13 Thais return from South Korea with high fever

rooster59

13 Thais return from South Korea with high fever

By The Nation

800_7efb283c0208172.jpg

A Korean Airlines flight arrived at 9.25pm on Saturday (May 30) at Suvarnabhumi Airport bringing 194 Thais from South Korea.

The screening officer found 13 of the passengers with high fever and immediately sent them to hospital. The rest took the bus to14-day state quarantine areas according to state measures while 18 were sent to alternative state quarantine at the designated hotel.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388816

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-31

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Certainly appears to be too early to open up to outside visitors, not forgetting that South Korea are on the preferred list...LOL

Exactly. Assuming it's Covid, nearly 7% on that plane were infected. If thats the case, why were they allowed to fly in the first place?

I'm beginning to wonder how accurate the screening in Thailand is.

Are they assuming anything above 37c is a fever ? 37.1C for example. ?

Edited by Chelseafan

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Exactly. Assuming it's Covid, nearly 7% on that plane were infected. If thats the case, why were they allowed to fly in the first place?

I'd be more concerned with S.K authorities letting them on the plane in the first place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I'd be more concerned with S.K authorities letting them on the plane in the first place. 

Who do you think has the better systems in place ? I'm betting that the SK's checked thoroughly before allowing people to fly. Could be wrong of course but this news report stinks of SK's looking bad (for allowing infected people to fly) and Thai's looking good (for catching those that are potentially infected)

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

How wear they allowed to board the plane that i don't understand or that the Korean were happy to get rid of them the only explanations that comes to minds...

Sounds like patient dumping! now 194 has been infected along with crew? the numbers don't add up where they were all sent? isn't SK on the prefer list? 

11 hours ago, zeamonkey said:

How come they all get high fever on those flights?? SK has plenty of airport screening. Seems all thais arrive with a high fever now...

Good  job they don't arrive in the 70's on a  Saturday  night.

• Haha 2

They will be tested later. But it seems, Thailnd is not testing all quarnatined people. They test only people who develop symptoms. But two weeks qurantine will make asymptomatic persons destroy their virus RNA if the person does not show any symptom during qurantine period. Once the virus RNA is destroyed inside the body within two weeks, the person is no longer capable of infecting others. 

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

High fever doesn't mean COVID, it could be bacterial infection etc.

Government should tell the public later whether they tested positive after a COVID test.

Yeh, it could be flu or the common cold, or .......COVID.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:08 PM, Chelseafan said:

Hope not as 37.2 is normal oral, ive been reading 36.3 -36,9 at malls etc with the digi head gun, back home oral always around 36.9 -37.2 depending on time of day, to get a true reading it needs to be bend over and drop them, people read different at different times of the day but with a properly calibrated head gun i would assume 37.8would be high bearing in mind oral can be up to 0.6 higher

1 hour ago, Almer said:

Hope not as 37.2 is normal oral, ive been reading 36.3 -36,9 at malls etc with the digi head gun, back home oral always around 36.9 -37.2 depending on time of day, to get a true reading it needs to be bend over and drop them, people read different at different times of the day but with a properly calibrated head gun i would assume 37.8would be high bearing in mind oral can be up to 0.6 higher

Yes, I was just using the number for effect.

as all were placed in the hospital or quarantine, they are no risk to the general population. The numbers of such people should not be considered when deciding on re-opening policy.

This does however, indicate that tourists should be kept out of thailand for a long time