Converting Vintage cars to Electric.

16 hours ago, canopy said:

For most people, the physics of fuel cell vehicles make little sense compared to battery-powered vehicles.

Maybe you should research a little deeper.

We already have fuel cell vehicles. Hydrogen is already being used successfully in buses in California. Cost will come down.

I would also like to know where you expect me to plug my electric car in when I am on the fourth floor? And how long you expect me to wait while it is being charged?

And no matter what Elon Musk says, I do not want a milk float, even if it will out run a Ferrari.

Roadrunner has worked with five car manufacturers. Maybe YOU should research a little deeper.

Oh and here is a photo of the ginormous expensive heavy battery Musk has to use. Do you know what a replacement costs?

No wonder the guy is scratching his head.

Tesla model-3-battery-pack-modules_grande.jpg

Edited by DaRoadrunner

6 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

We already have fuel cell vehicles. Hydrogen is already being used successfully in buses in California.

For vehicles hydrogen cells are considered an improvement over gas, but not as good as batteries for most applications. But there are applications hydrogen makes the most sense. Its higher energy density is a key advantage over batteries.

Cost will come down.

Sure, and so will battery cost. You can't compare hydrogen 20 years from now with batteries today.

I would also like to know where you expect me to plug my electric car in when I am on the fourth floor? And how long you expect me to wait while it is being charged?

This is the beauty of the whole thing. It would make sense that each parking space will have a place to plug in whether it be at home, workplace, shopping malls, and so on. The advantage of this over hydrogen is you don't drive to a filling station and you don't wait a few minutes for the new hydrogen. You park and plug in and go straight up to the 4th floor. No time wasted waiting, no unnecessary driving. And imagine a world with no filling stations. All that land can be used for something else. And no fuel tanker trucks on the roads. Another interesting point with millions of battery cars plugged in they can be used as backup grid power; a giant virtual power plant of sorts where you can sell your excess to the power companies and get more efficient, fault tolerant power in return.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

And no matter what Elon Musk says

Tesla is a technology company. You can bet Elon is going for what he sees as the strategically best solution and if you look at his track record it would not be wise to bet against him. If hydrogen were the future you can bet Elon would be using it. But he sees batteries as the future. He is even getting into mining lithium, acquiring battery research companies, and has his own research arm to drive costs down further and further. Unlike hydrogen the day is coming, maybe even this year, that manufacturing a battery car can be cheaper than a gasoline one. Right now it costs more only because of the battery. When that day comes look out, everyone is going to ditch gasoline cars and buy the cheaper electric ones. And until that day, they won't. Cost is everything to the consumer.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Maybe YOU should research a little deeper.

I've looked at numerous unbiased clips comparing the two technologies. Do you have any particular link you would suggest?

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

No wonder the guy is scratching his head.

Tesla model-3-battery-pack-modules_grande.jpg

That's Jack Rickard.  I've known Jack personally for 10 years and have traveled halfway across the planet to attend his EV conferences - and I have two furthest-traveled trophies to prove it.  I have stood in that exact location as we converted a Smart car to fully electric in 4 days.  You saw the pictures of the Porsche 914 I restored and converted to electric earlier in this thread. 

Jack is likely the premier non-auto-company battery / motor / controller reverse-engineer in the world.  He has two of those salvaged Tesla battery packs fed by solar power at his EV conversion workshop.  He has converted at least 10 vehicles and has developed custom hardware and software to enable production vehicle parts to be used in electric conversions and home energy storage.  It's all open source so you can customize the software to your needs.  His YouTube channel has several hundred in-depth videos on everything you can imagine in the world of EVs and solar power.  He has also debunked your tired old hydrogen and charging arguments so they're worth watching so you can educate yourself.

So, he's not scratching his head because he doesn't understand it, his head must simply be itchy or he's writing the code in his head to decode the CANbus messages coming out of the BMS.  I'm dying to know your hands-on experience with EVs in any way.

Edited by mwbrown