Really Need A UK Bank Account

8 minutes ago, maprao said:

Bank isle of man. Minimum balance 5k.

I have a Standard bank account, been my main account for the past 10+ years, opened with a Thai address.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Have you tried Lloyds International (Jersey or IoM)? I opened Sterling, USD and Euro accounts without being UK resident and mostly by phone and internet.

It was a few years back so things may have changed, but it can't hurt to ask.

Lloyds bank International require an income proof of £50k per annum or deposit of £25k plus monthly fee of £7.50p

1 minute ago, Paul DS said:

Lloyds bank International require an income proof of £50k per annum or deposit of £25k plus monthly fee of £7.50p

Like I said, things may have changed. 

I certainly don't pay a fee anything like that level and, although I meet the income requirement, I don't recall that being asked for a non-premier account.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I use this account with Santander, my pensions are paid into it and I fund my Transferwise transactions from it, I opened it up online from Thailand a couple of years ago.

https://www.santanderinternational.co.uk/banking/bank-accounts/gold-bank-accounts

Correct, but under current rules, minimum balance is £25k for an "international customer" which you would be without a UK proof of residence, ie living in Thailand.  (UK resident, no minimum balance)

I have this account, it works....providing you maintain a balance of £25,000 {No interest!!}  There is a £20-£30 charge for a non sterling transfer, so always best to transfer as Sterling £.

There a few accounts like this now available.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Like I said, things may have changed. 

I certainly don't pay a fee anything like that level and, although I meet the income requirement, I don't recall that being asked for a non-premier account.

Rules etc change see  here:

https://international.lloydsbank.com/products-and-services/current-accounts/international-account/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have a Standard bank account, been my main account for the past 10+ years, opened with a Thai address.

Yes Standard Bank is okay, it is a South Africa Based Bank.

Certain restrictions as you can see here ie minimum balance, fees etc

https://international.standardbank.com/international/personal/products-and-services/bank/international-bank-accounts

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you can get round that........................... I did so when opening a TW account for my missus. I think I just transferred from my account.......................... I will see if I can check in my old records.

TW is your best route, no UK bank will open an account for you. Even with a 2m Baht transfer limit they provide an excellent, cost-effective service.

Plan B is to open a Foreign Currency Deposit account with, say, Bangkok Bank (the best choice when I did it) and ask the pension trustees to remit to that account.

If you sent money to your thai GF using TW,then she didn't need a TW account. You just added her as a recipient. You can't send THB using TW. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

is it an offshore account?  I don't know how you open a UK onshore account without having a UK address and being able to prove residency, by rental contract, utility bill etc.  That has been the law for a good few years. 

It is an international account, available to residents of many countries, it is not regulated by the UK regulators, read the Santander info supplied.

https://www.santanderinternational.co.uk/banking/bank-accounts/gold-bank-accounts

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, poohy said:

Try Kickstart / ist contact they can open a UK bank account with a UK bank  obvously for  set up fee maybe worth it though

https://www.1stcontact.com/kickstart/bank-account

I too am in a similar situation, but with no real urgency. I looked at that link, it says you need a UK residence and availability to turn up for an interview. So I guess that’s out, out of interest, do you know how

much the fee is? 

10 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

you can open an online account with Monzo or Starling (two very good online banks) you will need a UK address (daughter, son or friends address)? you will also need to aply online using a VPN so it shows you are online in the UK. Good luck

The first hurdle will be he won’t be on the electoral role at that address,the main check of any credit check. Even if his family will agree to put him on the electoral roll (which he can actually do himself on line) it takes about a month or two to appear,other questions will, be how long he’s lived at that address and if less than 3 years,what his previous address was.They also ask what current bank you use and a form of id,like driving licence.   This is all to do with fraud and money laundering regulations. Fir that reason I’ve always kept myself on the electoral role at the house I rent out as well as registered with a GP.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

@CGW I agree with you.  This is why I recommended it to him. They will open with a,Thai address. 

Very helpful customer services and multiple currency accounts. 

Just go to your Thai bank and tell them you want to transfer GBP fro your account to your TW account. I did this in January. Remenber to take your TW account No, sort xode etc. It's quite a large form but it's the only way. Then you have to tell your pension provider to change your bank details to your TW account. Fixed!

12 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Is there ANY way I can get GBP into my account any other way, or does anyone know of any way iI can get a UK bank account whether traditional or online or even a virtual credit card in GBP or USD where i can load from here withouit  the need for a UK address... I am lost on this one.

Many thanks in advance.

Set up a Revolut, or Transferwise account, you then have a UK Bank account and can move funds anywhere in the world, and into most currencies at near interbank rates.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Ask a UK friend to deposit the money for you and transfer money to him?

Could u open a foreign currency account here.we transfer money from uk and leave it in sterling here 

Try an International bank there are a few in Thailand. UBS has a branch in BKK.

Alternatively Skybanking in the UK do offshore accounts so they may be able to assist or know how to.

The other option is a FCD (Foreign Currency Deposit) account with say BKK in GBP but you have to go to head office to open one and make a small deposit to activate it. The funds can stay there and then could be transferred to an offshore account in GBP leaving enough about £5,200 to transfer to a Savings Account in baht. I've had GBP sat in my FCD account for some years.

Edited by Anon999
Missing comment

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I too am in a similar situation, but with no real urgency. I looked at that link, it says you need a UK residence and availability to turn up for an interview. So I guess that’s out, out of interest, do you know how

much the fee is? 

No residence needed i was told although i have a family address but dont live there for 27 years

25.00GBP

I am returning for few months to Uk is sept so appointment no problem

Edited by poohy

13 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

you can open an online account with Monzo or Starling (two very good online banks) you will need a UK address (daughter, son or friends address)? you will also need to aply online using a VPN so it shows you are online in the UK. Good luck

And he can try Revolut.com and Monese.com, both will give you a UK bank account number.

When I opened them I received the debit cards on my address in NL. But don't believe anything else was needed. 

And I am sure that when I opened my Transferwise account a verification payment wasn't needed. Probably things changed.

13 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I use this account with Santander, my pensions are paid into it and I fund my Transferwise transactions from it, I opened it up online from Thailand a couple of years ago.

Things have changed unfotunately you need identity ID and UK address ID to open any sort of UK account nowadays. Its all about money laundering checks.

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

what i'd do is contact uk banks; send them an email or give them a call, explain the situation and ask what your options are.

alternatively, depending on how much money you're taking about, return to the uk, stay with a family/friend and use their address to open an account, and have a nice holiday too.

You cant do it unfortunately. They are very very strict on address ID.

Proof of address

• Current EU/EEA photo driving licence.
  • Benefits entitlement letter.
  • HMRC Tax Notification.
  • Local authority tax bill for the current year.
  • Utility bill (such as gas or landline phone bill) dated within the last six months.
  • Bank, building society or UK credit union statement.
  • UK, EU/EEA mortgage statement.
  • Current UK provisional driver’s licence.
  • UK credit card statement.
  • Tenancy agreement issued by a solicitor, housing association, local council or reputable letting agency.
Edited by jimn

10 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Aww. Glad I made you chuckle.

So who had the bestest idea and has the OP acted on any of them?

Perjaps ypu should stick to the news section. What on earth are you doing in forums

My wife opened a current account with Lloyds recently. Done totally online with no webcam or anything and no visit to the bank. ID and address checks were all electronic behind the scenes.