BANGKOK
scotsdude

Bringing Thai Partner Back To UK With Our Child

Posted (edited)

I was wondering what visa is required to bring my Thai (unmarried) partner back to the UK. We’re biological parents of a ten year old child of which holds both Thai and British passports. And can I apply for the visa here in the UK? The reason being I’m not going to get back soon to Thailand due to the current situation. Just thought it would be easier to bring my family back to the UK. Thanks for any help advance.

Edited by scotsdude

I would agree with @wobblyjohn professional advice would be best for this one. 

Unmarried partner, kid with a UK passport, few too many variables for the keyboard warriors here on TVF to be able to give you accurate advice.

1 hour ago, scotsdude said:

I was wondering what visa is required to bring my Thai (unmarried) partner back to the UK. We’re biological parents of a ten year old child of which holds both Thai and British passports. And can I apply for the visa here in the UK? 

Let's break it down.  You and your child are free to enter the UK and your girlfriend requires a visa.  

You don't specify what the ultimate intention is.  Holiday, semi-permanent or permanent which, again, relates solely to your girlfriend.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scotsdude said:

And can I apply for the visa here in the UK?

Yes and no.  Online application but your girlfriend still has to attend Trendy in Bangkok anyway.

Edited by torturedsole

Posted (edited)

bsolutely no reason to employ an agent.

Go to the Gov.uk website. All self explanatory and the application process is very simple.

Edited by theoldgit
Agent recomendation removed.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Totally disagree. Absolutely no reason to employ an agent.

Generally speaking, yes to not employing an agent.  It takes longer as well as you're merely gathering up the requisite documentation and handing it to an agent and he stuffs it in an envelope for you at huge expense when you can stuff it in an envelope yourself, for nothing.  

A lot of personal and confidential information is also included in applications and I wouldn't trust any Thai agent with my identifiable details, regardless of their ratings.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 2

Obviously not clear if you want her/them to come for a holiday/visit or permanently but in either case provided you have somewhere for them to live (actually the kid doesn't really count as it's already British), and can demonstrate adequate finances, especially if intending a permanent move, there really ought not be any major issues with a visa.  She applies for it, not you, but you can do all the online work if need be, not a problem.  She only has to dump the paperwork in Bangkok.  And whilst an agent is a waste of money it would be handy if you have anyone in Thailand who can help her put the papers together in a logical and clear fashion if she has any problems with that.

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

... it would be handy if you have anyone in Thailand who can help her put the papers together in a logical and clear fashion if she has any problems with that.

Good point as not easy for a Thai to compile a UK visa application.  

I married my wife in LOS and spent the following two weeks putting the UK settlement visa application together for which my wife submitted it at Regent House prior to my leaving LOS.  Three months later my wife joined me in the UK.  

11 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Good point as not easy for a Thai to compile a UK visa application.  

I married my wife in LOS and spent the following two weeks putting the UK settlement visa application together for which my wife submitted it at Regent House prior to my leaving LOS.  Three months later my wife joined me in the UK.  

I did several for my wifes friends, probably 90% of what an "agent" might do, except I charged nothing.  They were all succesful applications.

10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

probably 90% of what an "agent" might do

What's the other 10% that you can't do that an agent can do?  Not being argumentative.  

4 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Obviously not clear if you want her/them to come for a holiday/visit or permanently but in either case provided you have somewhere for them to live (actually the kid doesn't really count as it's already British), and can demonstrate adequate finances, especially if intending a permanent move, there really ought not be any major issues with a visa.  She applies for it, not you, but you can do all the online work if need be, not a problem.  She only has to dump the paperwork in Bangkok.  And whilst an agent is a waste of money it would be handy if you have anyone in Thailand who can help her put the papers together in a logical and clear fashion if she has any problems with that.

Thanks for your reply... So I could apply for permanent stay in UK even though we're not married? Because she's mother of a British citizen? I was just thinking for 6 months or so as it would be difficult for us with families in Thailand to get back due to the current situation. I work offshore in the UK so travel back and forth every month to Thailand and have done so since my daughter was born 10 years ago. I only enter Thailand on a tourist visa exempt as I do 4 on 4 off and officially based in UK paying tax ni etc. Just clutching at straws here to see what my options are. I'm seriously thinking of relocating the family back to the UK anyway after this blows over. 

And thanks to everyone who's replied so far you've been very helpful. 

12 minutes ago, scotsdude said:

Thanks for your reply... So I could apply for permanent stay in UK even though we're not married? Because she's mother of a British citizen? I was just thinking for 6 months or so as it would be difficult for us with families in Thailand to get back due to the current situation. I work offshore in the UK so travel back and forth every month to Thailand and have done so since my daughter was born 10 years ago. I only enter Thailand on a tourist visa exempt as I do 4 on 4 off and officially based in UK paying tax ni etc. Just clutching at straws here to see what my options are. I'm seriously thinking of relocating the family back to the UK anyway after this blows over. 

Well, one of my biggest regrets was not getting our son out of the Thai educational system soon enough. I was doubly idiotic since my son was born in Singapore and we only moved to Thailand when he was in middle school, and when he finally went to college in Chicago it was really tough, since a Thai HS, even a private one is just awful.

So take this time to decide what you want to do, not just for you and your wife, but primarily for your daughter 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scotsdude said:

I'm in exactly the same situation (working rotation in the UAE before operations stopped due to Covid-19). I haven't seen my Wife and Son since February. I'm no longer traveling in and out of Thailand frequently will be as easy as it once was, especially if there are further outbreaks etc.

Thus, my Wife and I have made the decision to move back to the UK.

My Wife already holds a tourist visa and can come over when my sons school year is complete.

If I'm not mistaken, once in the UK my Wife can apply for a Spouse Visa which will allow her more rights in the UK.

As your Wife is has a British Child you may be able to get her a Visa based on having a British dependent - A parent Visa.

You may also be able to apply as a 'Partner' - you don't necessarily have to be married - I think you can outline that you have been living together as common-law spouse.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

• Like 2