BANGKOK
webfact

2 children driving motorbike killed at ‘closed’ Pattaya U-turn

Can never understand why Thai parents hate their kids so much that they do nothing to keep them safe.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Brutal...   Are the Police not also complicit in their ineffectiveness when ignoring this issue?. 

Charting teens illegally riding motorcycles are not a profitable, neither is charging their parents - the near sighted fundamental issue in all of this is a police force which doesn’t care about the law.

Education (of road dangers) is an important facet, but the poorly educated don’t care, the police don’t care. 

Ultimately, those in positions of decision making power don’t care, it doesn’t impact them. 

Heart breaking to see kids die, I’m not sure if those not directly heartbroken by each individual death see it that way or even consider the issue for very long at all. 

Took me a while to work out what "charting" meant.

Trying to impose some sort of western mentality on Thais is like Canute thinking he could stop the tide rising. I don't know too much about Thainess, but I do know that they don't give a monkey's about farangs complaining about them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's Thainess, and I doubt I could explain Thainess in a post on TVF to your satisfaction. After many years we can understand that it's the way it is, but that doesn't mean we understand the psychology of it.

Fair enough. It seems as though everything here is done according to tradition and precedent, that's the way we've always done things in the past so families teach their children based on what they understand and see, not according to what any law may say. So without any mechanism to evoke change, even if the population was willing to take change on board, and without any meaningful form of enforcement in place, people in Thailand will still be doing things exactly the same way, twenty/fifty years from now. I suppose as Thailand becomes more wealthy and people begin to travel and see how things are done elsewhere, these things will change over time, but far too slowly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sadly, this is normal here.  This senseless loss will NOT ever stop. 

Edited by mike787
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, smedly said:

Grace of the all powerful amulet 

I wonder how many die on Thai roads wearing one - a statistic that is ignored

RIP

Let's talk about winners, forget the losers!

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

what isnt really mentioned is any reference by any local authority about 'tragedy' or 'we tried to block the turn' or 'far underage' or 'we failed at our jobs' or 'we feel for the families' or 'a problem';

rather the whole thing is mai pen rai

Oh, maybe the officials should have been telling the parents that they are ignorant ar5es, because that would have been right.

What do you think the government and the officials should do about irresponsible parents?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Brutal...   Are the Police not also complicit in their ineffectiveness when ignoring this issue?. 

Charting teens illegally riding motorcycles are not a profitable, neither is charging their parents - the near sighted fundamental issue in all of this is a police force which doesn’t care about the law.

Education (of road dangers) is an important facet, but the poorly educated don’t care, the police don’t care. 

Ultimately, those in positions of decision making power don’t care, it doesn’t impact them. 

Heart breaking to see kids die, I’m not sure if those not directly heartbroken by each individual death see it that way or even consider the issue for very long at all. 

Well you could argue that the police ( or authorities ) have identified this 'U' turn as a 'hot spot' for accidents and closed off the 'U' turn.

As another poster mentions it's pretty well blocked off as well, so they have ( kind of ) done their bit.

Most normal people ( not thai's i guess ) would see the blocked off 'U' turn and maybe put 2 + 2 together and think "hold on, this might be closed for a reason".

Most Thai's here consider themselves smart ars3s here on their scooters ( until they're not ).

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Why on earth do Thais let children ride motorcycles on bloody public roads.  Seriously.

because they have micro brains

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sadly true, lots of tears after the event, but still let the children go out and play on a motorbike.

Anything for a quiet life

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"The city had put in barriers, which motorbike drivers simply moved. The city then vowed to come back and put heavier concrete blockades, but apparently those didn’t work either, as the teenagers were on a motorbike making an illegal turn when their Honda Wave was struck by a Bangkok-registered Honda Civic."

Like most places. They put up barriers and the people ignore them because they aren't convenient or because they believe they have the "right" to ignore them or that they are above such things.

Note that the driver didn't flee the scene but stayed and waited for the police. Not everyone flouts the law.

In the other recent thread about this very same U-Turn, it was mentioned that it had been blocked off since January. That was a bit of a surprise to me as I'd used that very same U-Turn twice in early April to get to Makro and there were no barricades anywhere, period. Not even "moved out of the way". Simply none whatsoever.
(I think they put them back in when they "locked down" Pattaya a couple weeks later.)

I went there very early in the morning (6am) as I wanted to be there when the store opened. Even then, I had to wait at that U-Turn both times as the traffic was flying past and there was enough of it that you couldn't safely cross without having to wait for a decent break in the traffic.

I've mentioned before about how they closed the U-Turn that used to be just down from Soi 5 in Jomtien (where the Immigration Office is). That used to be an accident hot spot as well with all the cars on the "northbound" (or beachside) of Jomtien #2 road flying along at top speed because there were no stops of any kind for almost 2 kilometres (between the Boonkanchana and Thappraya intersections), while scads of people were trying to U-Turn and cut across to Soi 5.

At first they did the same thing. Put a few concrete barriers in which stopped the cars but not the motos. Then they added some more, which meant the motos had to jump the divider to get around them. Then they finally redid the whole thing so there was no open space left at all.
(Of course that also means you have to go about 1 1/2 kilometres down the road to get to the next intersection before you can legally U-turn and come back.)

2012                                                              2016                                                        April 2017                                                               Sept 2017
2012.jpg.3afd1626274512a6b083b7ffbe382e84.jpg  2016.jpg.6d2ff4217af7e8d41e51f26f2b1aa383.jpg  1644482411_April2017.jpg.7241d744888f301fc1c7348278e9e11f.jpg  1568273186_Sept2017.jpg.70a98ce8db1223509b29723aaf71f502.jpg

Jan 2019

90800976_Jan2019.jpg.70c31114aabc2ace2a0a8e0ebbd88d78.jpg

Interesting that in the 5 images Google took, 3 of them show people making illegal turns at one blocked off (former) U-turn site.

It just goes to show, if you are going to block off a U-Turn, do it right the first time or it will continue to be a problem for years to come.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1