jet ski launch hua hin

mikeyjj

i just moved to hua hin from bangkok and am thinking about buying a jet ski, dose anyone know where i can launch it in the water off the back of a trailer ideally be able to revers it to drop it in and then the same when i want to get it back on, i have found a place called racer marina but was hoping there was somewhere closer to me i am based on soi 2 in hua hin  

Launch it off the back of a truck into a dumpster. A terrible invention against the peace and tranquility of water users.

Windsurfing yes.

Yachts yes.

Fishing boats yes.

Ski boats yes.

Jet skiis no.

Edited by Sujo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I believe this person is not aware of the damage it can cause.
In addition, she wants her marina at the foot of her door.
Maybe a hydrafoiler would be enough, but of course it does less to the Hawaiian Islands and the muscular, tanned guy.
And to say that some want to eliminate geckos, others cicadas and still others roosters.
They make too much noise, they pollute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mikeyjj said:

lol i should of known not to ask on a forum full of old farts unless you can answer my question go away i dont wanna hear it go cry to the guys that rent out jetskis on the beach   

I would find a firm beach adjacent to HH where you can back a  trailer into the shallows to off/on load, so a good 4x4 and a good trailer is needed. Another option  may be to come to an agreement (you pay something for the privilege) with a hotel that has a private beach, and perhaps a private slipway.  Worth trying.   I do understand that you need some kind of marine licence to operate it, so check with the Marine Department first, or you may find yourself in trouble. Last point, stay well away from the beach Thai jet ski scammers, they will not be amused at you having your own.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

I would find a firm beach adjacent to HH where you can back a  trailer into the shallows to off/on load, so a good 4x4 and a good trailer is needed.  I do understand that you need some kind of marine licence to operate it, so check with the Marine Department first, or you may find yourself in trouble. Last point, stay well away from the beach Thai jet ski scammers, they will not be amused at you having your own.  

thanks for the info i will look in to what licence i need, i dont have a 4x4 just a car and the jet ski im looking at comes with a trailer so was looking for a concrete ramp some where, i did spot one in a fishing village just south of hua hin, but by the sounds of it im better off taking it to racer marina, as for the jet ski renter guys im not too fussed about them i wont be renting it out so its none of their business  

• Sad 1

Oh! there we are dealing with a person of class and elegance.
But, did you not know that Hua Hin was a city of old farts.
The proof is that we are building retirement homes by storm.
They will have to be filled in.
I recommend Pattaya, there are many old farts, but they are more fun and reluctant by any law.

Just now, sirocco said:

Oh! there we are dealing with a person of class and elegance.
But, did you not know that Hua Hin was a city of old farts.
The proof is that we are building retirement homes by storm.
They will have to be filled in.
I recommend Pattaya, there are many old farts, but they are more fun and reluctant by any law.

no im ok im fine where i am thanks id rather not live in a city for sex pats

2 hours ago, mikeyjj said:

just moved to hua hin from bangkok and am thinking about buying a jet ski, dose anyone know where i can launch it in the water off the back of a trailer ideally be able to revers it to drop it in and then the same when i want to get it back on, i have found a place called racer marina but was hoping there was somewhere closer to me i am based on soi 2 in hua hin  

have you looked into owing a marine vehicle in Thailand?

i don't think you can get a license or drive it.  

4 minutes ago, mikeyjj said:

thanks for the info i will look in to what licence i need, i dont have a 4x4 just a car and the jet ski im looking at comes with a trailer so was looking for a concrete ramp some where, i did spot one in a fishing village just south of hua hin, but by the sounds of it im better off taking it to racer marina, as for the jet ski renter guys im not too fussed about them i wont be renting it out so its none of their business  

Please do not dismiss the threat from the jet ski renter people.  They are all nasty pieces of work, often with criminal records and a violent nature. Anyone with a ramp close to HH will be influenced by who you will be pissing off, so that may well not be possible. Take the threat seriously. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

have you looked into owing a marine vehicle in Thailand?

i don't think you can get a license or drive it.  

This may or may not apply to jet skis, foreigners are not excluded...

"To drive a speedboat in Thailand, you must have a Helmsman Level 2 license issued by the Marine Office. To be issued a Helmsman Level 2 license you must pass a written test of 40 questions and pass an oral exam of five questions to prove that you understand boat operating regulations in Thailand. A copy of these regulations is available in Thai only at the Phuket Marine Office. However, the written and oral tests can be taken in Thai or English. When applying, you will need to bring to the Phuket Marine Office: • Three two-inch photos • Either your passport or your Thai ID card. If you are a foreigner, you must also bring a letter from a consulate or embassy of your home country verifying that the passport is genuine, accurate and valid. • If you are a foreigner, you must bring a letter issued by an Immigration Office confirming your address in Thailand. This letter must also be verified by a consulate or embassy of your home country. Thais must produce their house registration paper. • A medical certificate verifying that your are fit to drive a boat. • Proof that you have at least two years’ experience in basic seamanship. This requires a signed and dated letter from the owner of a boat that you have learned on. It is not neccessary to have learned on a Thai-registered boat, but the boat must have been registered somewhere for at least two years. You will need to bring a copy of the boat’s registration, signed and dated by the owner of the boat, as well as a signed and dated copy of his or her passport or Thai ID card. Please note that while Marine Office regulations do not stipulate what type or size of vessels are appropriate for you to have gained experience on, these factors will be considered in the decision whether to issue you a license. You will also need to bring one copy of all documents submitted with your application.

Kittipong Wasukri, Officer, Phuket Marine Office".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

I believe this person is not aware of the damage it can cause.
In addition, she wants her marina at the foot of her door.
Maybe a hydrafoiler would be enough, but of course it does less to the Hawaiian Islands and the muscular, tanned guy.
And to say that some want to eliminate geckos, others cicadas and still others roosters.
They make too much noise, they pollute.

Now might be a good time to ask the young OP, "What are your pronouns?"

58 minutes ago, mikeyjj said:

lol i should of known not to ask on a forum full of old farts unless you can answer my question go away i dont wanna hear it go cry to the guys that rent out jetskis on the beach   

What are your pronouns?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

This may or may not apply to jet skis, foreigners are not excluded...

"To drive a speedboat in Thailand, you must have a Helmsman Level 2 license issued by the Marine Office. To be issued a Helmsman Level 2 license you must pass a written test of 40 questions and pass an oral exam of five questions to prove that you understand boat operating regulations in Thailand. A copy of these regulations is available in Thai only at the Phuket Marine Office. However, the written and oral tests can be taken in Thai or English. When applying, you will need to bring to the Phuket Marine Office: • Three two-inch photos • Either your passport or your Thai ID card. If you are a foreigner, you must also bring a letter from a consulate or embassy of your home country verifying that the passport is genuine, accurate and valid. • If you are a foreigner, you must bring a letter issued by an Immigration Office confirming your address in Thailand. This letter must also be verified by a consulate or embassy of your home country. Thais must produce their house registration paper. • A medical certificate verifying that your are fit to drive a boat. • Proof that you have at least two years’ experience in basic seamanship. This requires a signed and dated letter from the owner of a boat that you have learned on. It is not neccessary to have learned on a Thai-registered boat, but the boat must have been registered somewhere for at least two years. You will need to bring a copy of the boat’s registration, signed and dated by the owner of the boat, as well as a signed and dated copy of his or her passport or Thai ID card. Please note that while Marine Office regulations do not stipulate what type or size of vessels are appropriate for you to have gained experience on, these factors will be considered in the decision whether to issue you a license. You will also need to bring one copy of all documents submitted with your application.

Kittipong Wasukri, Officer, Phuket Marine Office".

so, they clearly don't want to issue many of those then?  Stupid, unnecessary, bureaucratic nonsense, so perfectly normal for  Thailand.  I wonder how many of the little fishing boat owners I see out in the bay, scraping a living in the shallows have such a certification? 

1 hour ago, mikeyjj said:

Lovely bloke.....????

Good luck getting your trailer street legal.  There's a 90% chance that won't cause problems, and it generally didn't for me while I owned mine.  But it's part of the minefield that newbies don't understand when they first arrive.  It opens you up to all kinds of issues whenever a cop is short of rent money that week.  Which, again, rarely caused me significant problems.  Until they wouldn't even let me access the motorways pulling the trailer (or even with kayaks on a roof rack).  That may not be an issue for you, but it kept me from a lot of the activities I had planned to do when I bought my water toys.

The fact that they let anyone with 500 baht rent and operate a jet ski may look like a good sign to the noob.  But that's generally because the police are in on the jet ski scams.  They may (or may not) be as "flexible" for someone who isn't part of the locally approved mafia.  (Edit:  And I'm still expecting to hear from someone injured on a jet ski whose travel insurance refuses to pay because they didn't have the required license)

My suggestion would be to hold off making any $$$ purchases of boats, jet skis, kayaks, etc, until you understand the entire tapestry of the laws you'll be encountering.  Meet other LOCAL (to your target area) expats who are already doing what you plan to do.  Ask them the question(s) you're asking here.  Then decide.   IMO, the fact that you're asking the question here indicates that you haven't done the diligence you need to do to understand what you're getting into.  And whether you're covered by insurance if anything bad happens.

That's not a slam in any respect.  Nor do I mean to discourage you.  I had a ball with my kayaks and 3 small outboard powered boats, without ever being able to get them fully legal.  But I did run into an occasional tea money situation, and getting around without getting on the motorways was a challenge.  It's a long and miserable trip from BKK to Pattaya or Koh Chang on the side roads.

On an aside, even getting a trailer hitch for my pickup truck was a challenge.  I had to buy a semi-finished kit and do some cutting and welding.  And not everyone is set up to do welding.  Just another factor to consider.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

i reside just past Hua Hin and a local, American, has two jet ski's, on a road legal and tax paid trailer which was provided by shop.

He purchased them from Motofield near Samut Sakhon, next door to the BMW motorcycle shop.

He regularly towed them from Bangkok to here for weekend use but now he has a storage area locally.

i am not sure as to how many boat ramps are in the area, we have 3 in my little town, but there should be a few but just remember that sometimes they might be of a slightly different standard to what you would expect.

as for the noise and danger to swimmers we are assuming that you would be a responsible person and therefor not run swimmers over or kneel on their necks, as for the noise well they will just have to learn to live with it, they are no louder than many a scooter ridden at crazy speed by the charming local boys in Hua Hin.

my suggestion is jump on a scooter and go for a ride along the seafront, investigate all the little soi's and just look for a boat ramp. when you find one ask your significant other, who hopefully speaks the local language, to enquire if it is available for public use.

the idea of using a sedan type car to launch you ski may present problems but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

there is a small but thriving jet ski scene oil Thailand and as i am sure you are aware there are races and all sorts of things.

there is, or was, an annual race from Hua Hin to pattaya.

good luck and enjoy yourself.

Moose

8 hours ago, moose7117 said:

i reside just past Hua Hin and a local, American, has two jet ski's, on a road legal and tax paid trailer which was provided by shop.

He purchased them from Motofield near Samut Sakhon, next door to the BMW motorcycle shop.

He regularly towed them from Bangkok to here for weekend use but now he has a storage area locally.

i am not sure as to how many boat ramps are in the area, we have 3 in my little town, but there should be a few but just remember that sometimes they might be of a slightly different standard to what you would expect.

as for the noise and danger to swimmers we are assuming that you would be a responsible person and therefor not run swimmers over or kneel on their necks, as for the noise well they will just have to learn to live with it, they are no louder than many a scooter ridden at crazy speed by the charming local boys in Hua Hin.

my suggestion is jump on a scooter and go for a ride along the seafront, investigate all the little soi's and just look for a boat ramp. when you find one ask your significant other, who hopefully speaks the local language, to enquire if it is available for public use.

the idea of using a sedan type car to launch you ski may present problems but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

there is a small but thriving jet ski scene oil Thailand and as i am sure you are aware there are races and all sorts of things.

there is, or was, an annual race from Hua Hin to pattaya.

good luck and enjoy yourself.

Moose

thanks for this 

23 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Jet Skis are nosy, dangerous to people / swimmers, a threat to the environment and should be banned altogether... as far as I am concerned 

Yeah but he wasnt asking that or  about the price of cheese  either.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mikeyjj said:

Hua Hin is full of old farts so why have you moved here?

Hopefully the Jet Ski guys will sort you out - if they see one of your mates on it they will be right over- in fact if they see you on it they will to

Good luck - you will need it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Hua Hin is full of old farts so why have you moved here?

Hopefully the Jet Ski guys will sort you out - if they see one of your mates on it they will be right over- in fact if they see you on it they will to

Good luck - you will need it

Listen silly old man I have lived here for 6 years I ain’t just got off the plane! The other 28 years of my life I grew up in north west London and have seen it all, do you really think I’m worried about a few Skinny thai men trying to bully me because I have my own jet ski ???? behave yourself, 

But your more then welcome To come and try “ sort me out “ If you want, just drop me a DM and we can link up 

6 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

No license is needed, as they are not considered boats, but a watercraft. That is why they are exempt from regulations such as lighting, ventilation, and so on which would apply to boats. I have three here in Kanchanaburi, and on the weekends ride with some of local tourist police. If you have a light jet ski, usually a two stroke, you can launch it from  the beach, a trick is to lower the air pressure in the trailer tires to provide more contact surface with the ground. A newer 4 stroke will will need a hard ramp to launch because of the weight. Another option would be to launch using a beach cart. The sea doo dealer in Bangkok can get you one. On the trailer hitch any welding shop can fabricate one for you. Mine cost 5000 baht for my Toyota Hi-Lux, installed. 

Thanks for the heads up, I’m thinking about getting a little sea doo spark trixx from what I have seen they are the lightest jet skis you can get so maybe it won’t be a problem wheeling it on and off the beach I just wasn’t sure how hard it would be to pull it on the sand 

On 6/1/2020 at 11:15 PM, mikeyjj said:

Listen silly old man I have lived here for 6 years I ain’t just got off the plane! The other 28 years of my life I grew up in north west London and have seen it all, do you really think I’m worried about a few Skinny thai men trying to bully me because I have my own jet ski ???? behave yourself, 

But your more then welcome To come and try “ sort me out “ If you want, just drop me a DM and we can link up 

Wow 6 years? Sooo long

You're from NW London? Ohhh you must be so hard then

Who offered to sort you out? I said the Jet Ski guys hopefully would and hopefully they will

You're obviously a clown so let's hope you crash your silly Jet Ski and then get a good slap off the Jet Ski guys

On 6/1/2020 at 7:28 PM, moose7117 said:

as previously mentioned i am familiar with jets scene around PKK area and in my opinion you sir are an ill informed idiot !

Hey come on I don't mind being called a idiot but the ill informed is a bit strong ????????