Permanent Residency

Good afternoon,

I am a single father of a Thai nation (have a full custody document issued by a local court ). I can apply based on humanity reasons after full 3 years extension. One thing is still unclear do I need to have job in Thailand or income from aboard is fine? Or the main interest is getting TAX? If yes, can the TAX be paid from overseas income? 

13 minutes ago, uhuh said:

I don't quite understand these requirements. 

To apply for any kind of PR you need a WP ?

So, even to apply for PR as investor or for humanity reasons you need a WP first, and be working here for 3 years? 

That is correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is correct.

Perhaps read the requirements here.  Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

I have read these requirements, but the list of qualifications is not full. Thai embassy in London states other categories that don't require WP. Here

Sections 2.3 and 2.5 as well as 3.3.1 and 3.3.3 These categories are missing in your attachment.

It should be an official document listing all categories and requirements. Maybe anyone has an idea where they can be listed? 
 Immigration Act has only general information about entering and exiting the kingdom

Edited by nirocool

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

An embassy website is not a reliable source for matters relateing to immigration.

The categories you mentioned went away over a decade ago. There was a notice done in 2003 that had those numbers but is

twas rescinded long ago.

Very strange, I just find the same information at the official immigration site, here and official document here.  The last page update was done in 2016. Are these categories really gone?

Given the current government I'd say that you'd be having to bringing something quite special over here for them to be even vaguely interested, or millions of dollars of course. Humanitarian grounds? forget it...

• Like 1

I have asked my agent numerous times about PR, and every time she asked "Why would you want to do that? No advantage over your WP and extension." The last time I asked, she said that basically, with the investment I would need to make in acquiring the PR, I would be much farther ahead to just buy the 20 year Elite Visa, and it is so much easier.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nirocool said:

Very strange, I just find the same information at the official immigration site, here and official document here.  The last page update was done in 2016. Are these categories really gone?

For all intents and purposes it has been gone since at least 2008. They were refusing applications under many of the categories listed on it then.

Note it is dated for 2003.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

Go to Immigration and ask Dont put any faith is any comments made here

That's the best I have read today! 

Many experts (such as ubonjoe) that I would  take their advice over some random imm officer any day of the week.

There is and extensive running thread that covers PR with contributions from many that have successfully obtained PR

• Like 2

There are a few people who managed to get in on other categories in the past several years. But the cost of it was 50x higher than OP is listing. That's just the official fees. Don't neglect many times higher "other expenses". Of course anyone can apply. But in many cases the application just won't get accepted without a ... sponsor.

I have had PR twice in Thailand and lost it twice because I didn't return within the one-year period. 20 years ago I returned to Thailand to retire. I considered renewing it and I did not think it  worthwhile. The cost and the paperwork put me off . I have been on a retirement Visa for the last 20 years. I've never had a problem. In spite of what you read on this forum the requirements are exactly the same as they were 20 years ago, i.e. 800 K in the bank. This is very much less in terms of worth is what it is now , I have always considered the 90 day reporting a non-issue since anybody can do it for you and you don't even have to fill in a form. I have never felt any insecurity with the retirement Visa because I think Thailand realises just how much money retirees spend here and it goes into the local economy.

But I have to be honest I did in actual fact have one very big problem renewing my retirement extension in Chiang Mai about 18 years ago, the female captain in charge of the office asked me to take her out to dinner. In spite of her being very attractive, I thought it wiser to refuse. She retaliated by making  me wait six hours for my visa extension.

12 minutes ago, gamini said:

the requirements are exactly the same as they were 20 years ago, i.e. 800 K in the bank.

Not so long ago it was 800k for 3 months prior to application and that was it.

Now it's 2 months prior then 3 months after and never below 400k at other times.

I wouldn't call that a minor change.

Anyway the op was asking about PR

Edited by DrJack54

50 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Do you actually qualify for PR by meeting the work permit, tax and visa and other criteria? I have noticed that usually those downplaying the advantages of PR don't qualify for it. Anyway assuming that you do, I suggest you fire your agent for bull<deleted>ting you.Quite apart from the much higher cost, nobody in their right mind mind would prefer Thai Elite to Permanent Residence.

Fully qualify, not going to do it. My work permit extensions are reasonable enough for now. Can use retirement extension if I decide to stop working. No need for Elite. PR is just too much trouble for what it offers over the WP extension.

43 minutes ago, timendres said:

Fully qualify, not going to do it. My work permit extensions are reasonable enough for now. Can use retirement extension if I decide to stop working. No need for Elite. PR is just too much trouble for what it offers over the WP extension.

That's a completely reasonable point of view.

I agree you have no need for Elite.It only needs a look at their website for various red flags to go up, and the terms can be amended at any time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I have no idea why anyone would want PR here. I am quite happy with temporary, as that matches how I feel about Thailand. 

I have every idea why anyone would want PR here.

Not have to go through the extension circus every year.

Never knowing if you qualify or not.

• Like 2