Install Flushing Toilet

YorkshireTyke

My friends house in Khon Kaen has one bathroom containing a hot water shower, and a basic non flushing toilet bowl.

Is it an easy/cheap job for a plumber to change this to a normal flushing toilet providing obviously I buy a new toilet with cistern ?

Is it as simple as tapping in to the water supply already in the bathroom to supply the cistern with water or are there other considerations like the size of the pipe/hole the current toilet sits on ?

Any advice appreciated, if feasible and affordable a plumber would be doing the work, not me.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, petermik said:

Cannot see any problems...some tidying up afterwards as the new toilet will be smaller than the existing squat one......:thumbsup:

It's not a squat one, probably was 20 years ago when they first moved in ! But it has a normal sit on toilet but just a bowl without a cistern.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

How big is the septic under the current loo? Flushers put a lot more water down and it may not have the drain capacity.

On the ground floor we had a flushing toilet with cistern for the "girls" (daughter/granddaughter).

Coming back a year later the cistern was removed.

?

If they flush a full 6 or even 12 liters after some drops of pee it is just too much.

In the upper floor we have a two stage cistern which saves a bit of water for the pee.

I even had a urinal but had to remove it due to "technical problems" (botch job) :wink:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

You could adopt the water saving motto "If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow" which means don't flush the pee only the poo.

I realize it's not easy to get people, especially girls, to not flush every time they have a little tinkle but they can get used to it eventually, and the water saving will be worth it. 

Though it's probably best to give the toilet a quick flush whatever visitors are expected. :whistling:

Another trick is the old one from years ago by putting a brick in the cistern so it does not fill with so much water. Personally I would use a plastic bottle filled with some stones and water.

Another way is to adjust the level of the float arm that regulates the water in flow. Most floats are set so the water level is just below the overflow, but in reality you don't always need that much for a good flush.

Adjusting the arm so the cistern fills about half full is usually enough. There should be a little screw at the opposite end to the float that pushes down on the inlet that can be adjusted for this purpose.

Just some water saving ideas :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

It's not a squat one, probably was 20 years ago when they first moved in ! But it has a normal sit on toilet but just a bowl without a cistern.

So, what's the issue with the normal non-cistern throne you're trying to solve?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichCor said:

So, what's the issue with the normal non-cistern throne you're trying to solve?

Just want to update. It's 2020, no need to have to throw bowls of water down the pot if for a few thousand a modern flush will do the 'job' quicker and more efficiently and more hygienic.

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

You could adopt the water saving motto "If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow" which means don't flush the pee only the poo.

I realize it's not easy to get people, especially girls, to not flush every time they have a little tinkle but they can get used to it eventually, and the water saving will be worth it. 

Though it's probably best to give the toilet a quick flush whatever visitors are expected. :whistling:

Another trick is the old one from years ago by putting a brick in the cistern so it does not fill with so much water. Personally I would use a plastic bottle filled with some stones and water.

Another way is to adjust the level of the float arm that regulates the water in flow. Most floats are set so the water level is just below the overflow, but in reality you don't always need that much for a good flush.

Adjusting the arm so the cistern fills about half full is usually enough. There should be a little screw at the opposite end to the float that pushes down on the inlet that can be adjusted for this purpose.

Just some water saving ideas :thumbsup:

I'd agree with that, with one caveat. Put the lid of the toilet down until used for #2, unless you want to smell up the bathroom with stale pee.

Thanks for the replies. I did initially do a search using 'flushing toilet' but it didn't return anything.

I've no idea about the location or size of the waste pipe and septic tank.

I guess from the replies it can be done, possibly quite easily, so I think the best thing is to get a plumber in to take a look and check on the size of the waste pipe and capacity of the septic tank.