Social distancing ideas. Crazy or brilliant?

AKJeff

My brother is all for this.  I think it it is stupid unless you have them for the subways as well.  

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-bumper-table-revolution-20200518-z2wrplx6xvgfnd7hquzptiz7ka-story.html

Put motors on them and might be fun though.

Anybody got any more examples of social distancing ideas?

Edited by AKJeff
Better link
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mac98 said:

It's easy to social distance. Just pretend every facility is the auditorium of an '80s adult theater. Nobody sat anywhere near anyone else and liked it that way.

Might it not be more correct to say "needed it that way"?

In the UK one of the UK's own scientific advisers has gone public and said the 2 metre rule is not scientifically jusitifiable:

"Is there any science behind two-metre social distancing rule…? Government adviser says guidelines on keeping apart was 'conjured out of nowhere'

Professor Dingwall from Nervtag said the rule is not backed by scientific evidence.

He said that government's advice for a two-metre distance was a 'rule of thumb'.

'We cannot sustain [social distancing measures] without causing serious damage to society, to the economy and to the physical and mental health of the population.

He added: 'Well there is a certain amount of scientific evidence for a one-metre distance which comes out of indoor studies in clinical and experimental settings.

'There's never been a scientific basis for two metres, it's kind of a rule of thumb. But it's not like there is a whole kind of rigorous scientific literature that it is founded upon.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8256109/Social-distancing-two-metres-apart-based-figure-says-government-adviser.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So we agree there is evidence for a 1 meter distance, what about a compromise, if while keeping that distance the person near you starts coughing and sneezing you can just run like hell?

Look, the latest MIT study says the droplets travel 8 metres. How would 1 or even 2 metres social distancing help if the droplets travel 8 metres?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So we agree there is evidence for a 1 meter distance, what about a compromise, if while keeping that distance the person near you starts coughing and sneezing you can just run like hell?

That's not very nice. Better offer her or him a handkerchief or some tissues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Look, the latest MIT study says the droplets travel 8 metres. How would 1 or even 2 metres social distancing help if the droplets travel 8 metres?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

I was jesting but caution is the key thats why its a rule of thumb

Considering up to 50% of carriers are asymptomatic then that is a fine example of the arguments for mask wearing as being more effective. But thats a separate debate

Edited by Bkk Brian

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was jesting but caution is the key thats why its a rule of thumb

Considering up to 50% of carriers are asymptomatic then that is a fine example of the arguments for mask wearing as being more effective. But thats a separate debate

Considering only 0.8% of the population have the virus and 43% of those are asymptomatic that's actually a fine example of why mask wearing is rather pointless.

• Like 1

Look at Howard Hughes. He lived in a dark room. He self-isolated and social-distanced like a champ. He was the world champion of social distancing. He'd just sit in his room naked all day. No contact with others at all. 

Yet he still died.

In the end, you can take endless precautions. You can get a 5 liter tank of alcohol and spray your car and shoes before you go in your house, and all your shopping. You can wear a mask, googles, gloves or even a helmet. It doesn't matter. There will always be that small detail that you forgot. Took your mask off and put it in the house unwashed? Maybe you have a cat that's infected. Maybe a dog. Oh you didn't think they can transmit the virus? Maybe they can.

In the end there are so many variable and possibilities there is absolutely no way you can eliminate them all, so there will always be a way for a virus to find you.

Thankfully only 0.8% of the nation have that bad fortune, so there's no need to worry unduly. But whatever you do, it will never be enough to eliminate risk. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Considering only 0.8% of the population have the virus and 43% of those are asymptomatic that's actually a fine example of why mask wearing is rather pointless.

Oh yes figures from Iceland only, who you (and only you) then interpret to the whole world, Iceland a country of 367k population and density of just 3 people per square kilometer.

Try the virus count per population in France or Spain

Doesn't matter much here. See article today in site we can't quote here about Thai people not really thinking that there is actual risk. 

If you tell people that quarantine should be 14 days as that is the outside time for incubation period...and, you say that there are no internal cases for more than 14 days...well, people in Thailand might all decide that they've done their 14 days. Why keep wearing masks and distancing? Why put up with a curfew?

Yesterday in my large neighborhood during my evening walk, I saw about 50 people. Including me, there were five wearing masks and two of those five were only using them as chin-covers. People sitting in close groups. The two night markets near my home didn't have anyone manning the screening tables at the entrance last two days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

all of this must be a rip in the fabric of time. a switch into an alternate universe or something ? am i really living in this world now ?

Yes, you're living in the virtual world of TVF now.

Our ace Virologists, with the exception of a few Chicken Little nutters, have always sneered at masks and social distancing. Git nekkid & let it all hang out! ????

Edited by BigStar

13 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Yesterday in my large neighborhood during my evening walk, I saw about 50 people. Including me, there were five wearing masks and two of those five were only using them as chin-covers. People sitting in close groups. The two night markets near my home didn't have anyone manning the screening tables at the entrance last two days.

Better stay in your room, lock doors and windows, these careless people might be all infected, they are causing the second wave!

The immune system relies on contact

with billions of viruses and bacteria.

These stupid rules are counterproductive

to your health and your wealth.

Its a clever way to diminish excess population.