Jump to content
BANGKOK
Hanaguma

How do Uni teachers survive on their salaries?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

University salaries are generally lower than High school salaries all over the world.

It's perfectly normal.

 

 

Not in my experience. Three of my immediate family are university academics all three are on £80K plus salaries , one, albeit a Professor and Dean at an 'Russel Group' school, is on high 6 figures.   Perhaps the low salaries in Thai Unis reflect their standing in the World University league table, low, or more likely its the other way around.  You tend to get what you pay for. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thequietman said:

That's a little low for a masters! Shud be around 36K.

 

Many Uni's will give a 5% salary increase each additional year up to an upper amount.

 

I do online lessons and blog work, so I use the money from that for expenses, and save the Uni salary. Can save about 400k a year. 🙂

 

The Uni gig is quite easy if you understand the 'game.' 🙂

We know all teachers are saving a fortune right?

 

Isn't that why they go into teaching?

 

400,000 / 12 = 33,333 a month for online lessons and blog, plus university work?

 

Come on. You would be so busy working you wouldn't have time to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricTh said:

You can't expect the type of salaries in the USA and Europe with the low cost of living in Thailand.

Hi Eric;

 

I wasn't expecting to get the same salary as here (Japan). But I wasn't expecting to take an 80% plus haircut either.  I don't think the cost of living is 80% less.   I can see how some guys supplement their incomes, but that takes time to build networks and get to know people.  Maybe I'll just stay here, work,  and vacation in the LOS until retirement. Who knows what life will be like in 5 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

We know all teachers are saving a fortune right?

 

Isn't that why they go into teaching?

 

400,000 / 12 = 33,333 a month for online lessons and blog, plus university work?

 

Come on. You would be so busy working you wouldn't have time to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Surprisingly, no. Blog work is very easy when you have been doing it for years. The words just come off the tongue easily. Online teaching is around 22,400 a month, and that's only doing an hour a day. 

Blog work about 14K, so 36k is enough for me and the wife. House paid for, truck paid for, motorcycles paid for. Just internet, water and incrementals after that. Village life is quite easy. 🙂

 

I do save my full Uni salary. Maybe go into it once or twice a year, when we do some home improvements. 🙂 Other than that - don't touch it. 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Why Me said:

Can't be talking of the US. A tenured prof easily make $100k even at a mid-level uni, can be much more in a field like business or engineering. A very senior high school teacher might get into the 80s at best.

Fewer than 25% of instructors at American colleges and universities are tenured or on tenure track. The vast majority are non-tenured, or, worse, working as adjunct instructors. The 75% teaching in non-tenured or adjunct positions have smaller salaries, fewer benefits and less security than virtually any teacher at any grade level in a public school. It's a sad state of affairs for those aspiring to a career in academia.

Edited by ChristianBlessing
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Surprisingly, no. Blog work is very easy when you have been doing it for years. The words just come off the tongue easily. Online teaching is around 22,400 a month, and that's only doing an hour a day. 

Blog work about 14K, so 36k is enough for me and the wife. House paid for, truck paid for, motorcycles paid for. Just internet, water and incrementals after that. Village life is quite easy. 🙂

 

I do save my full Uni salary. Maybe go into it once or twice a year, when we do some home improvements. 🙂 Other than that - don't touch it. 🙂

lucky you 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

How do teachers survive on that wage?

easy. its called debt.

Edited by mr mr
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought it was entirely reasonable.

Teaching in high school takes far more skill than at a University.

Almost no classroom management or discipline skills required in University.

 

There is money to be made in universities but that's mostly sponsored research.

True.  if my sister is anything to go by, her contracted teaching hours at her Oxford College are 15 hours per month, the rest of the time she spends writing books and articles and carrying out 'research'.  Her salary effectively comes from research grants, donations and contributions  from private industry, that she attracts to the College and payment for conference attendance and speaking, not from student fees. Not a bad life if you can get it.

Edited by Pilotman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Hi Eric;

 

I wasn't expecting to get the same salary as here (Japan). But I wasn't expecting to take an 80% plus haircut either.  I don't think the cost of living is 80% less.   I can see how some guys supplement their incomes, but that takes time to build networks and get to know people.  Maybe I'll just stay here, work,  and vacation in the LOS until retirement. Who knows what life will be like in 5 years...

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai, though places like Chula and Mahidol have a few faculty slots open for expats to teach in their international programs. But then you are looking at a local Govt. scale salary.

 

Have you investigated private universities with international programs, where the teaching is in English and students tend to be from all over (and the student fees are very high)? E.g. SIIT, AIT, ... As I said earlier salaries there are very good by Thai standards, typically more than 100k/mth.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought it was entirely reasonable.

Teaching in high school takes far more skill than at a University.

Almost no classroom management or discipline skills required in University.

Different skill sets. I've taught high school and university (US and here). High schools require people skills more than academic smarts, universities the other way around.

 

And for a tenure-track position at a uni there's a major hurdle which school teachers don't face, which is a PhD. And that's where the uni teacher's market value comes from.

 

I am not trying to belittle school teachers, molding a child has far bigger consequence over what they'll become than teaching an adult college goer. But try getting a PhD from a top school. It's expensive, a tremendous amount of work and then a horrible attrition rate. I mopped floors, scrubbed dishes and slept 5 hours a night for 4 years to get one.

 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There is money to be made in universities but that's mostly sponsored research.

As a guy above says, non-tenure-track and adjuncts have a hard life. Tenure-track salaries and benefits are good though. And once you have tenure you're in serious clover. A lifetime job, good salary and benefits. Sure you can go all type A and be chasing grant money 24/7 and making yourself miserable. But it's not mandatory after tenure (before, yes, publish or perish, get funding or perish, 'orrible existence).

 

Btw, the grant money can't be spent on yourself. But what happens is that profs with lots of grant money get big raises anyway.

 

Heck, I had tenure at a Research 2 university in the US before I got a rush of blood to the head:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai,

Not true. Government uni's have an English department, and there are many subjects taught in English. Most Gov uni's have an International College on the main campus, that concentrates on Business programs taught in English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Not true. Government uni's have an English department, and there are many subjects taught in English. Most Gov uni's have an International College on the main campus, that concentrates on Business programs taught in English.

 

That's what I said if you'd cared not to cut me off at the comma:

 

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Obviously, you are not likely to be hired by a public Govt. financed uni here, mainly because most classes are taught in Thai, though places like Chula and Mahidol have a few faculty slots open for expats to teach in their international programs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s 12 hrs a week for 28 weeks a year, rolling contract with privileges.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...