Open beaches, low price rooms...but can I get there?

moontang

16 hours ago, moontang said:

The HuaHin vans were cleared out several years ago, with most of the others at VM.  You seen Pattaya vans there recently?  There or Mo Chit would be convenient for me.

i saw minibuses in pattaya going to bangkok, not sure where they drop people

21 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I can appreciate being thrifty, but are you saying that a 1000 bht taxi is keeping you from Pattaya? Wow....

What's wow about it?

I never took a taxi even though I could have afforded it as I preferred to spend my money on having a good time. 

However, I can't believe any farang would go to Pattaya for the beach. Samet or Chang perhaps, and they ain't only a thousand baht in a taxi.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's wow about it?

I never took a taxi even though I could have afforded it as I preferred to spend my money on having a good time. 

However, I can't believe any farang would go to Pattaya for the beach. Samet or Chang perhaps, and they ain't only a thousand baht in a taxi.

For me ease of travel is part of my good time. Understand taking the bus from BKK to Pattaya is an easy task as I've done it several times. But, your next time to Pattaya treat yourself to a private taxi service to pick you up at the meeting place at BKK. You're worth it.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Haha 2

On 5/31/2020 at 5:25 PM, rott said:

disruption

epicentre

fake food

drinks made with thimbles 

Your experience of Pattaya is very different from mine and makes me wonder why you want to go if this is your opinion of it. 

For what it's worth the train leaves Hualamphong Mon to Fri at 6.55 am on the dot and arrives between 10.30 and 12.00. Very cheap and very pleasant if you have the time. 

I did not realise the vans (mini-buses) still left from Victory Monument I thought they had been chased to Morchit years ago. I think some still leave from Ekamai. 

You forgot to mention the water that is so dirty, the Exxon refinery actually makes it safer.https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environment/black-water-pours-into-the-gulf-of-thailand-right-next-to-pattayas-walking-street-video?amp

Does anyone know if there are any 4/5 star resorts offering cut rate deals right now for families? I looked through the Centara ads for discounted rooms. Despite advertising family suites, if you type in 2 adults and 2 children under 11 there are absolutely ZERO rooms available of any size at anytime.

I just want a nice resort where my family can stay, preferably in Jomtien, with a nice pool and restaurant, and enjoy the resort experience like people used to before all this ridiculous government foolishness started.

Is anything like this actually open? Or is the opening that they imply is happening now one in name only, with no real intention of actually permitting any of the services that would genuinely allow tourists to return?

Edited by Monomial

On 5/31/2020 at 2:27 AM, moontang said:

No, paying it isn't, commenting on someone else's choice to take the safer and roomier bus and saving 900 THB is.  

If you think buses are safe in Thailand, think again.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:04 AM, moontang said:

Wants and reality are different things, just ask the thousands lining up for food giveaways.  Some of you seem to have forgotten that enforcement of decades old savings deposit rules caused the biggest disruption to expat life since the end of the Vietnam War, and the epicenter of the commotion was the Jomtien Immigration Office. You and your partners enjoy your fake Western food and drinks made with a thimble..I like spicy Thai food, cold beer, and hot girls...

I’m sure these “hot girls” will be over the moon with you.

”Where hotel ? We go boom boom ?”

”Yes sweet heart, but it’s about a forty five minute walk. Those 10 baht busses are a rip off and don’t even get me started on the motorbike taxis ...”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Government buses are safer than cars. I've traveled thousands of miles in LOS on those buses and only one minor accident caused by something outside the control of the driver.

The dangerous buses are the tourist buses that have only one driver for long distance and allow thieves in the luggage compartment.

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

They are a hell of a lot safer than flying down the road in a tin can private taxi with a driver that may not have slept in 24 hours running on red bull.

6 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

I’m sure these “hot girls” will be over the moon with you.

”Where hotel ? We go boom boom ?”

”Yes sweet heart, but it’s about a forty five minute walk. Those 10 baht busses are a rip off and don’t even get me started on the motorbike taxis ...”

Maybe it is due to the large number of homosexuals in Jomtien, but it is usually easy to find a girl in that vicinity.  But yes, taking a hooker to your hotel on a moto taxi shows you are high class, and maybe even wealthier than an English teacher.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The dangerous buses are the tourist buses that have only one driver for long distance and allow thieves in the luggage compartment.

And the mini-buses of course. 

On 5/31/2020 at 1:36 PM, allanos said:

You take your life in your hands if you do this.  I did it once, never again. But the route is probably a lot quieter now than when I did it but doesn't mean it is safer. 

Its down the road, not long distance,should be ok

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

Does anyone know if there are any 4/5 star resorts offering cut rate deals right now for families? I looked through the Centara ads for discounted rooms. Despite advertising family suites, if you type in 2 adults and 2 children under 11 there are absolutely ZERO rooms available of any size at anytime.

I just want a nice resort where my family can stay, preferably in Jomtien, with a nice pool and restaurant, and enjoy the resort experience like people used to before all this ridiculous government foolishness started.

Is anything like this actually open? Or is the opening that they imply is happening now one in name only, with no real intention of actually permitting any of the services that would genuinely allow tourists to return?

Have you tried Agoda?  I was offered a 70 sm condo for 10 usd per night.

7 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

Its down the road, not long distance,should be ok

Straight and flat, too.  The bad accidents are often in the mountains with the double deckers, and tired driver.  Greenbus is excellent if you are up North.  The van is probably the most dangerous, but plenty renting cars to drive for the first time on the left or in LOS seem to be the soldier of misfortune types.

Edited by moontang