Why is my thai card getting declined for an online purchase??

I have an account with Krungthai and have used my Krungthai Shop Smart card to make online purchases in the past (2 weeks ago it worked), but now when I try it it says my card was declined.  What gives?  Why did it work 2 weeks ago on lazada but now on a different site it gets declined?  Does it matter if the online retailer is based in Thailand or not?

Any ideas on how to fix this, fellas?

• Like 1

And if nobody knows how to fix this, maybe I can try to transfer money from my Krungthai account to paypal.  Not sure how to do it though.  On the phone app under payments and transfers, there is no paypal option.

Call your bank and ask them why it was declined.  

At the start of the Covid restrictions here I had the same problem with my KTB card on an account that I used only for online purchases.   The first question KTB asked me was whether I was out of the country on a certain date in February (I wasn't) and they told me that the card had been cancelled as they had connected my card number with an attempted fraud.   I had to get a new card and all was back to normal.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, USslugga said:

And if nobody knows how to fix this, maybe I can try to transfer money from my Krungthai account to paypal.  Not sure how to do it though.  On the phone app under payments and transfers, there is no paypal option.

Only a guess if you have been buying stuff paying baht if the item you buy only deals $.. £,, € .. it won't be accepted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USslugga said:

maybe I can try to transfer money from my Krungthai account to paypal.

If you have a Thailand-based paypal account you should be able to register your Krungthai debit card (or the Krungthai account) to use for funding purchases.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichCor said:

If you have a Thailand-based paypal account you should be able to register your Krungthai debit card (or the Krungthai account) to use for funding purchases.

yep, not wrong and if KTB doesn'T want to help you with online purchases out of Thailand this might be one of  the only ways.

my Kasikorn Bank visa debit card seems to be declined with everything that isn't charging THB as well, no clue if its something the bank can sort out but it's annoying

edit: there is also that issue with UnionPay cards bs that doesn't work half the time

Edited by kekalot
words
  • Like 1

Had similar problems with my BKK Bank debit card. 

Couldn't pay my True vision bill over the internet ( card not valid etc. ) 

Last week it worked , but I couldn't use it to pay TOT  ( card not valid etc. ) 

Works on Lazada and E bay all the time.

I don't know if it is because Mastercard is not as secure as Visa , who knows.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The first question KTB asked me was whether I was out of the country on a certain date in February (I wasn't) and they told me that the card had been cancelled

Good security but my first thought was why hadn't they let you know?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topt said:
20 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The first question KTB asked me was whether I was out of the country on a certain date in February (I wasn't) and they told me that the card had been cancelled

Good security but my first thought was why hadn't they let you know?

The bank couldn't answer that either but as I had not suffered any loss it didn't matter.

• Thanks 2

On 5/30/2020 at 6:07 PM, RichCor said:

I was chuckling slightly when I ran across this sight at my local MegaHome. So much for using a single terminal and card processing agent. ????

275716625_MegaHomeCardProcessingStation.jpg.72c05dacc68e1b64faf59cd8c329a74d.jpg

My guess would be that different banks might charge the vendor different rates on different cards. So if the customer pays with x bank's issued card the shop will use the machine of bank x for a lower fee 

It happen to me Last week  as I tried to pay with my international Visa credit card, I selected to use Kbank for authorization site, when I went to pay for it and putting my info in, it took me to Kbank Visa authorization site and it got declined with 2 different credit cards. I went back merchant website and then chosed UOB bank for authorization and that worked.
Since this has happened to me before, there was something wrong on Kban Visa authorization website.

I always use my Thai PayPal account linked to my kbank virtual credit card for overseas purchases. That limits the number of places that know the cc details to ONE (PayPal). 

For in country purchases/bills I use kbank app. 

Never had a problem. 

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

I've tried paying for items outside of Thailand with my Thai Paypal account. Couldn't do it. The reason I've been told is because I have no work permit and under Thai Law I can not transfer money outside of Thailand. Now I don't keep money at any bank in Thailand.

Wanted to purchase from a retail store in Germany some bike gear, Kasikorn Debit Card and SCB Card not accepted through their secure payment provider. Must have to do with the systems between countries and providers.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, USslugga said:

What type of card is it? Visa or MasterCard? Is it connected to TPN = Thai Payment Network? You'll see the logo on the card. If it's connected to TPN, that might be the reason for not working. If not,then contact your bank. FYI, you can not transfer money to PayPal from your Thai bank account. You can connect your card and/or bank account to PayPal and use it as payment option online where that option is available.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, USslugga said:

And if nobody knows how to fix this, maybe I can try to transfer money from my Krungthai account to paypal.  Not sure how to do it though.

Thai PayPal accounts don't allow you to transfer money from a Thai bank account to your own PayPal account. Basically, a Thai bank account can only be linked for withdrawals. To make payments, you need to link a card.

21 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

I've tried paying for items outside of Thailand with my Thai Paypal account. Couldn't do it. The reason I've been told is because I have no work permit and under Thai Law I can not transfer money outside of Thailand. Now I don't keep money at any bank in Thailand.

Who told you that? PayPal? I've never had a Thai work permit, but I make payments to payees outside of Thailand with my Thai PayPal account all the time.

Don't feel bad, my atm/debit card from my stateside bank was permanently blocked a few months ago after I used it on Lazada, despite the fact that I had used the same card several times over the past couple of years on Lazada. They said I would have to visit the bank branch in person when I came home and get a new card. When I told them that this was not really a very good time for them to be doing this to people....during this world crisis, they said, "we're sorry but there is nothing we can do".

On 5/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

Call your bank and ask them why it was declined.  

At the start of the Covid restrictions here I had the same problem with my KTB card on an account that I used only for online purchases.   The first question KTB asked me was whether I was out of the country on a certain date in February (I wasn't) and they told me that the card had been cancelled as they had connected my card number with an attempted fraud.   I had to get a new card and all was back to normal.

The Krung Thai did that with my KTC credit card. They issued a new one and then, within five days,, they phoned me and said they would send a new card with new number as my card had been connected to a fraud, and they knew it wasn't me.

I was grateful. It shows they were on the ball as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

I always use my Thai PayPal account linked to my kbank virtual credit card for overseas purchases. That limits the number of places that know the cc details to ONE (PayPal). 

For in country purchases/bills I use kbank app. 

Never had a problem. 

Some places don't have Pay Pal Payment options.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:32 AM, Kwasaki said:

Only a guess if you have been buying stuff paying baht if the item you buy only deals $.. £,, € .. it won't be accepted. 

No,

It would be changed automatically into the requested currency! 

is it a debit or credit card? From my experience if it's a debit card, you cannot use it for any online shopping unless you activate with the card supplier ( viz. Visa, Master card etc ). Even then there's no guarantee that it will work. With Lazada I've found the best option to be C.O.D. With Thailand PayPal, even with a Thai bank account linked, you cannot shop online unless you have either a credit card or a Paypal balance to offset the purchase against.

Edited by TigerandDog

As everyone has said ASK YOUR BANK. 

My Kasikorn debit card won't work for some overseas online purchases. So they issued me an online only 'virtual card', no plastic, just a different 16 digit number, an expiry data and a 3 digit security number. It works. 

Shop Smart looks like it's a "premium" debit card, with a 1600 baht annual fee.  I'd take this opportunity to go in and change it for the Classic debit card which is only 200 baht a year.  Unless you really want all the insurance products it comes with. 

This often happens to me with Lazada, and I use Lazada very often, at least once a week. It won't accept ANY of my credit cards, whether they are from Thailand (SCB, Citi) or US (Citi). Other times, any of those cards work with Lazada.

I've never had problems with any other websites. The credit cards are in excellent standing at all times.

For me, it's a Lazada issue.