Non ed visa

Hi everyone, yesterday I went again to immigration and I've finally got one year non ed visa but on my passport I saw the they gave me 3 months first. After this 3 months I will get 9 or 12 months? Thank for the answers

You'll only get a full year at a time if you're studying at a university. If it's a language school or similar, you get a maximum of 3 months each time you extend (up to a year, unless it has changed).

43 minutes ago, Myran said:

You'll only get a full year at a time if you're studying at a university. If it's a language school or similar, you get a maximum of 3 months each time you extend (up to a year, unless it has changed).

Yep I know that I must go to immigration every 3 months but am just curious to know how many months I'll get after the first 3 months they already gave me on my passport

34 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Yep I know that I must go to immigration every 3 months but am just curious to know how many months I'll get after the first 3 months they already gave me on my passport

You will get 3 more only, if at an informal school (not university).  Then go back again after that.

1 hour ago, Jack1988 said:

You will only get 3 months every time on the condition that you pass the language test that the immigration officer give you when you go to renew.

I used to have a class-mate who said he didn't pass the test so he couldn't get the extension.

There are many people who use education visa just to stay in Thailand but they don't actually attend the classes or study Thai. That's why immigration came up with this 3 months scheme. 

There are some schools who run visa-mill for 'students' who skip classes and don't really study.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

You will only get 3 months every time on the condition that you pass the language test that the immigration officer give you when you go to renew.

I used to have a class-mate who said he didn't pass the test so he couldn't get the extension.

There are many people who use education visa just to stay in Thailand but they don't actually attend the classes or study Thai. That's why immigration came up with this 3 months scheme. 

There are some schools who run visa-mill for 'students' who skip classes and don't really study.

I understand, thanks for the answer

On 5/31/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jack1988 said:

I understand, thanks for the answer

Many schools handle your extensions - have an "arrangement" with immigration to process them.  I would ask the school about this before chosing one, if looking to go this route for an extension of stay here.  The "fee" for this was around 3K baht per 3-mo extension, when I last looked into this.