no group dining?

seajae

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Are you sure? Only 1 person per table, even if they live together in the same house?

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. They all deserve to go out of business permanently (and they will) if this nonsense continues.

I know the government here aren't the brightest but I didn't think them so utterly stupid that they would split members of the same family between tables only to return home together after the meal.

It is not the government.

At a restaurant in Homepro recently I sat with the missus - other people sat together on other tables. I did remove the cardboard divider as I wasn’t prepared to have a meal with that obstruction. The staff did not stop me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I think they probably did.

The government certainly didn’t say one person per table - it was a case of that restaurant’s interpretation of social distancing.

I have not read the exact rules, but I would wonder why a business would make up their own rules to the disadvantage of their own business.

I know in Thailand everyone makes up their own rules, but they are usually to their own advantage.

• Like 1

McDonalds here in Samui allow two people per table for four, but you have to sit diagonally from each other so that you  are not face to face.  

They have actually stuck red crosses on the other two seats, and on the table to indicate where you should not sit.

I agree with earlier posts that the restaurant is not at fault for the rules.

Having said that I think Thailand has done a good job seeing as I am stuck in the United Kingdom with deaths approaching 40000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiocfaidh said:

But, as the OP stated, other restaurants in the shopping centre where the rogue Japanese establishment was located had more than one person at each table!

It's the same everywhere.  One place they tied the chairs to a pole so we could not move them.

But some rural places don't care.

I am surprised you have only just noticed this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think they probably did.

The government certainly didn’t say one person per table - it was a case of that restaurant’s interpretation of social distancing.

I agree with the OP and, whilst I would not have told them where to stick their restaurant, I would not accept this ‘new normal’ interpretation from a restaurant.

Nonsense. Each restaurant is given a maximum number of diners allowed inside at any time, and it's calculated by the number of tables in the restaurant. All shops in the mall have a maximum customers allowed inside at any time and the number is displayed at the entrance. My hairdresser even had a maximum allowed inside the salon, which was only 4.

3 hours ago, tiocfaidh said:

Having said that I think Thailand has done a good job seeing as I am stuck in the United Kingdom with deaths approaching 40000.

I agree, Thailand has done a great job of fudging its statistics, but the numpties continue to believe which is the goal I guess.

• Sad 1

Am i glad I am in OZ again, yes we were in lock down as well but I just can't understand

the Thai Gov to make those restrictions having near zero covid-19cases. I live in WA and we

had no infections for a couple of weeks apart from a live sheep exporter coming from

Dubai to pick up their sheep. But due to our strict inspections they were tested and not

allowed to disembark and transferred to isolation hotels. Things are nearly normal now

pubs are open (limit of 100 customers) gyms are allowed to open on the 6th (June)

Yes we still follow social distancing laws (which does not bother me at all). Beaches are

open,parks are open and virtually every thing else. I feel sorry for Thai people which 

can not get back on their feet and I am not talking about the sex scene. My lady friend

lost her business (hairdresser) mainly because her landlord would not drop the rent.

So she is just surviving now. Actually I am better of now I still get my pension and the

Australian government paid me extra money even so I spend less because of the

restrictions. I am just careful when I go out for shopping because I am in the age groop

most likely to catch that virus. And comparing that virus with the flu is nonsense.

We have a vaccine for the flu but not for covid-19, I get my flu shot every year and never

had the flu apart from the common cold. So you can hate me for that post but I feel

sorry for Thai people and all Farangs still living in Thailand or trying to get back.

19 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

no group dining?

It appears, with this government, if you want to do anything in a group, you have to congregate in a local market, or meet on the B.T.S. !

Bizarre rule, as are many of the others in place.

It'll be the same nonsense in the UK once the government eventually formulates a plan.  Let's not forget that a business can't operate under these restrictions for too long before they go under.  Notwithstanding they're already struggling from the current lockdown.  

6 hours ago, Susco said:

I have not read the exact rules, but I would wonder why a business would make up their own rules to the disadvantage of their own business...

The politically correct term is "intellectually challenged", I believe.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Am i glad I am in OZ again, yes we were in lock down as well but I just can't understand

the Thai Gov to make those restrictions having near zero covid-19cases. I live in WA and we

had no infections for a couple of weeks apart from a live sheep exporter coming from

Dubai to pick up their sheep. But due to our strict inspections they were tested and not

allowed to disembark and transferred to isolation hotels. Things are nearly normal now

pubs are open (limit of 100 customers) gyms are allowed to open on the 6th (June)

Yes we still follow social distancing laws (which does not bother me at all). Beaches are

open,parks are open and virtually every thing else. I feel sorry for Thai people which 

can not get back on their feet and I am not talking about the sex scene. My lady friend

lost her business (hairdresser) mainly because her landlord would not drop the rent.

So she is just surviving now. Actually I am better of now I still get my pension and the

Australian government paid me extra money even so I spend less because of the

restrictions. I am just careful when I go out for shopping because I am in the age groop

most likely to catch that virus. And comparing that virus with the flu is nonsense.

We have a vaccine for the flu but not for covid-19, I get my flu shot every year and never

had the flu apart from the common cold. So you can hate me for that post but I feel

sorry for Thai people and all Farangs still living in Thailand or trying to get back.

The annual flu vaccine doesn't guarantee protection - it's only good for the strains that are most likely to occur, so don't assume that you'll never catch it.

• Like 1

If you don't like a restaurant for whatever reason simply don't go there. It is up to the restaurant to accept you as customer and you also have to accept their rules. You have no right to be their customer. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you sure? Only 1 person per table, even if they live together in the same house?

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. They all deserve to go out of business permanently (and they will) if this nonsense continues.

I know the government here aren't the brightest but I didn't think them so utterly stupid that they would split members of the same family between tables only to return home together after the meal.

The issue is that groups of friends can say they live together even if they don't.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Susco said:

And that is where you went wrong, because they didn't make those rules.

Call the Thai government and tell them to stick it

Interpretation of the rules varies from restaurant to restaurant. I have no problem finding restaurants that let me sit with friends we just need to sit every other seat. Same with the plastic screens. Some have them some don’t. 

• Like 2

My wife and I went to several restaurants this past week and had no trouble sitting together except at 1 place.  It sounds like it might be part of the same chain as mentioned in the OP.  We could not sit together.  Ishtar after is a woman with her 5 year old daughter walked in and was also told that they could not sit at the same table.  They walked out.  In the same area there were other chain restaurants where multiple people were sitting at the same table.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

How would the restaurant know you live in the same house?

• Haha 1