The Londoner Pub is opening June 1st

ChipButty

Just now, Ron jeremy said:

Found the English pub type places in Bangkok to be quite expensive, even by western standards, no thanks.

Agreed, overcooked bland food, Malaysian Guiness at 5x US grocery store prices, and almost always a sausage party at the bar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wordchild said:

Maybe Covid-19 will give them an opportunity to move back into their old area. Plenty of failing businesses  with too much space along Suk.

The Londoner became a 7-11, Jools in Nana became a 7-11. Very sad state of affairs.

19 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Found the English pub type places in Bangkok to be quite expensive, even by western standards, no thanks.

Bangkok is an expensive city.  My wife and I visit BKK at least four times a year [this year being an exception] but prefer a more central location.  The Londoner is too far out for a pint of beer and food for our brief stays but it does look impressive and the food looks good and reasonably priced, as compared to similar establishments in BKK.

I agree that by western standards pubs in BKK aren't cheap but I see them as a place to rest weary feet, have a drink or two, maybe food and a toilet break.  Quite convenient establishments.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I did.  You try it.

I'm sorry, I hadn't realised English wasn't your mother tongue. I'll go slowly for you - the suggestion (joke) was that you have two pubs, let's call them pub A and pub B. To comply with the take away only restriction, the people drinking in pub A buy their beers in pub B, whilst those drinking in pub B buy their beer in pub A. Now do you understand the post?

Edited by Stocky
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to love the Londoner when it was located on Soi 33, was in there probably 2-3 times a week, great food. Many a great night and lots of weird and normal people met.

Have not been since its moved to such an inconvenient location. I realize that it is probably more convenient for some.

Lovely little reminisce about that. Probably better for my health and constitution that it has moved!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:
17 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I did.  You try it.

I'm sorry, I hadn't realised English wasn't your mother tongue. I'll go slowly for you - the suggestion (joke) was that you have two pubs, let's call them pub A and pub B. To comply with the take away only restriction, the people drinking in pub A buy their beers in pub B, whilst those drinking in pub B buy their beer in pub A. Now do you understand the post?

I understood it before you tried to assist me.  Thanks anyway.

Now can you understand this?... I realise that he could not really have meant what he was suggesting but some people may have.  For the benefit of those who did think that it was a great idea I was suggesting that it wasn't because (a) no right-minded bar owner would let 'customers' drink alcohol bought elsewhere and brought into his bar and (b) consuming alcohol on the premises is illegal currently regardless of where it was bought.

Now do you understand?

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:20 AM, ChipButty said:

Technically beer served of site someone told me they have an area for you to have a beer how that works Im not sure

Is this just a shameless plug for a pub opening that actually isn't going to let you drink anywhere nearby the premises? Never saw that coming ????

Pubbozzee.jpg.63b37727a614b89efedeeec9a64b8405.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm waiting for Robin Hood at Phrom Phong. Great atmosphere. Great breakfast and sausages. Wife misses the Carlsberg draft.

I'm waiting for

The Old English Pub ( Thonglor / Sukhumvit 55 )

and 

Ekamai Beer House ( Sukhumvit 63 ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

Is this just a shameless plug for a pub opening that actually isn't going to let you drink anywhere nearby the premises? Never saw that coming ????

Pubbozzee.jpg.63b37727a614b89efedeeec9a64b8405.jpg

And don't get too excited. The Londoner CANNOT serve you takeaway brew pub draft. I assume they'll offer the usual brands in a bottle or can. In answer to a question on the pub FB page, the pub spokesman said: ". . . sorry man! Unfortunately we won't have draught beer, as illegal for us to sell our own beer off-site and the other draught we won't sell enough to open a keg."

Going there was already borderline for me but if there's no pub-brewed beer, then there's no point to go all the way out to Phatthanakan for a common beer.  

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Typo

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The Huntsman pub in the Landmark hotel was always good, good band and I only lived around the corner on Soi 2 walk past the car park at the Nana hotel and get molested

It was always completely dead when I went in, literally just me and the bar staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

I'm waiting for

The Old English Pub ( Thonglor / Sukhumvit 55 )

and 

Ekamai Beer House ( Sukhumvit 63 ).

Big fan of both. I see them working on the Beer House every day and seems like they are getting ready for the big reopen.

Old English pub looks dead, is it definitely going to reopen? They are paying HUGE rents there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Ekkamai beer house is now open 

With beer or without? 

A beer house without beer should be somehow absurb. 

Addendum 

I just read on their Facebook :

"Alcohol to take away only" 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, n00dle said:

Living on the edge indeed.

Yes, got bored with stealing wine from the grocery stores...it still wasn't drinkable for free.

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

With beer or without? 

A beer house without beer should be somehow absurb. 

Addendum 

I just read on their Facebook :

"Alcohol to take away only" 

I don't see the point.  If they are only selling bottles to take away just go and buy them in a 7-Eleven or have them in your fridge at home anyway.

I am dying for a pint just as much as the next man, and I would normally drink in the Ekkamai Beer House maybe once a week, but going in there to buy beer to take away??  I'll wait for the full opening thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I'll wait for the full opening thank you.

I am regurlaly in Thonglor for 1-2 months. I will  wait till I can have an alcohol drink with my meal, or/and enjoy one or more at a pub.

At the DarkSide of Pattaya now; 3 places I know where I can have a  beer in a coffee/tee mug. 

Ok, but not really the same without a proper glass, and the ambience.