Take a hike!

madmitch

I've done the Big Buddha trek from Karon/Kata several times and yesterday walked to Hin Dum and Krating Cape on the trail near Karon Viewpoint.

I'm sure there must be several decent trails around Phuket and, rain permitting, this is a good time to take advantage with fewer tourists and less traffic.

So can anyone recommend any walking trails (not too difficult!) around the island. I know @fiddlehead was a bit of an expert. I'm sure there are a few other people on the forum who would be interested.

• Like 2

Plenty of trails in Kamala. As a matter of fact did an 11k, 3.5 hours hike there this morning, was hard today.

But I would also be interested in t awwrails closer to rawai and/or kata.

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Kamala to Kathu waterfall over the mtn

Is that the one that starts at the Bangwan waterfall?

I've walked that a few times, but never made it all the way - I'm rather old. It's very natural but steep in a few sections and not flip-flop friendly!

From Bang Wan you can get to the Naka mast, Kalim, Kathu Waterfall, Cherng Talay and Manik  Dam- just a case of getting up there and exploring. There are a number of other places to access the hill as well. Once things ease anyone interested in the hills could consider the Saturday Hash or Tinmen Hash- a good way to see parts of the island you wouldn't normally think of.

First pic is of a 9km walk near Naka, heading up the hill 400m North of the Orbators. Reason for the back and forth was looking for trails and ways through. Second one is a 12 km walk going up the hill by the waterfall. Bottom part of the picture is the ridge road that leads to Kalim. 

27may.jpg

kalim.jpg

• 1 month later...

A good app for folks who enjoy exploring our island:   https://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/

You have to download it from their website.  
They are not on Google Play. 
It has the best topo maps I've found, although it can get a bit complicated. 
I use it to explore mountains on Phuket that I've yet to hike.   
It does show many trails but of course, not the smaller trails that come and go from the rubber harvesters or wild crafters out there.    

Another great idea for anyone who likes learning of the many different mountains on Phuket, join the Hash House Harriers and you will meet many adventurous people who REALLY know the back country of Phuket.   

• Thanks 1