Drug price ripoff

GalaxyMan

I went to the International Hospital on Samui the other day for a skin issue. Saw a dermatologist and was prescribed several medications, which she warned me were expensive because they were imported. All in all, a 5-day supply of these medications was almost 10,000 baht at the hospital's pharmacy. Expensive indeed. ????

There's a local pharmacy in Maenam whose owner is an MD. Very nice lady, has always seemed very smart whenever I've interacted with her. Speaks very good English. A friend took photos of my prescriptions and showed them to her. She knew immediately what my problem was from the prescriptions. If I had gotten the drugs from her, same drugs, it would have cost around 500 baht.

That's just too much of a difference. Is there somewhere that I can report this? Is this kind of a ripoff in drug pricing still allowed? I thought that they 'dealt' with that recently.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Are you sure they would be the same brand of drugs?  That is 20x markup and most hospitals will be in range of 1.5x to about 4x.  I suspect the pharmacy would have provided a lower cost brand as there can be a huge difference in brand price.  Just something to check before you take higher.  

• Like 1

E

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure they would be the same brand of drugs?  That is 20x markup and most hospitals will be in range of 1.5x to about 4x.  I suspect the pharmacy would have provided a lower cost brand as there can be a huge difference in brand price.  Just something to check before you take higher.  

What he said...or possibly a billing error at the hospital. 

Suggest you go back to the hospital and request a detailed bill as a starting point. With cost for each drug.

The 500 baht price cannot possibly be correct for 5 day supply of 3 imported medications. Imported meds just aren't that cheap.  But neither are they usually anywhere near 10,000 baht for just 5 day supply even at a government hospital.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

liberalization of medical equipment, remember the post from a few days ago = they ask whatever they want

They must be on some kind of commission these hospitals, they are always trying to sell their imported more expensive versions first, to be fair pharmacies often try it too

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They must be on some kind of commission these hospitals, they are always trying to sell their imported more expensive versions first, to be fair pharmacies often try it too

To be fair doctors often are the reason name brands are provided - they believe name means quality (and perhaps a pat on the back for some).  

Prices vary even between private pharmacies.

Codiphen in Chiang Mai 50 baht. Codiphen in Chiang Rai 120 baht.

Co-Diovan in Chiang Mai, 1300 baht. Co-Diovan in Chiang Rai, 836 baht.

Guess all one can do is shop around.

Tourism is zero so how does a hospital make money these days

Just fleece the poor sods who come in thinking they will be cared for

Go to a public hospital next time, you may have a longer wait, but the pocket wont cry

• Like 1

Years ago in Ram hospital for a leg infection. When I checked out the Dr. gave me a prescription for antibotic. I said no tell me the name I will buy at the pharmacy I said I will not pay 100 dollars for something I can pay 10 dollars for. We had a back a forth, he is under pressure to sell hospital medication. I paid the bill minus his needs he did give me the name.

Is there somewhere that I can report this...

Thanks for the laugh...the correct question: " Can I find anyone of authority in Thailand that cares if a farang is getting ripped off by hospitals "   The obvious answer is NO!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Is this kind of a ripoff in drug pricing still allowed?

I was always lead to believe it was encouraged and applauded when dealing with foreigners! Not only drug pricing!

Many people think that the prices at hospitals and doctors need to be accepted. I always ask BEFORE I use the service of a hospital or a doctor how much they will charge. They are just businesses like any other business. They are not your friends feeling pity with you.