Heavy rains forecast for many areas today with likely flash floods

rooster59

Heavy rains forecast for many areas today with likely flash floods

By The Nation

800_871f6f1c0656eeb.jpg

A low pressure area covers the upper portions of the North while the moderate southwest monsoon prevails across the Andaman Sea and Thailand is weakening, the Thailand Meteorological Department said.

Heavy rains are forecast for some parts of the North, the upper Northeast, the East, Central and the South regions. People should beware of the severe conditions that may cause flash floods.

Isolated thundershowers and isolated heavy rains are forecast for Bangkok with minimum temperature at 24-26 degrees Celsius and maximum temperature 34-37°C. Southwesterly winds blow at 10-30 km/hr.

The monsoon trough lies across the upper North and the upper Northeast on May 30-31, while the moderate southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea and Thailand. More rains are expected with isolated heavy rains in the areas.

From June 1-5, the southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea and Thailand while the monsoon trough will weaken. Less rains are expected in Thailand.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388817

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-31

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I use a weather radar app, RAINVIEWER, which can give a fair idea of what 'may' happen in the next 3 to 6 hours. 

I find it very useful. You can track back a few hours so you can fairly sure of the direction of rain clouds.

There's been heavy rain the last 2 nights here, east of Udon. Our 3 ponds are full already.

• Like 1

Just now, bannork said:

I find it very useful. You can track back a few hours so you can fairly sure of the direction of rain clouds.

There's been heavy rain the last 2 nights here, east of Udon. Our 3 ponds are full already.

That's what I'm waiting on. Enough rain to fill the pond so I can put fish in it. We've been getting some rain here in south Sisaket province to help with watering the grass and trees, but not enough to do anything for the pond.

• Like 1

Historically Udon Province gets about 1.3 metres of rain a year. The last couple have barley broken the 1000mm mark.

This year so far has seen 150mm. There are four months of wet ahead. Has to be some serious, consistent rainfalls to get anywhere near average.

Big downpours don't cut the mustard. Much of it runs off. Need, on average, 20/30mm every third day until mid way through October.

IMO, the weather in Isaan is changing and in 20 years time the rain measure will be around 1000mm (1 metre) a year. Must conserve water. Can't rely on the Mekong doing its stuff any more. What with world weather changes and China in control up-river.

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So to sum up, some rain,  somewhere, then a lot of rain in a few places, then no rain anywhere.  Very useful as a wet season report.  My cat could have come up with that forecast. As my old boss used to say, meteorologists are the only profession that can get it wrong most of the time and still be promoted. I would perhaps add astrologers, as there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two.  

Best be mindful not to let said animal outside, or you may find yourself having to deal with a seriously wet pussy.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Pretty much sums it up.. there is rain activity around but if you follow it on Ventusky (Windy.com if you prefer) you will see that there is a lot of rain activity around but not easy to see just where it will fall.... if you skip forward to 7 PM you will see a lot more activity coming in from the SE....  https://www.ventusky.com/?p=14.5;110.1;4&l=rain-3h

Yes, what it shows makes it impossible to predict exactly where it will fall. Hell, in the US, where you have probably the best meteorologists and radar in the world tracking severe weather people are still killed every spring by extreme storms. 

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So to sum up, some rain,  somewhere, then a lot of rain in a few places, then no rain anywhere.  Very useful as a wet season report.  My cat could have come up with that forecast. As my old boss used to say, meteorologists are the only profession that can get it wrong most of the time and still be promoted. I would perhaps add astrologers, as there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two.  

Being a pilot you'd understand that every large commercial  plane flying automatically gives back the current weather, to ground stations, wherever it is, no planes in the air, not much feed back into the Met.

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

pilotman get a job in the weather department  hee hee !!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Being a pilot you'd understand that every large commercial  plane flying automatically gives back the current weather, to ground stations, wherever it is, no planes in the air, not much feed back into the Met.

Not true, but a nice idea. The Aircraft weather radar data is confined to the aircraft, wind shear and CAT reports are made, sometimes,  but are often inaccurate, as the CAT dissipates over a short time. Jet stream information is accurate at pre briefing and its movements out of the briefed position are often transmitted by the flight crew, but only to base operations and to the the ATC net if that is possible. There is no general mechanism for reporting it Nationally, or Internationally, outside ATC radio coverage.  Reporting local weather phenomena to some ATC set ups is just a waste of time (China is a prime example).  Either they wouldn't acknowledge it, as they didn't understand the English, or it never gets passed on because there isn't anyone to pass it on to. In that case, crews will pass information on a n open frequency for following aircraft.    

Edited by Pilotman