Private quarantine facilities at own cost offered to returning foreigners

rooster59

3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Looks like I will not be going back to work overseas for a while then as I am not buying two weeks in a luxury hotel every time I come home here and I'm sure I wont be able to invoice it.

You don't have to, just use the state quarantine facility.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

- Can 'private facility' mean stay at own home with own family (no other older people in residence), isolated in own bedroom, son puts meals at the b'room door? Especially where:

- foreigner uses a wheel chair

- if foreigner holds PR 

- if destination is not Bkk (mine is Chiang Mai where there's no mention of luxury locations)

- if coming from a country which has very low infections numbers, low number of deaths, e.g. Australia

- where Oz doctor is suggesting a full test 14 days before departure and then again 3 days before departure and both tests are negative?

No.  It's already been explained very clearly what the quarantine choices are.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:
36 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Or you could just use that same money to pay for your own internet.

Why, if internet access is included in the price it should function adequately.

Maybe it's not included in the price.  He said that he'd be happy to pay for the internet.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why can't people quarantine in their own condo, house or guesthouse? you know treat people like adults so no extra price gouging

Because they wont act like adults. See the Thai Channa thread.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mr mr said:

i found one of the illusive health certificates inside a chocolate bar with a gold wrapper. 

A "fit to fly" certificate is actually very easy to obtain, assuming it's at all possible to see a doctor in the departure country. Any physician can issue one, and all it usually says is that there's no obvious reason why the passenger shouldn't be ok to fly. Most of the time they're given when someone has some visible issue (pregnancy, plaster cast) that might raise suspicions of health issues with airline staff. With regards to the current pandemic, I can't see how a "fit to fly" serves any useful purpose whatsoever.

• Like 2

Hahhah, how convinient the 14 day quarantine. No thank you, Thailand. I have been in Northern Europe for the last 3 months, and I am so happy not to be in Thailand anymore. With my wife in kid here, I don't need the dirty, hormone infested meat, plastic contaminated seafood or the PM 2.5 that Thailand has to offer. Neither do I need the special price for you 'farang', or the long flights to a country with grumpy, hostile immigration officers, or sitting in a lethal taxi or the AoT service to my condo driven by some lunatic. I'm so happy not to be in Thailand, so I will opt out thank you. When the weather turns cold in October, I'll be there again with my family to breathe the fresh PM 2.5 air and enjoy the barking of the soi dogs. Because my wife wants so. Meanwhile I drive to Nordkapp to the fresh Barents Sea, even the icy water is nicer to see than the plastic infested ocean in Thailand.

But seriously, I cannot think of a single reason to come to Thailand during summer time! Life is so calm, orderly here, and the air is fresh, with only a handful of grumpy old people venting about the Wuhan Virus. Face masks? Deemed useless by scientific tests, based by non-bribed laboratories, but there I have to wear them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Whats the difference between staying in hospitals and hotels if showing no signs of symptoms of returning from abroad and staying locked up in my own home for free in Thailand under quarantine - I am not keen on funding the ailing hotel industry - got enough bills of my own to pay?

Precisely my good man. The answer is.....nasty farang must pay for the privilege of returning to paradise.

Never mind the fact you’ve been working here for the last x number of years and could reasonably self quarantine at home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why can't people quarantine in their own condo, house or guesthouse? you know treat people like adults so no extra price gouging

Why oh why .....

€£$ €£$ €£$......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, robbioff said:

Precisely my good man. The answer is.....nasty farang must pay for the privilege of returning to paradise.

Never mind the fact you’ve been working here for the last x number of years and could reasonably self quarantine at home.

And there is a good reason why you wouldn't be allowed to self quarantine at home

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The Thais don't see the value in them if they are not tourists as they do not pay tax.

But most tax money is collected from sales and most expats do indeed pay that.  

• Thanks 1

You would have to have rocks for brains to avail yourself of this service (unless you are a Thai wanting to return home). It seems like yet another good reason for tourists to avoid Thailand ... two weeks locked up in a "gilded cage"?   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

But most tax money is collected from sales and most expats do indeed pay that.  

We are not talking about expats here we are talking about oil and gas guys coming in on 30-day stamps.

You are not an expat if you are staying on tourist visas or 30-day stamps. You are a tourist. Maybe longer term but you are still a tourist.

They of course do this (as I did, once upon a time) to avoid tax in their home country, and do not pay income tax on earnings while de-facto living in Thailand on 30-day stamps.

Why would a government encourage or incentivise tax avoiders to stay in their country?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They've given foreigners a way back in with appropriate control measures to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 and still there's moaning about it.

There's no pleasing some folk.

true,,, are you surprised? Thats what tvf is for, to moan and have a meaty debate. Its not a dating site...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It sounds wonderful there.

One question though, why are you posting on here if you are so happy and loathe Thailand so much?

Why not? It sounds as though he is married to a Thai lady so he probably has no choice but to maintain ties. This forum is filled with people moaning about Thailand or other so I guess the better question is, if it bothers you why do you participate in the forum?

i think the hotel is what people suspect, it is just a money spinner, if they have government quarrantine anyway why else would it be an option? Because they care about the foreigners?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Private quarantine facilities at own cost offered to returning foreigners

At a very affordable price no-doubt.... what services are available in the luxury accommodation, are you allowed visitations etc??

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They of course do this (as I did, once upon a time) to avoid tax in their home country, and do not pay income tax on earnings while de-facto living in Thailand on 30-day stamps.

Why would a government encourage or incentivise tax avoiders to stay in their country?

When they're here they spend like crazy as they've been locked up, unable to spend for 2, 3, 4 weeks or whatever.  Every baht they spend contributes in VAT, and often other Government duty or import taxes or something similar that ends up in the government's pocket.  Contributors like these should be welcomed by the government IMO.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 2

bona fide tourists are not likely to use this service as nobody will like to be quarantined for 14 days. those who are will possibly return most likely will have their previous contacts and use their facilities.

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

My wife is serving 2 weeks quarantine at the Shangri-la Sentosa resort, 3 meals a day, free wifi, courtesy of the Singapore government. They are very well organised.

Simply look at the two country’s diametrically opposed positions in the PISA educational tables to understand the difference. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

At a very affordable price no-doubt.... what services are available in the luxury accommodation, are you allowed visitations etc??

Obviously not.

That's why its called quarantine.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

quarantine will not allow visitations or free movement,