no group dining?

seajae

I agree the rule is bizarre, but having a go at the staff and telling them where they can stick it? I assume this rant was all in English? I bet that was highly embarrassing for your family and made you look a complete chump. It always amazes me when foreigners here have a go at the staff who are low paid and just following orders.

There was an American / Canadian woman in the hairdressers I go to near Ploenchit the other day. She was having a go at the two women (who are both extremely friendly) because apparently her hair colouring price wasn't the same as she paid in January. She was being argumentative to the staff because they didn't inform her of this when she booked. I felt embarrassed for her just watching it and in the end she ended up walking out. Pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That's not my problem.

This problem has been reported in Chiang Mai. 

I support social distancing but what this is IS people with a little too much knowledge they 

don't really understand. If a man comes with wife they have been locked down together for 

two months then told by a Mall resto they cannot sit at the same table this is NONSENSE!

Or else what, he just picked her up in the car-park?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you sure? Only 1 person per table, even if they live together in the same house?

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. They all deserve to go out of business permanently (and they will) if this nonsense continues.

I know the government here aren't the brightest but I didn't think them so utterly stupid that they would split members of the same family between tables only to return home together after the meal.

There are many restaurants where you can sit together, but not in malls. 

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I did remove the cardboard divider

I was gobsmacked when I read this as I did not know such Thai restrictions existed - no such unbelievable stupidity here in Cambodia! A group can sit around one table and enjoy the food with alcohol! Who knows, perhaps one day in Amazing Trusted Thailand:-

Prison Visitation Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images ...

Most restaurants i frequent here in CM allow only 2 people at a 4 seater table. this is still stupid when i take the wife and son. Places with 1 person per table have just lost the plot.

• Like 1

I see many of the chain restaurants allow 2 people to sit on a table originally for 4 and in my local mall they were doing good business. 
MK were only allowing 1 person to a booth ( for 4 ) and tbh that is a nonstarter for me, might as well eat at home !!

Eating outside of the malls or the bigger chains seems to be more relaxed,

for example: ate at a Southern Thai food restaurant the other day, they had a book at the entrance that nobody bothered about and the tables were set up with 2 chairs only but many had dragged chairs over and 3 or 4 sitting together.

As with the rules for wearing masks, temperature checks and providing hand sanitizer the social distancing rules for eating will fizzle out in the more remote areas and only the malls will enforce these rules....for the time being.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There are many restaurants where you can sit together, but not in malls. 

I think we've found the crux of the problem here - it's the malls.

Go to restaurants outside of the malls and this issue probably doesn't exist.

• Like 1

The rules only apply in town as you go further out for example in Pattaya you go to the darkside and it is no holds bar as they say. Like tonight until things changes we ate local, they took our temperature gave us a bit of gel and we all sat together all 5 of us, wife, son his wife, daughter and me.

I had the exact experience at the Mall in Hua Hin. They had booth seating for four. But the rule was only one per booth.  My wife and I walked out. Than we went to the food court and it was two per table rule. But there were a couple of tables right next to us that had 7 and 5 thais.  Seems one set of rules for farang,  and one for thais.  Normal 

This is a stupid rule! Want to know how Thais handle it? A couple of days ago I and 3 other family members went to a large outdoor  food area for dinner. The tables were set up with one large seat on each side. Comfortable for 2 but ok for 4. Almost all Thais there. When we got there we noticed that a group of about 10 police and other government people were standing nearby. All of the people, including us, who were sitting in family groups quickly fanned out to seperate tables and sat 2 to a table. The Police went around and took pictures and spoke to the food vendors and then left. At that time the many families rejoined each other at the same tables.

19 hours ago, tropo said:

You are punishing the restaurant for restrictions that are not their doing and certainly not their choice. Why not help them out?

Under the current utterly ridiculous rules one would go to a restaurant for the sole purpose of feeding himself, a bit like horses aligned in a stable. When I take my family out I want to share the good food, the wine and have a good time being together. This just isn't possible with the current outlandish restrictions. So I'll keep my money and hope everyone does the same until the Cabinets of idiots get their act together.

I reckon there should be only only three rules imposed to restaurants: the total number of bodies in the room, the space between tables, and having only one staff allocated to one table, from seating to check out. Let the patrons decide who they want to share their table with. I am 67 seven, been dining out a lot and never had to share my table with a total stranger. 

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 8:20 PM, Susco said:

And that is where you went wrong, because they didn't make those rules.

Call the Thai government and tell them to stick it

You have a contact number ..

On 5/30/2020 at 1:32 PM, Susco said:

I have not read the exact rules, but I would wonder why a business would make up their own rules to the disadvantage of their own business.

How long have you lived here?

20 hours ago, samsensam said:

OP, having a go at staff, especially in franchise restaurants, is not only a waste of time but also displays ignorance and a lack of class. if you have an issue with restaurant policy ask to see the manager and speak politely and calmly to them.

Having a go at the staff is taking one for the team....

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, tropo said:

My wife and I had to sit at 2 different tables at a Japanese restaurant yesterday. These are the rules set not by the restaurant, but the local governing body. I find your harsh behaviour toward the restaurant unfair. We had a nice meal under the circumstances and did not complain. How should the restaurant know who lives together and who can safely eat together. Another thing you should consider is that when people eat at a restaurant, they take off their masks, so the distance becomes more important when people are not wearing masks.

If you see some restaurants not enforcing the same restrictions, then those restaurants are disregarding the rules currently in place for restaurant dining. In the Mall, EVERY restaurant I saw had such restrictions. In restaurants which allow more than one person to sit at a table, they have screens separating diners.

You are punishing the restaurant for restrictions that are not their doing and certainly not their choice. Why not help them out? It upsets them more than it upsets you. Maybe you can find a restaurant where the seats are low and you can still chat to your friends/family who are sitting at different tables.

Sorry some of us just will not accept this forced to eat alone insanity...

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:16 PM, seajae said:

told them where they could stick their restaurant

I really hope you didn't do that. It shows bad on all of us (males, foreigners, etc.)  No problem to tell them that their rules were ridiculous, but going beyond that was just poor manners.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 10:11 PM, redwood1 said:

Sorry some of us just will not accept this forced to eat alone insanity...

Ate at 2 other restaurants this week, both on the same table without screens.

Reef Cantina (Mexican) and Zen (Japanese).

I have a principle never to tick off those who prepare and deliver my food and the person driving the vehicle I am in. Purely for sake of self-preservation.

As others pointed out the OPs rant at the service staff was stupid because seating rules are above their pay grade. Now he had better never go there again because for sure they'll spit in his food.

I actually did that years ago working a diner in Chicago. This big muscle dude comes in one night and then gets upset with something and yells at us "skinny little forks" and leaves without paying. And then the idiot comes back the next day with a smile on his face as if we'll be happy he's forgiven us.

Well, we all spat in his food in the kitchen. Yea, I know we shouldn't have but we were teenagers and the manager who was probably 22 led the way. He fished out a booger and dropped it in the man's soup.

And the weird thing is that after eating the guy, I guess thinking to make up for the day before, said that was the best meal he'd had in ages and left a huge tip.

Edited by Why Me

On 6/1/2020 at 3:44 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I really hope you didn't do that. It shows bad on all of us (males, foreigners, etc.)  No problem to tell them that their rules were ridiculous, but going beyond that was just poor manners.

Stadtler thinks this is nonsense.  Thais should learn how westerners expect service if they wish to have us pay for their services.