seat of car trying to contain Floyd. So, you want me to believe the cops pulled him out of the car for no good reason so they could kill Floyd in front of all cameras. 

After he was cuffed he fell to the ground to avoid being put in car. That's not resisting in your book?? If Floyd had sat in the car without fighting everyone he's be in a jail cell instead of the morgue.

Ahh, I see now, it's Floyd's fault for 'resisting' & nothing to do with the Police knee.

Btw, nice trolling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Again, that's not remotely close to what Chauvin did. 

That won't matter. When will we find out why Floyd was taken out of the car? You have to prove Chauvin dragged Floyd out of the car with intent to kill him. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

That's exactly what I think: they killed him for no good reason at all.  The cops don't get the benefit of any doubt.

Edited by cmarshall

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

That won't matter. When will we find out why Floyd was taken out of the car? You have to prove Chauvin dragged Floyd out of the car with intent to kill him. 

Intent is not a requirement for third-degree murder in MN, which is defined as killing "without intent to effect the death of any person, caus[ing] the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life.")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-degree_murder#Minnesota

But not everyone agrees.  Trey Gowdy (of all people) thinks Chauvin should have been charged with first-degree murder:

"It took too long. You know, murder one in Minnesota is premeditation with an intent to kill murder two is an intent to kill without the premeditation. Murder three is the doing of an inherently dangerous thing that results in someone's death," Gowdy said. "So my question for the prosecutors and cops in Minnesota, Maria, is if you have a man with your knee on his neck and he is telling you, 'you're killing me, I cannot breathe. You're killing me.' How long's it take for premeditation to manifest itself?"

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trey-gowdy-says-minnesota-police-officer-charged-in-floyds-death-should-be-charged-with-first-degree-murder

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 1

I think George Floyd's needless death provided a trigger to the riots we see, but I don't think that's the reason people are rioting. The zeitgeist is not well and people are now able to look 4.5 years into the future and see whichever way they vote it's not likely to get much better. Platitudes signifying nothing or honest hatred, that's a bad choice. Me, I'd rather conquer the enemy than invite them within. That said, I'm not voting for either of them.

To say nothing of the fact that many of those people who are protesting have no jobs and a good chance that their old job will not be there when the Covid crisis is over.  If people feel they have nothing to lose they are more likely to express their anger.

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Was he continuing to resist after one of the officers checked and told the one with the knee on the neck that he couldn't find a pulse?  Was it necessary to keep the knee on the neck for two minutes after that?

"Floyd went face down on the ground with Chauvin's knee in his neck at 8:19:38 p.m., according to the complaint. At 8:24:24, Floyd stopped moving. Approximately a minute later, video "appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak."

Keung checked for a pulse on Floyd's right wrist, said he couldn't find one, the complaint states, and still none of the officers moved from their positions."   https://abcnews.go.com/US/derek-chauvin-knee-george-floyds-neck-minutes-complaint/story?id=70961042

At 8:27:31 pm Chauvin removed his knee from Floyd's neck, approximately two minutes after he was told there was no pulse.  I'm pretty sure Floyd was not resisting arrest for two minutes after he died.

• Thanks 2

On 5/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, yogi100 said:

Where does the report mention how long it takes to die if deprived of air.

It's a stupid, meaningless report for stupid people who want to excuse the actions of a power crazed thug and his cronies in police uniforms.

Why dont we just lynch the cop without a trial? Oh wait, the whole point of these protests is that we need to move away from that mentality. You cant denounce racist actions and in the same breath demand a summary conviction without due process. Kind of hypocritical...

Now more videos of other officers around the country committing similar acts are coming out.  He should be charged with murder (and convicted) but the problem is not racism or the current media narrative.  The problem is the system.  These officers are trained to take these actions which is why so many officers stood their and watched.  This officer was following protocol.  People have every right to be mad, police kill people every day in every country.  It would be great if the anger was directed at the state itself.  The state is the one who wrote the laws, the state is the one who confiscated the money to fund the police, the state is the one who wrote the standard operating procedures, the state is the one who arm these thugs and outfit them in military attire.  

Until people wake up and realize that its not the individuals but the entity of the state that is the source of this needless violence, people will continue to be killed and maimed in broad daylight.  Had someone tried to step in and stop this assault they would have been arrested for "obstruction of justice" and possibly shared George's ultimate fate.  If a group of civilians continually acted in this fashion we would call to disband that entity.  But since its the state we fright amongst  ourselves.  Team red and team blue are already pointing fingers at each other and distracting most everybody from the actual problem.  

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

Was he continuing to resist after one of the officers checked and told the one with the knee on the neck that he couldn't find a pulse?  Was it necessary to keep the knee on the neck for two minutes after that?

"Floyd went face down on the ground with Chauvin's knee in his neck at 8:19:38 p.m., according to the complaint. At 8:24:24, Floyd stopped moving. Approximately a minute later, video "appears to show Mr. Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak."

Keung checked for a pulse on Floyd's right wrist, said he couldn't find one, the complaint states, and still none of the officers moved from their positions."   https://abcnews.go.com/US/derek-chauvin-knee-george-floyds-neck-minutes-complaint/story?id=70961042

At 8:27:31 pm Chauvin removed his knee from Floyd's neck, approximately two minutes after he was told there was no pulse.  I'm pretty sure Floyd was not resisting arrest for two minutes after he died.

I was simply pointing out why Floyd got pulled from car, I can't explain away why the rest happened. As far as taking a pulse holding the wrist, I wouldn't give that method too much credit. It doesn't excuse anything, just saying that method is not always reliable.

Edited by EVENKEEL

Police can be aggressive violent b***ards, everyone knows it and has done forever, imo the guy was unable to control or conduct himself in an appropriate manner in front of a policeman and got more than he bargained for. And no I couldn't care less about some random dead guy, literally thousands of strangers die tragically every day  and certainly  I dont have the time or inclination to feel anything over a name the media are making a big deal about... To me its just the usual media circus show... protesters my A$$ most on the streets and especially after dark are looters, rioters and scum. 

This isnt about a dead black bloke who by the way was also a druggie and on Fentanyl at the time, its about a certain demographic and political agenda having an excuse to riot. 

Rioters and looters need to be dealt with by appropriate force, shoot some if need be but get control of the streets fast.  If you dont have rule by authority you dont have a society and it all comes down fast... the anarchists and commies have had caches of weapons etc  and waiting for the spark to kick off, some people just want to tear it all down and watch the world burn.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was simply pointing out why Floyd got pulled from car, I can't explain away why the rest happened. As far as taking a pulse holding the wrist, I wouldn't give that method too much credit. It doesn't excuse anything, just saying that method is not always reliable.

Some of your comments are laughable, some not.

This one 'takes the biscuit'....

Where would you suggest that a pulse is taken, when the neck is traumatised?

Just to give you a little education, on your risible post.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/how-do-i-check-someones-pulse/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

Some of your comments are laughable, some not.

This one 'takes the biscuit'....

Where would you suggest that a pulse is taken, when the neck is traumatised?

Just to give you a little education, on your risible post.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/how-do-i-check-someones-pulse/

I know from personal experience that taking a pulse from the wrist isn't fail safe and certainly won't hold up in court. 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

The man was pinned to the ground with a knee on his neck, stated that he couldn't breathe, went "nonresponsive" (limp), was checked for a pulse and none was found, and the knee stayed on the neck for three minutes after he went nonresponsive and two minutes after the check for the pulse.

Certainly looks like the cop was determined to kill the man long after he ceased to be a threat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

The man was pinned to the ground with a knee on his neck, stated that he couldn't breathe, went "nonresponsive" (limp), was checked for a pulse and none was found, and the knee stayed on the neck for three minutes after he went nonresponsive and two minutes after the check for the pulse.

Certainly looks like the cop was determined to kill the man long after he ceased to be a threat.

I've seen the footage and you could see a stream of what looks like liquid running down to the side of the road . The stream of liquid , imho is urine/pee , which is a thing released when your muscles aren't working anymore . This also means he is actually dead , and you can feel the lack of muscle movement over its body since you are sitting on him . This is clear murder , nothing to say more . No matter what he did ... your job as police is to detain a bad person , not kill him unless he really is a tread to you . this person was no tread , and i've seen the vid , and i stand by my point , this is a murder . All police on his body should all feel the relaxing of the muscles , so imho they are all the same degree of punishment . They should know if there is a relaxing of muscles then it means something very bad . ...

• Like 1

The other 3 cops are being charged as well. I know everyone is wanting all 4 white guys charged. You'll have to settle for Black, Latino, Asian and one white guy. Funny how the ethnicity of the cops has been omitted so far.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The other 3 cops are being charged as well. I know everyone is wanting all 4 white guys charged. You'll have to settle for Black, Latino, Asian and one white guy. Funny how the ethnicity of the cops has been omitted so far.

it doesn't support the narrative being pushed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

it doesn't support the narrative being pushed.

It doesn't support the narrative of four uniformed police officers holding a suspect down while one keels on his neck and all ignoring his statement that he couldn't breathe? 

Or the narrative of the four continuing to hold him down with knee to neck three minutes after he was non-responsive and two minuted after a check for a pulse found none?

• Like 2