Govt clarifies on Inter-provincial transport during curfew hours

rooster59

Govt clarifies on Inter-provincial transport during curfew hours

By The Nation

800_49ead0dc2e48c1e.jpeg

The government has suggested that people defer inter-provincial travel, or travel only if it were necessary, as that would help slow or prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus.

Phase 3 of the easing of lockdown measures, which comes into effect from June 1, permits inter-province travel to allow people to return to normal life and help revive the economy.

Travel across provinces in phase 3 as published in the Government Gazette sets the following conditions:

▪︎No one should be out during curfew hours between 11pm and 3am the following day.

▪︎Passenger vehicles as well as those involved in public transport of people or goods that depart from a province before 11pm can arrive at the destination in another province after 3am the next day.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388818

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-31

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

permits inter-province travel to allow people to return to normal life and help revive the economy

The Govt has been talking about increasing domestic travel to help revive economy. So tourism should start to become a good reason - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

▪︎Passenger vehicles as well as those involved in public transport of people or goods that depart from a province before 11pm can arrive at the destination in another province after 3am the next day.

So not only buses but also private vehicles can drive through the four hour curfew?

But filling stations/rests closed?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

How do you leave before 11p and arrive after 3a without violating the first rule of not being out during curfew hours? Also, what if you leave at 10p and would arrive at 1a? Do you just drive around until 3:01a so that you don't break the second rule?

Well, to me it means starting long distance trip before 11 PM and arrive no earlier than 3 AM.

Why is that not feasible? (except for taking a pee :biggrin:).

It's an important change for public transport.

E.g. for the very long trips from Bangkok to the far south/north/northeast.

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well, to me it means starting long distance trip before 11 PM and arrive no earlier than 3 AM.

Why is that not feasible? (except for taking a pee :biggrin:).

It's an important change for public transport.

E.g. for the very long trips from Bangkok to the far south/north/northeast.

So, does the first rule no one should be out really mean no one should be outside a vehicle? So the curfew has changed to only apply to people who are walking or standing outside a vehicle or building during the prohibited hours?

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Aren't you glad they clarified things ?

Of course some "subtle" questions to be clarified :whistling:

Filling stations? Rest rooms?

Allowed on motorbike?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

So what about a person boards a bus traveling to points in between A start and C finish of the buses journey, but wishes to disembark at point B.  Can they do so if this is inside the 4 hour curfew?

ie Bus BKK to Udon passenger wishes to alight in Chaiyapum at 2.00am can purchase ticket?

6 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

So what about a person boards a bus traveling to points in between A start and C finish of the buses journey, but wishes to disembark at point B.  Can they do so if this is inside the 4 hour curfew?

ie Bus BKK to Udon passenger wishes to alight in Chaiyapum at 2.00am can purchase ticket?

I think that would violate the second rule as you would arrive at your destination prior to 3:00 a.m.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I think that would violate the second rule as you would arrive at your destination prior to 3:00 a.m.

Thanks, yeah as I understood it to be.  Therefore can't see many inter state buses running through the night when many destination points in between are "of limits" - this would mean even more empty seats, less profit.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

(except for taking a pee :biggrin:).

Nope, that would violate the curfew. You MUST stay in the car. Luckily, there is the good old trusted Comfort-100, which starting from June 1 will probably experience skyrocketing sales.

As per usual, these government-issued "clarifications" make things even less clear than they already are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 19DL86 said:

Thanks, yeah as I understood it to be.  Therefore can't see many inter state buses running through the night when many destination points in between are "of limits" - this would mean even more empty seats, less profit.

With a bus load of empty seats it will be "more loss" not less profit.

3 minutes ago, Almer said:

With a bus load of empty seats it will be "more loss" not less profit.

Guess you've not travelled much on buses here?  They don't move with empty seats, let alone "a load of empty".  But we re both saying the same thing. ????

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Passenger vehicles as well as those involved in public transport of people or goods that depart from a province before 11pm can arrive at the destination in another province after 3am the next day.

So people CAN travel during curfew. That's because it's a Thai-style curfew, meaning that the rules don't really count and, anyway, those who might police it are tucked up in bed anyway.

• Haha 1

Another question: It says it's okay if you depart before 11:00 p.m., that implies that it's not okay to depart after 11:00 p.m. but before 3:00 a.m. So, if I drive by at midnight, how will the police person know when I left? Will there be an app for that?

Edited by JCP108

50 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Another question: It says it's okay if you depart before 11:00 p.m., that implies that it's not okay to depart after 11:00 p.m. but before 3:00 a.m. So, if I drive by at midnight, how will the police person know when I left? Will there be an app for that?

You'll be booked for sure because you'll be driving a private vehicle not public transport. 

7 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You'll be booked for sure because you'll be driving a private vehicle not public transport. 

But, it reads, "Passenger vehicles as well as those involved in public transport of people or goods that depart from a province before 11pm ..."

I would be in a passenger vehicle. 

What if I take a taxi from Bangkok to Ayutthaya and am stopped in between around 11:30 p.m.? How will they know my starting point and time to decide if I've violated the second rule?

Edited by JCP108

They don't seem to trust their own numbers. As there's now hardly any community spread throughout Thailand (according to those numbers), how can you spread an extinct disease by traveling from one province to another one?

• Like 2

The curfew is completely pointless. No country with zero community transmission has a curfew. No advanced economy has a curfew.

There is almost zero community transmission in Thailand. The future risk is when the borders open up. And that is controlled by quarantines and "test, trace and isolate" policies.

The curfew does nothing health related. It is a throwback to how Prayut controlled the people when he usurped power in the coup.

It is way that a scared and stupid old man keeps his boot on the neck of his citizens under the pretext that is will stop a heath crisis.

• Like 1