BANGKOK
Hanaguma

How do Uni teachers survive on their salaries?

Just got in touch with a relatively large and famous uni about perhaps working in the LOS. Time for an adventure, change of scenery, etc.  Anyway, the salary range mentioned for someone with an MEd. was "up to" 28,400 baht per month.  With a PhD, perhaps up to 40,000.  I was a bit ...surprised.  How do teachers survive on that wage?  Given that the Thai govt expects retirees to show proof of 65,000 baht per month income, I was assuming that 65,000 was something around a decent number in order to live well.  

So, do teachers supplement their incomes somehow- extra classes, test marking, exam interviews (Cambridge, etc)?  I am honestly at a loss. 

• Like 1

University salaries are generally lower than High school salaries all over the world.

It's perfectly normal.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5

University jobs are notoriously underpaid and I think the only way to boost the salary is through tutoring. A friend of mine had a salary similar to what you mentioned from a university in Bangkok and then made over double that by tutoring.

It was very easy work he said, but without solid savings you can't live a comfortable life on that sort of salary. 

• Like 2

You got it, it is what it is.

You can do online tutoring to supplement.

Up to you.

They get paid in the ability to stare at black skirts all day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You can't expect the type of salaries in the USA and Europe with the low cost of living in Thailand.

I dont think he is. But maybe asking that a uni lecturer salary should really be above the amount imm thinks is needed to survive.

• Like 2

That's a little low for a masters! Shud be around 36K.

Many Uni's will give a 5% salary increase each additional year up to an upper amount.

I do online lessons and blog work, so I use the money from that for expenses, and save the Uni salary. Can save about 400k a year. 🙂

The Uni gig is quite easy if you understand the 'game.' 🙂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the extra can be, teach beautiful adult girls ... lol

I have been massively disappointed at that outcome. Up close, they are not that pretty.

There is an exception sometimes, but it isn't a regular thing. 😞

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the extra can be, teach beautiful adult girls ... lol

You're right. But not as much fun as you might think. Years ago I taught for a semester at a Bkk uni. It was an international program and we had students from Europe (particularly, France, some kind of dual degree deal) and a bunch of well-to-do Thais.

The cute factor was off the charts. But it was like that Seinfeld joke about lap dances, chocolate all over your face but you can't stick your tongue out for a lick. Not at least if you didn't want to be hauled before VP Academic. Given that the school owns your WP it's smart for expat profs to steer clear of any and all risky business.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2