On death in Thailand - Bank accounts

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually quite good as this document is second only to ID card in importance.  And there should be a government record also available.  In some cases both will indeed go amiss (vermin/fires and such) but with a proper lawyer alternative documents can be obtained (been there and done that and it does not take years normally).  The above also seems to have legality issues with children born out of wedlock so expect the combined issues are the cause of the extra long delay.  The law is actually quite simple if normal documents are available.  But take your point that for some drain of account a normal option.

In rural Isaan, Amphoe marriage is not very common, I think i am the only one in the family who has this. And when i asked the wife about her birth certificate, she doesn't know where it is either, or her parents certificates. Not that any of them have significant sums in the bank. My next project will be to try and get these documents for them. None of them have wills.

7 minutes ago, rickudon said:

And when i asked the wife about her birth certificate, she doesn't know where it is either, or her parents certificates. Not that any of them have significant sums in the bank. My next project will be to try and get these documents for them. None of them have wills.

I believe copies of birth certificates were required to be sent to Bangkok some years ago for a central database.  In my wife's case government record was destroyed by a school fire (records kept at school) before that time so had to use the local character witness of family process as family copy also long gone due vermin.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rickudon said:

It is not just us foreigners who have a problem. My wife's Uncle and Aunt died 2-3 years ago, and their children haven't been able to get the money from the bank yet.  They have been asked for birth certificates of the deceased (what's the likelihood of a 80 year old paper document still being around in rural Thailand), and cannot be found in the local records. Marriage certificate (but just Buddhist marriage so none).

Now being asked for NINE character witnesses who knew the parents and the children who will be called by the Amphoe to come and swear to the relationship (The Amphoe hasn't called anyone after months). Is it surprising that the Thai answer is loot the account via an ATM and forget the pennies.

I suspect that few Thais have all the documents required to allow simple probate. Inheritance law in Thailand needs modernising and a publicity campaign to get Thais to be ready for it.

So sorry to hear about that.
I have my birth certificate and other related documents with me.

Some years ago when my then wife applied for a new UK passport as her country of birth, a UK colony, was to become independent, that she would be a citizen 3rd class, our children both born in different countries ( Holland and Saudi ) were now a citizen 2nd class.   My wife then ended up with 2 passports one from her now independent home country, in case of war neither country would protect her so to speak.   My work was almost all overseas so it left us not sure of where we belonged.

I agree that your second paragraph second sentence is the ideal answer for me but a well trusted friend of 20 years is very hesitant in this.

22 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Its been accepted up to this time, I would love to make sure given my yearly extension is due in 2 weeks. Fat chance though still being locked out of the country and my home. 

Keep safe and good luck on your return, I am sure extenuating circumstances will be accepted.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:31 PM, Speedo1968 said:

Keep safe and good luck on your return, I am sure extenuating circumstances will be accepted.

Thanks, I can hold off, not that me or my wife want to..I think they need to get families with children reunited first.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:04 PM, lopburi3 said:

1.  There are set limits to daily transfers allowed.

2.  If bank freeze account internet is not going to work.

3.  Do you need an SMS for transfer?  Am sure you do to set up a new transfer account.  Will wife have your phone and be able to coordinate?

There is no limits whatsoever in transferring money from your own account to a joint account and no SMS confirmation is required.

I can't see the bank freezing any account the minute I die. It would probably take weeks but my nephew would transfer the money the moment I die.
To be more clear first of money in my account will be credited to a joint account. No SMS required no limit.
The money would then be transferred from our joint account to my wife's account. No limit no SMS. No SMS

it might not be exactly legal but knowing Thailand as I do Thailand as I do. I can't see any problems. There is nothing dishonest about it. There's no way of proving that I did not transfer all the money to her account just before I died. 
Setting up Internet banking is very easy nowadays. You just link the accounts

On 6/4/2020 at 2:02 PM, gamini said:

There's no way of proving that I did not transfer all the money to her account just before I died. 

It will be obvious. 

Just before you die you are usually not able to do internet banking. 

You may be in a hospital,  in an ambulance,  mentally disabled... whatever. 

Many people will know it.

Wouldn't the lawyer in the UK handling the UK will be able to get the money from the Thai bank? Without the need to go to Thailand.

I have a similar concern about money in a Thai bank in case of my death. However, I do not live in Thailand; I only spend 6 months a year in Thailand.

21 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Wouldn't the lawyer in the UK handling the UK will be able to get the money from the Thai bank? Without the need to go to Thailand.

I have a similar concern about money in a Thai bank in case of my death. However, I do not live in Thailand; I only spend 6 months a year in Thailand.

The Thai bank would require probate which means probate court in Thailand, I think that means a Thai lawyer since a UK lawyer is not licensed to practise here.

9 minutes ago, Trillian said:

The Thai bank would require probate which means probate court in Thailand, I think that means a Thai lawyer since a UK lawyer is not licensed to practise here.

That makes sense; but wouldn't the UK lawyer use a Thai lawyer do that part?