How do Uni teachers survive on their salaries?

Just got in touch with a relatively large and famous uni about perhaps working in the LOS. Time for an adventure, change of scenery, etc.  Anyway, the salary range mentioned for someone with an MEd. was "up to" 28,400 baht per month.  With a PhD, perhaps up to 40,000.  I was a bit ...surprised.  How do teachers survive on that wage?  Given that the Thai govt expects retirees to show proof of 65,000 baht per month income, I was assuming that 65,000 was something around a decent number in order to live well.  

So, do teachers supplement their incomes somehow- extra classes, test marking, exam interviews (Cambridge, etc)?  I am honestly at a loss. 

• Like 1

University jobs are notoriously underpaid and I think the only way to boost the salary is through tutoring. A friend of mine had a salary similar to what you mentioned from a university in Bangkok and then made over double that by tutoring.

It was very easy work he said, but without solid savings you can't live a comfortable life on that sort of salary. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You can't expect the type of salaries in the USA and Europe with the low cost of living in Thailand.

I dont think he is. But maybe asking that a uni lecturer salary should really be above the amount imm thinks is needed to survive.

• Like 2

That's a little low for a masters! Shud be around 36K.

Many Uni's will give a 5% salary increase each additional year up to an upper amount.

I do online lessons and blog work, so I use the money from that for expenses, and save the Uni salary. Can save about 400k a year. ????

The Uni gig is quite easy if you understand the 'game.' ????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the extra can be, teach beautiful adult girls ... lol

I have been massively disappointed at that outcome. Up close, they are not that pretty.

There is an exception sometimes, but it isn't a regular thing. ????

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the extra can be, teach beautiful adult girls ... lol

You're right. But not as much fun as you might think. Years ago I taught for a semester at a Bkk uni. It was an international program and we had students from Europe (particularly, France, some kind of dual degree deal) and a bunch of well-to-do Thais.

The cute factor was off the charts. But it was like that Seinfeld joke about lap dances, chocolate all over your face but you can't stick your tongue out for a lick. Not at least if you didn't want to be hauled before VP Academic. Given that the school owns your WP it's smart for expat profs to steer clear of any and all risky business.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

University salaries are generally lower than High school salaries all over the world.

It's perfectly normal.

Not in my experience. Three of my immediate family are university academics all three are on £80K plus salaries , one, albeit a Professor and Dean at an 'Russel Group' school, is on high 6 figures.   Perhaps the low salaries in Thai Unis reflect their standing in the World University league table, low, or more likely its the other way around.  You tend to get what you pay for. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

That's a little low for a masters! Shud be around 36K.

Many Uni's will give a 5% salary increase each additional year up to an upper amount.

I do online lessons and blog work, so I use the money from that for expenses, and save the Uni salary. Can save about 400k a year. ????

The Uni gig is quite easy if you understand the 'game.' ????

We know all teachers are saving a fortune right?

Isn't that why they go into teaching?

400,000 / 12 = 33,333 a month for online lessons and blog, plus university work?

Come on. You would be so busy working you wouldn't have time to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

You can't expect the type of salaries in the USA and Europe with the low cost of living in Thailand.

Hi Eric;

I wasn't expecting to get the same salary as here (Japan). But I wasn't expecting to take an 80% plus haircut either.  I don't think the cost of living is 80% less.   I can see how some guys supplement their incomes, but that takes time to build networks and get to know people.  Maybe I'll just stay here, work,  and vacation in the LOS until retirement. Who knows what life will be like in 5 years...

19 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

We know all teachers are saving a fortune right?

Isn't that why they go into teaching?

400,000 / 12 = 33,333 a month for online lessons and blog, plus university work?

Come on. You would be so busy working you wouldn't have time to sleep.

Surprisingly, no. Blog work is very easy when you have been doing it for years. The words just come off the tongue easily. Online teaching is around 22,400 a month, and that's only doing an hour a day. 

Blog work about 14K, so 36k is enough for me and the wife. House paid for, truck paid for, motorcycles paid for. Just internet, water and incrementals after that. Village life is quite easy. ????

I do save my full Uni salary. Maybe go into it once or twice a year, when we do some home improvements. ???? Other than that - don't touch it. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Why Me said:

Can't be talking of the US. A tenured prof easily make $100k even at a mid-level uni, can be much more in a field like business or engineering. A very senior high school teacher might get into the 80s at best.

Fewer than 25% of instructors at American colleges and universities are tenured or on tenure track. The vast majority are non-tenured, or, worse, working as adjunct instructors. The 75% teaching in non-tenured or adjunct positions have smaller salaries, fewer benefits and less security than virtually any teacher at any grade level in a public school. It's a sad state of affairs for those aspiring to a career in academia.

Edited by ChristianBlessing
clarity

14 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Surprisingly, no. Blog work is very easy when you have been doing it for years. The words just come off the tongue easily. Online teaching is around 22,400 a month, and that's only doing an hour a day. 

Blog work about 14K, so 36k is enough for me and the wife. House paid for, truck paid for, motorcycles paid for. Just internet, water and incrementals after that. Village life is quite easy. ????

I do save my full Uni salary. Maybe go into it once or twice a year, when we do some home improvements. ???? Other than that - don't touch it. ????

lucky you 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought it was entirely reasonable.

Teaching in high school takes far more skill than at a University.

Almost no classroom management or discipline skills required in University.

There is money to be made in universities but that's mostly sponsored research.

True.  if my sister is anything to go by, her contracted teaching hours at her Oxford College are 15 hours per month, the rest of the time she spends writing books and articles and carrying out 'research'.  Her salary effectively comes from research grants, donations and contributions  from private industry, that she attracts to the College and payment for conference attendance and speaking, not from student fees. Not a bad life if you can get it.

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Hi Eric;

I wasn't expecting to get the same salary as here (Japan). But I wasn't expecting to take an 80% plus haircut either.  I don't think the cost of living is 80% less.   I can see how some guys supplement their incomes, but that takes time to build networks and get to know people.  Maybe I'll just stay here, work,  and vacation in the LOS until retirement. Who knows what life will be like in 5 years...

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai, though places like Chula and Mahidol have a few faculty slots open for expats to teach in their international programs. But then you are looking at a local Govt. scale salary.

Have you investigated private universities with international programs, where the teaching is in English and students tend to be from all over (and the student fees are very high)? E.g. SIIT, AIT, ... As I said earlier salaries there are very good by Thai standards, typically more than 100k/mth.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought it was entirely reasonable.

Teaching in high school takes far more skill than at a University.

Almost no classroom management or discipline skills required in University.

Different skill sets. I've taught high school and university (US and here). High schools require people skills more than academic smarts, universities the other way around.

And for a tenure-track position at a uni there's a major hurdle which school teachers don't face, which is a PhD. And that's where the uni teacher's market value comes from.

I am not trying to belittle school teachers, molding a child has far bigger consequence over what they'll become than teaching an adult college goer. But try getting a PhD from a top school. It's expensive, a tremendous amount of work and then a horrible attrition rate. I mopped floors, scrubbed dishes and slept 5 hours a night for 4 years to get one.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There is money to be made in universities but that's mostly sponsored research.

As a guy above says, non-tenure-track and adjuncts have a hard life. Tenure-track salaries and benefits are good though. And once you have tenure you're in serious clover. A lifetime job, good salary and benefits. Sure you can go all type A and be chasing grant money 24/7 and making yourself miserable. But it's not mandatory after tenure (before, yes, publish or perish, get funding or perish, 'orrible existence).

Btw, the grant money can't be spent on yourself. But what happens is that profs with lots of grant money get big raises anyway.

Heck, I had tenure at a Research 2 university in the US before I got a rush of blood to the head:-)

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai,

Not true. Government uni's have an English department, and there are many subjects taught in English. Most Gov uni's have an International College on the main campus, that concentrates on Business programs taught in English.

24 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Not true. Government uni's have an English department, and there are many subjects taught in English. Most Gov uni's have an International College on the main campus, that concentrates on Business programs taught in English.

That's what I said if you'd cared not to cut me off at the comma:

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai, though places like Chula and Mahidol have a few faculty slots open for expats to teach in their international programs.