The lockdown should be over now !

On 5/29/2020 at 10:27 PM, Matzzon said:

So, nothing more than a normal flu, like I and many here said from start.

If I tell you that  Covid 19 is no worse than the common cold, I expect that you would accept that as the gospel truth as well.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Know not me said:

Obviously whatever they tried has not worked in U.S. or U.K

If no lockdown what do you suggest keeps the numbers in Thailand low and soaring in the U.S

what exactly did they try? The USA has not had a consistent national strategy. There have been individual state strategies ranging from negligent to superb. If you wish to see what a national strategy achieves look at Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Finland. Sweden has a national strategy too, but it has resulted in one of the world's highest fatality rates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If I tell you that  Covid 19 is no worse than the common cold, I expect that you would accept that as the gospel truth as well.

No! Why is very simple. I just don´t believe anything you say or post.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It is refreshing and I am grateful to be in Thailand where the safety of the people trumps money and politics. Pun intended.

• Haha 2

On 5/30/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

New estimate by CDC reduces COVID-19 death rate to just 0.26% (IFR) from WHO’s 3.4% (CFR)

Perhaps this is a more realistic look and assessment:

311343322_CVMortality.jpg.1da77bf9f1cf82980b7bb7e214528e4c.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

It really varies widely by location. But you certainly didn't want to be in the top death rate countries listed above:

680302434_CVMortality2.jpg.0a8938bfb86177e77d61d61e11794da0.jpg

Even Thailand had an almost 2% death rate among confirmed cases. The 0.08 number is deaths per 100,000 population.

258826899_CVMortalityTH.jpg.793c2a01221194ab43cfab8ff83a063c.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

If not lockdown then what?

you know, something above your head, shiny ...

and it touches your skin and out of cholesterol, it makes vitamin D...

sick people and those white ghosts people that need to be as white as possible, they don't go out in the sun 

and old people in Western countries are locked up in their rooms and there is NO strong SUN from fall to after spring... 

and airco in hot countries & heating system in cold countries, makes your mucus membranes dry out =  you get cold/flu easier than in hot humid air ...

no the heat does not kill the virus, it survive 60 °C

low vitamin D status (off course nodoby will test this) + DRY AIR (airco / heating system) = ideal as your immune is WEAK

start to get the point ?

lockdown smuckdown .... winter in Europe / USA, old people on the way to their death .... no sun or exercise in hospitals / retirement homes...

yes/no, start to see the picture ?

ah, Malaysia & Singapore you say :  muslim countries, women covered up, too hot to go in the heat, more $$$ = airco room at home, in car, in office, in shopping malls

Cambodia :  no money to waste for airco, too poor, very few sick & death, no lockdown, ...

Singapore spike ?  many foreign poor workers living with bad hygiene conditions, same as "thai" worker camps... bad / cheap food, no soap, sanitation

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

you know, something above your head, shiny ...

and it touches your skin and out of cholesterol, it makes vitamin D...

sick people and those white ghosts people that need to be as white as possible, they don't go out in the sun 

and old people in Western countries are locked up in their rooms and there is NO strong SUN from fall to after spring... 

Most Thais avoid the sun like the plague, particularly women. Why do you think you saw so many of them riding round on their scooters wearing face masks before Covid? To keep the sun off their faces. They also wear foundation, like Snail White which contains sun screen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps this is a more realistic look and assessment:

311343322_CVMortality.jpg.1da77bf9f1cf82980b7bb7e214528e4c.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

It really varies widely by location. But you certainly didn't want to be in the top death rate countries listed above:

680302434_CVMortality2.jpg.0a8938bfb86177e77d61d61e11794da0.jpg

This is very misleading.

You post the "observed case-fatality ratio", which is "the number of deaths ... per 100 confirmed cases" (see your source).

So these numbers you show here depend first of all on the volume of testing, and the "success" of that testing, and do not reflect the real death rates.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The chart reports CV deaths per 100,000 population, and the percentage of fatalities among confirmed cases. How is that misleading?

If it's misleading at all, it's on the undercounting side because of people getting sick and dying without being formally diagnosed due to lack of testing or testing not being done posthumously, etc.

No they don't report "deaths per 100,000 population", not the pictures you took. Obviously you misled yourself too.

If you go to your source, you see that what you think and make appear as the titles in the pictures "Observed case-fatality ratio" and "Deaths per 100,000 population" are not the titles, but they are 2 buttons.

Active in your picture is the button "
Observed case-fatality ratio", which is explained in your source as "the number of deaths ... per 100 confirmed cases". So this is _not_ as you claim "deaths per 100,000 population".

If you go to your source and click on that button "Deaths per 100,000 population" a new graph appears, which shows a very different picture, not the scaremongering 16.2% mortality anymore. 

239166296_Deathsper100000.png.12e99822f2ad707e1ac72f939ed7f241.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually was a virtual lock down mot disimilar to what Thailand had. Schools closed (still are), sports events and any other large gathering banned, restaurants and hotels closed.  Ban on internationsl travel. Businesses urged to let people work from home and those that could, did including government offices. They weren't stopping people on the street to ask why they were out but then didn't do that here either.

I think you cannot say "a virtual lock down mot disimilar to what Thailand had", not at all.

Yes, government offices, banks, some shops in Phnom Penh, especially bigger ones, with temperature checks and alcohol at the entry. Only very few shops required masks, and that also only for a short time.

Yes, schools are closed, gyms too, and yes, large gatherings are banned. But International travel was not really banned, but travelers coming from some countries such as Iran, USA, Italy, France, etc. No visa on arrival, so tourism was made difficult. However there were and are all the time business travelers arriving at Phnom Penh airport, mainly from China or South Korea.

But there was no curfew, no beach ban, no alcohol ban, no travel ban (except travel from Phnom Penh to the Provinces during a few days at Khmer New Year, which was not really effective because most did travel the days before already). These are the draconian lockdown measures which cause so much frustration in Thailand, and Cambodia did not implement them.

"restaurants and hotels closed" - yes, but because there are no more tourists, hotels are empty. They close or reduce due to lack of guests. My friends showed me plenty of pictures, and we had video calls when they were sitting together in restaurants, no masks, in groups, with beer, or in and around the hotel pool, again no masks, and groups. 

I had video calls with my friends at many Birthday parties, with 15-20 Farangs, also older ones, and locals, sitting close together, no masks, no Cover-19, but BBQ and beer and wine. 

Yes, the government requested the population to use masks, and social distancing, but in a quite friendly way. You could do it or not, up to you.

So yes, of course, there were measures, but nowhere near as draconian as in Thailand, not comparable, not at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

I think you cannot say "a virtual lock down mot disimilar to what Thailand had", not at all.

Yes, government offices, banks, some shops in Phnom Penh, especially bigger ones, with temperature checks and alcohol at the entry. Only very few shops required masks, and that also only for a short time.

Yes, schools are closed, gyms too, and yes, large gatherings are banned. But International travel was not really banned, but travelers coming from some countries such as Iran, USA, Italy, France, etc. No visa on arrival, so tourism was made difficult. However there were and are all the time business travelers arriving at Phnom Penh airport, mainly from China or South Korea.

But there was no curfew, no beach ban, no alcohol ban, no travel ban (except travel from Phnom Penh to the Provinces during a few days at Khmer New Year, which was not really effective because most did travel the days before already). These are the draconian lockdown measures which cause so much frustration in Thailand, and Cambodia did not implement them.

"restaurants and hotels closed" - yes, but because there are no more tourists, hotels are empty. They close or reduce due to lack of guests. My friends showed me plenty of pictures, and we had video calls when they were sitting together in restaurants, no masks, in groups, with beer, or in and around the hotel pool, again no masks, and groups. 

I had video calls with my friends at many Birthday parties, with 15-20 Farangs, also older ones, and locals, sitting close together, no masks, no Cover-19, but BBQ and beer and wine. 

Yes, the government requested the population to use masks, and social distancing, but in a quite friendly way. You could do it or not, up to you.

So yes, of course, there were measures, but nowhere near as draconian as in Thailand, not comparable, not at all.

So very similar to the lockdown in Thailand aside from not closing beaches, still serving alcohol and no curfew. Thanks

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So very similar to the lockdown in Thailand aside from not closing beaches, still serving alcohol and no curfew. Thanks

And of greatest importance, very similar in complete and utter ineffectiveness as well. 

Go read some of what Levitt has said. First, do it because he has predicted everything. Second, do it to get a clue. Third, if you wont do it, he is basically saying infection numbers taper off on their own in very predictable ways. It has nothing to do with governments or regulations. 

Important note: people who win Nobel prizes for crunching numbers usually can spot a pattern or two. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

And of greatest importance, very similar in complete and utter ineffectiveness as well. 

Go read some of what Levitt has said. First, do it because he has predicted everything. Second, do it to get a clue. Third, if you wont do it, he is basically saying infection numbers taper off on their own in very predictable ways. It has nothing to do with governments or regulations. 

Important note: people who win Nobel prizes for crunching numbers usually can spot a pattern or two. 

I have, but aren't you the one that said this virus is like an earthquake, nothing can stop it, nothing governments can do about it, nothing humans can do about it, the worlds going to end, I can link that post if you like? Have you changed your mind now?

30 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

What you are advocating is herd immunity. The UK initially went down that road and quickly changed tack as infections soared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hmm similar indeed:

You sit in and around the pool with your friends
- Thailand: Arrested, Fines
- Cambodia: no problem 

You sit in a restaurant, at a table together with your friends:
- Thailand: No no no, not even with your spouse.

You invite a few (2-4) friends for a little party, eat and drink together, in your private property:
- Thailand: No no no, snitches call police, police arrests you.

A neighbor complains to the police about noise from your house:
- Thailand: Even if it is quiet already when the police arrives, and everybody sleeps, they enter your house, check the fridge for alcohol, pull you out of the bed and arrest you.

You enter a supermarket or a mini mart without mask:
- Thailand: No no no! 

You enter a supermarket or minimart chain:
- Thailand: Register, load app, QR code, name phone number, in and out! 
- Cambodia: no problem, no registration

You go to the beach, alone or with a friend:
- Thailand: No no no, police arrests you. Fines.

You go to the beach and into the water for a healthy swim:
- Thailand: No no no, police pulls you out of the water, arrests you.

You drive around on your motorbike without mask:
- Thailand: No no no, police stops you. Fines up to 20000 THB.

You're in Asia somewhere, have a visa for TH/KH, and need to do a business trip to TH/KH (by air)

- Thailand: No no no, no international travel
- Cambodia: OK, quarantine, virus test, but OK 

You want go to another province:

- Thailand: 14 day quarantine on arrival, health stickers, village chief inspects you/your house! 

You want / wanted go to the capital, or one of the big cities:

- Thailand: checkpoints (Pattaya, Phuket, etc), only documented essential travel allowed
- Cambodia: no checkpoints, please don't travel, but if you want, then so be it.

(Nevertheless, zero new cases for more than a month, no deaths.)

And you want to tell me it is "very similar"? ???? ???? ????

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, Langsuan Man said:

I haven't gotten Covid 19

Thank you Thailand for keeping me safer than my own country would

And it sure as hell didn't happen as an accident but through the government and Thais being mature enough to accept some minor pain versus DYING 

Have you been tested? Over 90% who get it have no symptoms.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 5:23 PM, Know not me said:

If no lockdown what do you suggest keeps the numbers in Thailand low and soaring in the U.S

Government suppression of true figures?

On 5/31/2020 at 5:23 PM, Know not me said:

you honestly believe the government figures are a true and accurate picture of the effect of the covid virus in thailand?

i'm not sure about the usa, but so far so goodish in the uk, though after whats been happening recently the next 3-4 weeks will give a clearer picture.

21 hours ago, Onrai said:

It is refreshing and I am grateful to be in Thailand where the safety of the people trumps money and politics. Pun intended.

Right on,the thais are putting people before profit. And are doing the right things to keep people safe,stopping the sale of alcohol,stopping people going on the beach,curfews etc etc,anyone living or staying in thailand should be very grateful and to quote Frank sinatra......They did it there way.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1