Precaution the key as fighting Covid-19 a marathon battle, says medic

rooster59

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Or it might go the same way as Spanish Flu, ie, mutate and come back deadlier than the first wave.

You mean the real pandemic where perfectly healthy 18 years old men were dying in a couple of days?

Edited by Anton9

24 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

You mean the real pandemic where perfectly healthy 18 years old men were dying in a couple of days?

Watched a BBC history programme on it. They, as close as they can tell traced patient O in the States who was ( infected from ducks ) joined the army and it spread from there. Many infected survived ( sound familiar )? and it soon started to decline. It came back as a second wave much more deadly and as you say big healthy fit soldiers were dying within two days of feeling ill. They were drowning in their own blood coming from massive lung damage.

It's worth watching the programme if you watch uk tv history channel.

Australia was only lightly impacted because the shut the whole country and held ships in quarantine for very long periods before allowing them in.

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Watched a BBC history programme on it. They, as close as they can tell traced patient O in the States who was ( infected from ducks ) joined the army and it spread from there. Many infected survived ( sound familiar )? and it soon started to decline. It came back as a second wave much more deadly and as you say big healthy fit soldiers were dying within two days of feeling ill. They were drowning in their own blood coming from massive lung damage.

It's worth watching the programme if you watch uk tv history channel.

Australia was only lightly impacted because the shut the whole country and held ships in quarantine for very long periods before allowing them in.

Yes, basically cannot be compared to this mild virus.

As for the 2nd dangerous wave, we will see.

Edited by Anton9

29 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Yes, basically cannot be compared to this mild virus.

As for the 2nd dangerous wave, we will see.

For Spanish Flu massive overcrowding in hospitals, malnutrition after 4 years of war, much lower standards of cleanliness and of course no suitable drugs played a massive part.

Edited by overherebc

On 5/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, Enzian said:

Is there a real flu season per se in Thailand? I had two distinct cases of flu over the winter here in Bangkok. First one in mid December could have been Covid in disguise since on the 6th I had just come back from 3 weeks in the area around Cologne Germany where there were Chinese tourists all around (and had massage in a Chinese parlor). The second at the end of January was called a common flu by a doctor I went to for a note "unfit to fly" so I could apply for some travel insurance because it caused me to cancel a flight to India. Aways seemed to me that one could catch a flu-type cold any time of year here.

Yes, Thailand statistically has more cases of influenza during the period June-September. There is a secondary season of flu that tends to occur in January-February. Different from Singapore which has a more balanced level of influenza cases throughout the year.

I can only speak from the experience of working in a Thai school for 20 years that it is very noticeable that there are often a lot of flu cases at the school around 2-4 weeks after the kids start the first semester.

Many scientists believe that new strains of influenza evolve in tropical south-east Asia among a complex region which encompasses different rainy seasons. Hence, you tend to get different flu seasons occurring between neighbouring countries in the region.