ThaiChana compulsory for visits to 10 Bangkok markets

rooster59

21 hours ago, time2093 said:

Its not only in Bangkok, Its pretty much every market in Thailand. I live in Kalasin and every market up here you got to scan the QR code or sign in your name and telephone number on clip board. Majority of people hust sign.ere j

If the local Saturday market here in my village is any indication, indeed, the country is in serious trouble.  I went to the market on Saturday, the first time since March 21, and I doubt whether 10% of the normal merchants were there.  There were no fruits, very few vegetables, no merchandise other than the bit of food that was available.  From a bustling, often overcrowded market where anything was available,  to basically a ghost market.  No QR code required, yet!  Temperature and hand sanitizer. Most of the few people wandering around wore masks but many of the merchants didn't.

22 hours ago, petedk said:

Rubbish!

You do not install anything on your mobile. 

After scanning you are taken to a website where you click "Check in"

There have been reports of fake apps.

If you don't install anything on your mobile, why am I reading this today:

{quote}

"Somkid Jiranuntarat, one of the developers of the "ThaiChana" platform, explained on Sunday (May 31) that the spam occurring on the iOS system via iMessage is not related to "ThaiChana". He said  currently the ThaiChana app is available only on Android.

He assured users that they do not need to worry about data privacy since the system uses GPS-specific data and uses the camera only when scanning QR codes, so there is no access to images or profile views which generally does not easily leak." {unquote}

"one of the developers of the "ThaiChana" platform....said  currently the ThaiChana app is available only on Android."

source: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166520-thaichana-app-not-linked-to-gambling-spam-developer-and-ministry-clarify/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

What is the Thai Chana platform?Please explain.

It's a way of tracking when people enter and then exit various locations that is supposed to tell authorities, if the need arises, who was at that place during any particular period of time (such as when a later found to be infected person may have been there).

At the entrance, there are posters/signboards with a QR code on them. You scan the QR code with a QR code reader on your smart phone. The LINE app has a builtin QR code reader, for example. That pops up a website on your phone. You click a couple of buttons to sign in... And then you repeat the same process of scan and click on your way out. Done.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

If you don't install anything on your mobile, why am I reading this today:

{quote}

"Somkid Jiranuntarat, one of the developers of the "ThaiChana" platform, explained on Sunday (May 31) that the spam occurring on the iOS system via iMessage is not related to "ThaiChana". He said  currently the ThaiChana app is available only on Android.

He assured users that they do not need to worry about data privacy since the system uses GPS-specific data and uses the camera only when scanning QR codes, so there is no access to images or profile views which generally does not easily leak." {unquote}

"one of the developers of the "ThaiChana" platform....said  currently the ThaiChana app is available only on Android."

source: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166520-thaichana-app-not-linked-to-gambling-spam-developer-and-ministry-clarify/

There have been many cases of nefarious apps that will ignore whatever permissions the user grants or declines. The developer of the app could easily capture more information than what was listed to the public. Some of the most popular apps people use these days were developed in China with serious security flaws. 

I would not be at all surprised to see the ThaiChana app with similar security flaws, either by design or unintentional. I would have been much more comfortable had they used one of the contact tracing apps from Apple or Google - at least those companies are not totally evil. The Thai Gov't no so much.

7 minutes ago, phkauf said:

There have been many cases of nefarious apps that will ignore whatever permissions the user grants or declines. The developer of the app could easily capture more information than what was listed to the public. Some of the most popular apps people use these days were developed in China with serious security flaws. 

I would not be at all surprised to see the ThaiChana app with similar security flaws, either by design or unintentional. I would have been much more comfortable had they used one of the contact tracing apps from Apple or Google - at least those companies are not totally evil. The Thai Gov't no so much.

I take your point.

My post was related to petedk's post who said nothing was installed on your mobile, it was only a link sending you to a website:

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:56 AM, time2093 said:

Its not only in Bangkok, Its pretty much every market in Thailand. I live in Kalasin and every market up here you got to scan the QR code or sign in your name and telephone number on clip board. Majority of people here just sign.

Joe Bloggs  346635858

Yesterday went to the gym in BKK for the first time and they had the QR code at the entrance along with a temp check. I politely declined to use the app and they pulled out a sign-in sheet that was pretty full of mostly Thai Names (in Thai script) - so apparently Thais are not using this app as well.

Just a thought for people before you put this on your phone - both Line and WhatsApp are encrypted so only the person on the other end of your message can read it. Who knows if the ThaiChana app can bypass that and read your messages? Do you really trust this government that is constantly locking people up for lese majeste or violation of the computer crime acts or some other violations they create on the fly? You may want to rethink that link about u-know-who that you forward to someone or perhaps a comment made in jest since the officials may not get your sense of humor.

I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, but the abuse of civil liberties in Thailand is all too real and more common these days. No way that app gets on my phone and I can see many Thais have the same opinion. Don't be a sheep!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Yesterday went to the gym in BKK for the first time and they had the QR code at the entrance along with a temp check. I politely declined to use the app and they pulled out a sign-in sheet that was pretty full of mostly Thai Names (in Thai script) - so apparently Thais are not using this app as well.

Just a thought for people before you put this on your phone - both Line and WhatsApp are encrypted so only the person on the other end of your message can read it. Who knows if the ThaiChana app can bypass that and read your messages? Do you really trust this government that is constantly locking people up for lese majeste or violation of the computer crime acts or some other violations they create on the fly? You may want to rethink that link about u-know-who that you forward to someone or perhaps a comment made in jest since the officials may not get your sense of humor.

I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, but the abuse of civil liberties in Thailand is all too real and more common these days. No way that app gets on my phone and I can see many Thais have the same opinion. Don't be a sheep!

Why not download a QR code reader and by-pass Line or WhatsApp.

I have a feeling this will be the new norm in the future. It may be worth investing in a very cheap smartphone that you can use for this purpose, if you are really concerned about them snooping in your Line or WhatsApp.

Personally, I don't think they can do that .......yet!

Edited by petedk

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

Why not download a QR code reader and by-pass Line or WhatsApp.

True that's for the website. But I was thinking about the standalone app they are pushing for everyone. 

I still would rather not take my chances and I'm no Luddite, just a little cautious with this current regime. As long as I can do the pen and paper, I'm doing that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phkauf said:

True that's for the website. But I was thinking about the standalone app they are pushing for everyone. 

I still would rather not take my chances and I'm no Luddite, just a little cautious with this current regime. As long as I can do the pen and paper, I'm doing that.

That's assuming they even challenge you.

Just been to the 7 Eleven. On the way I remembered having read they were apparently checking QR code usage etc. at all branches.

I walked in through the automatic doors, turned right to wait for the cashier in order to pay a bill.

Afterwards as I turned to leave, I noticed a girl sitting at a small desk behind the door. She was supposed to be checking everyone entering the shop.

Customers walking in either didn't see her (like me) or probably just ignored her.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phkauf said:

They are not pushing people to download the app. It is only businesses that need to download and register.