BANGKOK
webfact

2 children driving motorbike killed at ‘closed’ Pattaya U-turn

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I went past there Saturday morning and noted it was well blocked, to get around it one would have to mount the kerb or use the next one (against the flow of traffic) as many scooters were doing.

Circled is blocked, other one is not.

makro.jpg.70c0f470a4bb44d50ef6bf7d6445e4a7.jpg

That's interesting as the circled one has been closed for some time. I thought they had also closed the other one as well as per the comment in this thread -

I stopped using that U turn near Makro years ago. Even in a car it was far too dangerous.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

they are wired differently. 

Exactly. Farangs can't understand that when they say they should be like "us".

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I went past there Saturday morning and noted it was well blocked, to get around it one would have to mount the kerb or use the next one (against the flow of traffic) as many scooters were doing.

Circled is blocked, other one is not.

makro.jpg.70c0f470a4bb44d50ef6bf7d6445e4a7.jpg

As noted in the picture above, one U-turn lane is blocked, the other is not. I regularly see people going the wrong way on the unblocked lane, thus potentially resulting in an accident, which is what seems to have happened here. Before they built these 2 U-turns in a ridiculous spot, there were 2 U-turn lanes a little bit further south on Sukhumvit. They were perfectly fine. Once they closed these and built new ones across from Makro the problem became obvious as many people took those U-turn lanes to go to Makro. Far too close and not enough distance for a u turn and to move to the left to go into the Makro parking lot. I wonder who got paid the commission for suggesting the new lanes? Not enough forward thinking done here and the death of these 2 boys is the proof of this.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Wait till the schools start back , 2 or 3 up , nobody older than 10 .

This is what I don't get . 

Somebody else stated before , Covid 19 has killed 57 people and the police are everywhere , closing beaches 

monitoring roads in and out of places , road checks here there and everywhere.

Yet they can't control under age , no license , no insurance , no helmet wearing kids on motor bikes.

Pathetic.

The fault lies in whomever controls the cops. They told the cops to close the beaches, they didn't ( IMO ) tell the cops to stop the road toll. Perhaps because they know it's not possible without a lot more expense.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The fault lies in whomever controls the cops. They told the cops to close the beaches, they didn't ( IMO ) tell the cops to stop the road toll. Perhaps because they know it's not possible without a lot more expense.

Money over lives saved........

• Like 2

If it was supposed to be blocked off why is the sign still there?

However, after giving it some thought the question is irrelevant as no one takes any notice of signs anyway.

• Like 1

Relevant Pattaya officials should have considered being charged with negligent homicide unless they can show it was impossible to prevent illegal use of the subject U-turn.

I think the barricades, in and of themselves, are the best indicator that U-turns are a bad idea there. 

Once again, natural selection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

supposedly closed Sukhumvit Road U-turn

Coming from Thepprasit road - the U-turn towards Makro is indeed closed. (Since several weeks)
This accident actually happened on the OTHER side of the road. 
If these kids used their eyes and brain - this accident would have been avoided.
If the parents had not allowed them to drive a motorbike without license and helmet - their deaths would have been avoided too.
Karma is a bitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  the ‘U-Turn’ seems to be blamed, then the choice of the kids to use an illegal U-Turn. 

That the poor road design is so flawed in the first place is a lethal facet it one of many of the cause of deaths on Thailands roads, that the poor road design has been recognised as a lethal issue and not effectively fixed is a further issue, however, the ultimate facet is a society which accepts that kids can ride bikes because they are uneducated, un-policed and ultimately uncared for by the big guns. 

Your right still even if all is good Thais will still go against traffic on motorbikes so they don't have to drive too far. I see it near where I live. There is a U turn about 500 meters further up but many motorbikes still go against traffic on the U turn that is closer by. So you can have a perfect road and still lazy / inpatient people breaking the law. The police does check but not that often. 

• Like 1