Really Need A UK Bank Account

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, it's offshore and it targets expats, you do need to provide proof of your current address, and again if you move, I used a local bank statement, credit card statements aren't acceptable, or a mailed letter from HMRC.
The debit card is useful as I can use when visiting the UK and can pay UK bills online.

sounds useful, I will look into it myself, although I do have onshore UK accounts, an offshore addition sounds like it could be a sound idea. 

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

HSBC are London, UK based.

First Direct will not accept a non-resident.

Your posting fake information. ???? 

How come there my UK bank then with my Thai address.

HSBC is part of the worldwide HSBC Group and is wholly owned by Hong Kong-based the " Hongkong (H) and Shanghai (S) Banking (B) Corporation (C) Limited the largest bank in Hong Kong,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Always make me chuckle these type of threads when it's almost like a competition of who can come up with the best idea, then only to see the OP one by one come along and poo poo it. 50k GBP really isn't that much money when talking about lump sum pensions, I would probably just transfer it to my Thai account, the way you are talking makes it sound out that you're dealing with huge sums of money, or why not open a GBP acc with your Thai bank, or at least try to??

One positive thing I have done in all my years here is keep a UK account open, pretty grateful for that really, as would have no chance now of getting now. It also was non active for long spells so probably a bit fortunate it wasn't closed like the OP's one was.

When the Ops pension is vested and converted by the pension company from GBP-THB he could lose upto 10% on the conversion...5k isn't to be sniffed...even it was only a matter of a 50 quid it's still worth doing...You been in Thailand too long looking down at people about money....and mostly those that brag they have a lot are usually potless.

• Like 1

As the thread is 3pages long now, perhaps this has already been suggested.  I recently within the last 2 years, opened a Standard Bank account in Isle of Man.  Specifically catering for Expats, it's very accommodating and fairly straight forward.  Can be done online.

• Like 2

If the money is coming from a UK pension, why can it not be paid directly into your Transferwise Borderless account ? That has a sort code and account number and is a UK bank account in all meaningful respects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LOUIS65 said:

I went to SIngapore and opened a bank account with both HSCB and DBS. DBS is excellent, suggest you contact these banks in Singapore and find out exactly what is required to set up  a bank account .

Why would you suggest that when he needs a UK bank account?

Being traped in the UK since febuary I needed a UK bank account for universal credit and the eventual sale of my late fathers house after being away near 20 years I thought it would be impossible .

Passing by my local branch of Metro Bank I went in and inquired all I had was a UK driving licence my fathers adress and a leter adressed to me 1 hour later not one but two accounts up and running stuned by my success I was later declared an habitual resident by DWP without any paperwork or calls to add to my drunken stuper that night????  

Edited by sammieuk1

2 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Good idea?  He wants a UK bank account.

You obviously didnt read the previous posts, yes ideally a UK bank account, but he needs a facility to put GBP into his Transferwise UK account as stated in the OP, which that account would enable him to do.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"To be able to attend an appointment at one of our banking affiliates in London"

so that wont work.

Fair enough   

This is one of the reasons for my return to UK in sept to do exactly this although i am going back for a beer induced holiday as well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Is there ANY way I [...] can get a UK bank account whether traditional or online or even a virtual credit card in GBP or USD where i can load from here withouit  the need for a UK address... I am lost on this one.

Unfortunately, you cannot.  Without UK residence you will not be able to open a UK bank account. 

Register to Revolut and you will get an UK account for local transfers just selecting it (no need to apply and wait or to send money first) from the app.

It's very similar to TransferWise ( I have both).

Pro: they provide virtual debit cards you can use online, and also the physical card like TW

Cons: Fees to Thailand are slightly less convenient

Screenshot_2020-05-30-15-27-11-752_com.revolut.revolut~2.jpg

Edited by Sundown

Go to your Thai bank and open up a foreign currency account you can stipulate the currency , inform your provider in the U.K. to transfer the money there if you are really desperate I to have transfer wise account I could deposit £20 into your transfer wise account and you could then deposit Thai baht into my scb account  PM me if you need to do the latter option I can trust you for £20

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

If the money is coming from a UK pension, why can it not be paid directly into your Transferwise Borderless account ? That has a sort code and account number and is a UK bank account in all meaningful respects.

Transfer wise is not a bank it’s a currency exchange however they are affiliated to Barclays Bank I use them all the time very good rates and the charges are the best I have ever come across it reaches my Thai bank within 20 minutes and there are no additional charges from the Thai bank account 

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Transfer wise is not a bank it’s a currency exchange however they are affiliated to Barclays Bank I use them all the time very good rates and the charges are the best I have ever come across it reaches my Thai bank within 20 minutes and there are no additional charges from the Thai bank account 

Don't think that will work as he can't verify his account and Transferwise do not give the sort code and account number until that is done.

Oops! Replied to the wrong message!

Edited by Upnotover

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

It is a currency exchange service but it is a bank and regulated as such in the UK. I have a borderless account with a UK Sort code and account number. I transfer money into it from my other UK accounts all the time via Online banking. 

34 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Passing by my local branch of Metro Bank I went in and inquired all I had was a UK driving licence my fathers adress and a leter adressed to me 1 hour later not one but two accounts up and running stuned by my success I was later declared an habitual resident by DWP without any paperwork or calls to add to my drunken stuper that night????  

Yes I have one of their accounts, but they did run a credit check  when I opened it which would have checked the address and other details. I find them excellent.

what i'd do is contact uk banks; send them an email or give them a call, explain the situation and ask what your options are.

alternatively, depending on how much money you're taking about, return to the uk, stay with a family/friend and use their address to open an account, and have a nice holiday too.

• Like 2

Well of course when I leave the UK for good I wonder what the banks will say at that point - they will probably insist on closing the usual current accounts and there may be an option for special international accounts.

I use Bangkok Bank London Branch for my UK Pension deposits which can be held in s savings account in GB Pounds until I want to transfer to my Thailand Bangkok Bank Account. The British Pension Service insists on paying my Pension into a UK bank which fortunately Bangkok Bank has in London.

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well of course when I leave the UK for good I wonder what the banks will say at that point - they will probably insist on closing the usual current accounts and there may be an option for special international accounts.

just plan ahead, my sister emigrated to australia over 20 years ago, before leaving she moved her bank account to our mum's address and hey presto no problems. just use a family/friends address, banks prefer not to write to you these day anyway so will be more than happy to communicate digitally. easy.

8 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Thanks but no can do.... The deposit must only come from a source in my name.

This is a verification process.

Several of the online services are available. 

I tried to reopen a UK account same as you. 

Its pretty hard now.

Co oP bank messed me around then sent me a £25 compensation cheque. 

Payable to a Co oP bank account. (Which i could not open)

But any of the electronic banks will..

You can download the apps to the phone. 

I have a UK address but i don't live there. 

My brother does.

Suppose my driver license will be next 

Cannot even buy a UK lottery ticket on line anymore. 

Alot of offshore accounts require minimum balances of 25k 50k and 60k.

The best one for someone who just needs a bank for your pension pay standing orders etc  is Standard Bank isle of man. Minimum balance 5k.