Six-month-old baby dies in car accident

webfact

7 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Is it law in thailand that age or weight must be secured in a car seat?

if so, wouldn’t the driver be charged with reckless driving leading to death?

I know the answer to that...the authorities unable, cognitively challenged, or just not willing to hold individuals accountable for their behavior....biggest issue in thailand

so no one should wonder why thailand truly never advances as a society....no progress ever made...but at least they are wearing their masks for a threat not present yet don’t wear masks when northern air pollution levels above 200...make sense of that one...

It might be a good start to reduce the legal limit of window tinting, so people on the outside (cops), can see what people are hiding in their cars and whether or not they are talking on their cellphones.

And that means no window tinting on the front window except a narrow strip at the top.

People may reply that it is very hot in Thailand and dark tinting is essential. In the Northern Territory, Queensland and WA, the hottest states in Australia, and as hot as Thailand with as much daily sunshine, maximum tint is 15% - 20% on side and rear windows.  

120236113_windowtinting.jpg.4a4d5996c8f6f78b923444752718d826.jpg

12 hours ago, Trillian said:

Some dangerous things are instinctive, in this day and age in Thailand a motorcycle is not considered that dangerous by local people, it does take education to understand that, even amongst Westerners. And you presume the lady owned the motorbike, it's as likely as not that it was borrowed.

I spend some of my free time helping a charity organisation that supports young women and girls from impoverished backgrounds, you would be surprised the lengths that many will go in order to survive. Westerners see some elements of that in the sex industry but that's just scratching the surface of the problem. At the heart of the matter is poverty and education, for most of them high risk activities is a part of everyday survival and unless you've either been there yourself or seen it first hand, it's very hard to imagine the extent of the problem. 

I was watching some Burmese cut down trees near our offices and there was one young female worker who had two small children with her as she worked, they were perhaps 3 or 4 years old. She was busy sweeping up the leaves and picking up branches as large parts of trees were falling all around and the kids were running around nearby, just being kids. Was she stupid or did she have another choice? She probably earned 300 baht a day, had no other family nearby who could baby sit and no child care facilities or creche in which to deposit the kids whilst she was at work, what other options did she have, starve?

Labelling somebody as stupid is a cop out, it provides an easy simple answer and means the people don't think about the problem any more, oh well, she was stupid, end of story, it doesn't however solve the problem.

Many Westerners on this TV website ,probably a majority ,  have lived here for many years and , especially those that live in the villages , seen Thai women get on motorbikes with babies when there most certainly were other options . In many cases the mothers just do what they want to do , when they want to do it . I've seen them get on bikes many times on the spur of the moment , instead of waiting for someone to come home that could take care of the baby , or walking a short distance to the night market ( laziness ) etc ,etc . Your example of the Burmese lady is an exception  to the norm . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'm no sex tourist that has taken a casual glance at poverty as I've lived in SE Asia full time for 20 years. There is absolutely no excuse for a mother to carry a baby in one arm on a motorcycle, and it is up the police to stop these type of dangerous activities... Whether she borrows it from a friend, or owns it herself, if she is riding a motorcycle she's nowhere near the poverty level that gives her an excuse to endanger the life of her child. They can always find someone to take care of their babies if they need to go somewhere.

With my western hat on I agree with you. But like you I am not a tourist and you should know by now how uneducated people with low IQ behave. If you label someone as doing something stupid, you assume that they know it is stupid in the first place. These people are totally unable to understand the dangers they are facing, thats it in a nutshell.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bodga said:

yet owns a motorcycle,  funny thing this  poverty.

Driving a motorcycle doesn't automatically indicate ownership, it could easily be borrowed or shared.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:09 AM, mike787 said:

Senseless loss....If anyone wants to start a Gofund for the family, I'll chip in to save them.  I only need to know where to send some baht.  RIP.

What for....to buy a new car, or pay for the damaged lamp post?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, essox essox said:

might NOT own....probably on monthly payments....I see notices at bike shops.....with a very small downpayment....at first.....!!!

Go to the pawn shops and see how cheap you can get a bike for

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 6:05 AM, JensenZ said:

I would have liked to use a harsher adjective to describe these people. You don't even need an education to know it's very dangerous. The police should be more involved in stopping this kind of behaviour. It's hard to see a baby through tinted glass, but quite easy on a motorcycle.

Any mother that can afford a motorcycle is not at the level of poverty you describe and has options. There is absolutely no excuse to carry a baby in one arm on a motorcycle.

As we all know unlike Western countries and for whatever reason the police in Thailand apart from the odd checkpoint to check on insurance and helmets are not proactive in enforcing driving laws.

I have seen cars speeding past so called highway patrol police cars and no action is taken.

Regarding affording a motorcycle although not in all cases many pay them off per month for years and at a high rate of interest.

In the town where I live I know  the owners of a shop that sells motorcycles and they have confirmed that’s where the profit comes from

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

As we all know unlike Western countries and for whatever reason the police in Thailand apart from the odd checkpoint to check on insurance and helmets are not proactive in enforcing driving laws.

I have seen cars speeding past so called highway patrol police cars and no action is taken.

Regarding affording a motorcycle although not in all cases many pay them off per month for years and at a high rate of interest.

In the town where I live I know  the owners of a shop that sells motorcycles and they have confirmed that’s where the profit comes from

I'm aware of the financial situation regarding motorcycles, but they are not a necessity and lot of people get by without them. There is no excuse for killing babies due to this type of gross negligence. People were raising children long before automatic scooters became popular, giving mothers (and fathers) the ability to endanger the lives of their children while riding them.

If adults choose to endanger their lives by speeding, reckless driving, or not wearing helmets or seatbelts, it's their choice, but babies don't have a choice and there is a much higher responsibility involved.

Mama is too poor so she has to carry her baby in one arm, or she cannot afford an infant seat, are not valid excuses.

Edited by JensenZ

Here's what child car seats looked like when I was a kid. 

It took almost 20 years from the invention of the genuine child safety seat until the laws went into effect requiring them across the USA- around 1985.  And even today, we don't have full compliance.

Meaning the vast majority of the folks tuned in here have never sat in a child safety seat.  Our parents weren't idiots or irresponsible.  They just didn't know any better.  It took decades of government PSA's, laws, and billboards to convince even nanny state drivers to use safety seats, even after the laws were enacted.  We're so accustomed to seeing them, we don't even remember them.  The Thai government?  I don't recall EVER seeing a safety seat PSA or billboard in Thailand.

090618history-of-car-seats.jpg

Edited by impulse

On 6/1/2020 at 6:22 AM, Trillian said:

I was watching some Burmese cut down trees near our offices and there was one young female worker who had two small children with her as she worked, they were perhaps 3 or 4 years old. She was busy sweeping up the leaves and picking up branches as large parts of trees were falling all around and the kids were running around nearby, just being kids. Was she stupid or did she have another choice? She probably earned 300 baht a day, had no other family nearby who could baby sit and no child care facilities or creche in which to deposit the kids whilst she was at work, what other options did she have, starve?

the simple answer:she was stupid!

once mistake, twice fool.

if young, and in poverty, you should not have kids just yet. 

on top, in another country, not your own. 

sob, sob. cant put all responsibility on the society, if the individual acts irresponsible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tingtong said:

the simple answer:she was stupid!

once mistake, twice fool.

if young, and in poverty, you should not have kids just yet. 

on top, in another country, not your own. 

sob, sob. cant put all responsibility on the society, if the individual acts irresponsible.

So, what you're saying is that poor people shouldn't reproduce?

I'm pretty sure we've heard that before.