BANGKOK
4MyEgo

Statutory Declaration

We need to get a stat dec signed, now I know that Thailand doesn't have any Justice of the Peace here, however I am thinking, could a Notary sign a Statutory Declaration, or could it be signed by a person or agency recognised by law here in Thailand ?

Worse case scenario will get a friend back in Oz to sign it for me, only thing is will have to wait for the original to bes sent to me and the way things are going at the moment with the post, can't wait till xmas.

So would either a Notary or a person or recognised agency be the way to go, preferably one that doesn't charge like a wounded bull.                       

People who can witness a stat dec signed.

Justice of the Peace.

police officer.

court registrar.

bank manager.

medical practitioner.

dentist.

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

People who can witness a stat dec signed.

Justice of the Peace.

police officer.

court registrar.

bank manager.

medical practitioner.

dentist.

In Australia yes, maybe I wasn't clear enough, someone to witness a stat dec here in Thailand.

Posted (edited)

I've had a Power of Attorney document notarized by a Queensland JP here in Chiang Mai. The document is now in force with my attorney in Australia. If it's any help, PM me for details.

The bonus prize is JP's aren't allowed to charge.....though lunch or coffee are appreciated.

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

In Australia yes, maybe I wasn't clear enough, someone to witness a stat dec here in Thailand.

I had a Notary do mine for Birth Certificate etc to send to the UK to get my gov. pension!!😷😷😷😷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Any of the above will do a doctor did mine. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

A bank manager here will suffice........have done same for me with regards to NZ and UK pension declarations. This was OK'd by both Govt depts.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

I've had a Power of Attorney document notarized by a Queensland JP here in Chiang Mai. The document is now in force with my attorney in Australia. If it's any help, PM me for details.

The bonus prize is JP's aren't allowed to charge.....though lunch or coffee are appreciated.

Thanks, and yes I was a JP from 1990 until last year helping out a few local farangs from time to time when required, but then the changes came, i.e. you had to reapply all over again as opposed to remaining a JP, so going to to the local member to get a character reference, and then before the courts to get sworn in wouldn't be in my interest from here 🙂

It looks like I will have to keep waiting for further replies as I don't believe that those listed on Kawasaki's reply @ #2 & #7 would be able to sign as I recall people had to be Australian Citizens.

At the end of the day it might have to be a Notary and I know they charge, or ask my friend in Sydney to sign and send original to me.

Every now and then the UK pension send a "Proof of life" form.....I usually take it with my passport to the Tourist police, it has always been acceptable for them in UK.

• Thanks 2

As a general principle a Notary can witness a Statuary Declaration. However the more important consideration is the intended receiver of the declaration. Will the receiver accept such signators if they are unable to verify the witness.

Have you considered using the Australian Embassy. Although probably more expensive and if the document is within their remit , it is unlikely to be rejected by the recipient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It looks like I will have to keep waiting for further replies as I don't believe that those listed on Kawasaki's reply @ #2 & #7 would be able to sign as I recall people had to be Australian Citizens.

Yea, below Australia Attorney General website says one of the requirements of a witness is  "a connection to Australia."   See below website for full details and partial quote

https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Statutory-declarations/Pages/who-can-witness-your-statutory-declaration.aspx#who

Find an approved witness overseas

You can make a Commonwealth statutory declaration if you are overseas. But it must be witnessed by a:

• person on the approved witness list who has a connection to Australia
  • notary public appointed overseas
  • employee of the Australian Trade and Investment Commission who is:
    1. in a country or place outside Australia, and
    2. authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, and
    3. exercising his or her function in that place
  • employee of the Commonwealth who is:
    1. in a country or place outside Australia, and
    2. authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, and
    3. exercising his or her function in that place

You may be able find an approved witness at an Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Smartraveller for contact details.

Approved witnesses who are overseas are allowed to charge a fee for being a witness.

What it means to have a connection to Australia

Having a connection to Australia means the person:

• is licensed or registered to practice in Australia, or
  • holds an Australian membership to a professional organisation, or
  • is appointed in Australia

For example:

• a doctor who is registered to practise medicine in Australia can witness your declaration (a doctor who is not registered in Australia cannot)
  • an accountant who has an Australian membership to Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand

•  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

As a general principle a Notary can witness a Statuary Declaration. However the more important consideration is the intended receiver of the declaration. Will the receiver accept such signators if they are unable to verify the witness.

Have you considered using the Australian Embassy. Although probably more expensive and if the document is within their remit , it is unlikely to be rejected by the recipient.

From the research I have looked at this is what it says, word for word.

"You can us a notary public to witness your statutory declaration even if they are called something different under another country's legislation". For example, they may be called a notary or a public notary.

"Before using a notary public overseas, you should check the person has been appointed by a government to witness documents.

I believe when I weigh everything up including going to the Australian embassy, the only choice I have is to get a notary or public notary to sign the stat dec, as for the cost I think it's about 1,500 baht, unless anyone knows of a JP floating around my way in Udon Thani/Sakon Nakhon who would be prepared to witness my wife's signature.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

From the research I have looked at this is what it says, word for word.

"You can us a notary public to witness your statutory declaration even if they are called something different under another country's legislation". For example, they may be called a notary or a public notary.

"Before using a notary public overseas, you should check the person has been appointed by a government to witness documents.

I believe when I weigh everything up including going to the Australian embassy, the only choice I have is to get a notary or public notary to sign the stat dec, as for the cost I think it's about 1,500 baht, unless anyone knows of a JP floating around my way in Udon Thani/Sakon Nakhon who would be prepared to witness my wife's signature.

I am not familiar with Australian law, but from my limited knowledge ( if any ), is it not the case that each jurisdiction in Australia have their own seperate requirements of who can sign.

• Like 1

the guy at Thai888 law in Jomtien is from Melbourne,maybe he can assist you.

• Thanks 1