Uk TV streaming in se asia,,,?

solomon david

TVmucho works well, not free but it just works, all the free to air stuff.

Many of the VPN providers have a "BBC solution" although the BBC are getting very good at identifying users who are not in the UK.

• Like 1

I can't tell you which is the best one because I've only used one. But the reason is that the one I use is so good I haven't bothered to explore any further.

I've been using 'My Expat Network' for 13 years now in China, Egypt and now here. For 5 GBP a month I get superb service, which I mainly use for accessing the BBC iPlayer.

The BBC rarely manage to snag them and when they do, you switch to the back up 'stealth mode' whilst they reconfigure the primary channel.

Go have a look at: https://www.my-expat-network.com

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I can't tell you which is the best one because I've only used one. But the reason is that the one I use is so good I haven't bothered to explore any further.

I've been using 'My Expat Network' for 13 years now in China, Egypt and now here. For 5 GBP a month I get superb service, which I mainly use for accessing the BBC iPlayer.

The BBC rarely manage to snag them and when they do, you switch to the back up 'stealth mode' whilst they reconfigure the primary channel.

Go have a look at: https://www.my-expat-network.com

To get BBC iPlayer free, just get a VPN connected to London and register. Express VPN does that. US$30 per year and you can use it to access many other connections to National TV services, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

So depends what you want.

I always go for the TV experience, I don't like watching stuff on my laptop, except for clips. 

Now I'm an American, but been an Anglophile all my life, I blame listening to the then awesome BBC World Service on shortwave as a kid, and have been watching the BBC, C4, ITV and recently UKTV Play on a roku for years.

I do it both in Thailand and in the US.

You need to subscribe to a DNS masking service, and install it on your router, but thats cheap, I think I pay $20 for 6 months.

You then will need to buy a Roku 3, the BBC iplayer doesn't support any of the newer models so beware. You then set up a Roku UK account, this is where you will need someone with a UK credit card and a UK address. It doesn't cost anything but it establishes you as being in the UK, then the Roku will download the UK firmware, after that you're off to the races.

If you want details on the DNS service I use, PM me, can't post it here or it'll be deleted.

Here's a screenshot of my TV, it's nearly 4am here in South Dakota, but note the roku is set to UK time

IMG_20200531_034829.jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

TVmucho works well, not free but it just works, all the free to air stuff.

Many of the VPN providers have a "BBC solution" although the BBC are getting very good at identifying users who are not in the UK.

This is why I would always avoid a VPN solution. Most of the content providers identify and block huge swaths of IP addresses associated with server farms pretty quickly

Even with DNS redirect services you need to recognize it's a cat and mouse thing, but they tend to come up with a workaround, but you might have to live with a few days of downtime.

I don't subscribe to any of the DNS services for longer than a six month term, just in case they don't find that workaround. Over the years I've been through a few, a couple multiple times

47 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

To get BBC iPlayer free, just get a VPN connected to London and register. Express VPN does that. US$30 per year and you can use it to access many other connections to National TV services, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

As others have said, the BBC and its ilk are getting wise to the VPN to circumvent the UK rules, and indeed I recently purchased one of the top rated VPNs (second word is.. Ghost) and although I did manage to watch a couple of BBC iPlayer programs, that is not the case now.

I have been in touch with the company many, many times and sent them all sorts of information including my computer settings, VPN network settings, messages on the BBC screen and so on, in fact everything they have asked for and still no go, and after about a month of dealing with one particular person in the organisation, a new representative came back to me and said that they were having problems with BBC as that organisation was going to great pains to shut that access down.

So I am left with no access to the BBC iPlayer (which I like) and a three year subscription, which is a pain, although I can use it on my other computer for torrenting.

I might go back to my SmartDNS set up to see if I can get any joy with that?

50 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So depends what you want.

I always go for the TV experience, I don't like watching stuff on my laptop, except for clips. 

Now I'm an American, but been an Anglophile all my life, I blame listening to the then awesome BBC World Service on shortwave as a kid, and have been watching the BBC, C4, ITV and recently UKTV Play on a roku for years.

I do it both in Thailand and in the US.

You need to subscribe to a DNS masking service, and install it on your router, but thats cheap, I think I pay $20 for 6 months.

You then will need to buy a Roku 3, the BBC iplayer doesn't support any of the newer models so beware. You then set up a Roku UK account, this is where you will need someone with a UK credit card and a UK address. It doesn't cost anything but it establishes you as being in the UK, then the Roku will download the UK firmware, after that you're off to the races.

If you want details on the DNS service I use, PM me, can't post it here or it'll be deleted.

Here's a screenshot of my TV, it's nearly 4am here in South Dakota, but note the roku is set to UK time

IMG_20200531_034829.jpg

That certainly deserves a prize for the most complicate way to achieve something simple.

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is why I would always avoid a VPN solution. Most of the content providers identify and block huge swaths of IP addresses associated with server farms pretty quickly

Even with DNS redirect services you need to recognize it's a cat and mouse thing, but they tend to come up with a workaround, but you might have to live with a few days of downtime.

My VPN cost 3000 Baht for a lifetime subscription, and before Smart Alec jumps in I use it for 6 year already, and it always works with Iplayer and Netflix. The other 10 services I don't use but I assume they also work.

A SmartDNS doesn't hide your real IP, so much easier to get blocked than any VPN

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

My VPN cost 3000 Baht for a lifetime subscription, and before Smart Alec jumps in I use it for 6 year already, and it always works with Iplayer and Netflix. The other 10 services I don't use but I assume they also work.

So would you provide a clue to the name of this VPN, as I may well give it a try.

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

A SmartDNS doesn't hide your real IP, so much easier to get blocked than any VPN

My current full VPN, as per my previous post, is a well-known one, but not working on BBC iPlayer, and as I do have SmartDNS already loaded I'll give it another try, but if as you say, it's going to be blocked all the same, then I'm back to square one!

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

So would you provide a clue to the name of this VPN, as I may well give it a try.

Feel free to send me a PM.

Is Smart DNS better than VPN?
Compared to a VPN (Virtual Private Network), the Smart DNS does not provide encrypted connections, and it does not change the IP address of the device in use. ... Because the Smart DNS does not encrypt data, the connection between website and computer is much faster than the connection established through a VPN tunnel.

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

Because the Smart DNS does not encrypt data, the connection between website and computer is much faster than the connection established through a VPN tunnel.

So faster than a VPN........if it works??

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

So faster than a VPN........if it works??

So absolutely a smart DNS solution will be faster, a VPN will always lose speed, a smart DNS will be essentially your full speed through the Thai international gateway.

Now as I stated earlier with all of this it's cat and mouse and you need to be prepared for interruptions.

VPN's are the easiest for the content providers to block, since they blacklist server farm IP's in their millions.

Smart DNS providers are a little different since they fool the provider into thinking the lookup is from a domestic IP

To guy that said I 'won the prize for the most complicated solution'. I never said that I was aiming for the simplest. 

What I said was, that I liked my TV to look like regular seamless TV, which is what I have!

• Like 1

My take is and I guess what OP wants, 15 years ago I was buying CD films so could watch something, then internet came to our village and it has just got better for me.

I have no time for BBC they are controlled and they have the front to call RT fake news, Al Jazeera is OK but again controlled a bit.

I have internet so can watch many things, can download from Popcorn and my daughter has Netflix in Uk which she give me access to in Thailand.

For technophobes PulseTV is easy - just buy the box and plug it in.  All UK channels including Sky (movies and sport), BT Sport, and lots of US, Australian and European ones too.  Video on demand with latest releases of movies and TV series.  Not cheap (800-1,000 a month) but reliable with good (online/real-time) customer support.

5 hours ago, uncleP said:

Mobdro has it all except I player and is free. There are others try searching.

Mobdro for me too. Its free and very reliable. 

Its not available on appstore or play, but is on aptoid or Google search mobdro apk download 

Another OK one is taptv. 

Again, you have to search for a apk download on Google. 

Anyone experience with a good (streaming) platform that actually has subtitling / closed captioning?
I do miss the C4 and iTV channels, and the few systems I have tried all didn't has the CC.

A good newsletter on this subject can be read here :

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-08-28/the-strange-story-of-how-deaf-and-blind-viewers-were-left-behind-by-the-on-demand-revolution/

On 5/31/2020 at 10:31 PM, northsouthdevide said:

Mobdro for me too. Its free and very reliable. 

Its not available on appstore or play, but is on aptoid or Google search mobdro apk download 

Another OK one is taptv. 

Again, you have to search for a apk download on Google.

Downloaded on my phone and Mobdro appears stable but, unless I've missed it, it's live only. Is there no catchup option?