BANGKOK
webfact

2 children driving motorbike killed at ‘closed’ Pattaya U-turn

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

dude, roundabouts only work if drivers..........follow the rules.

thus would exchange utter chaos for a different utter chaos.

For sure,when it suits them, they even take the roundabout from the wrong side.

Get to know me the Thai people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

it is about time THEY re thought all these stupid U TURNS and implemented MINI ROUNDABOUTS !!!

I am guessing you are being ironic... maxi or mini, they have proven unworkable here. 

Derogatory Thai generalization has been removed.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Agree entirely and with Richard above who states the police here have blood on their hands.  How did RTP get the R in their name?  They are the single most culpable reason why Thailand is a failed state; oh and the Government AKA the army.

It is not the ordinary police themselves, they just do as they are told, their bosses, that's the Generals with the fancy ranks who pose in their nice uniforms with all the bling on them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  the ‘U-Turn’ seems to be blamed, then the choice of the kids to use an illegal U-Turn. 

That the poor road design is so flawed in the first place is a lethal facet it one of many of the cause of deaths on Thailands roads, that the poor road design has been recognised as a lethal issue and not effectively fixed is a further issue, however, the ultimate facet is a society which accepts that kids can ride bikes because they are uneducated, un-policed and ultimately uncared for by the big guns. 

Yes the stupid u-turn system needs to go.

I can see there being merit for u-turns on highways in remote rural areas with little traffic, but elsewhere, they should either be controlled by traffic lights (can be the 20 second types they use for pedestrian crossings), which wouldn't hold up traffic at all, or new intersections are built/u-turns are moved to underpasses, underneath bridges. The latter process has been happening over the years, but it's too slow. New roads continue to have u-turn bays added, with no distinction being made with high-traffic city areas or rural country roads.

It would also help there were more roads in the first place, especially secondary roads. The soi system is ridiculous - why aren't these sois connected with each other in order to provide a viable alternative to the main road? No wonder traffic is so clogged.

Now, granted, there are some towns in Thailand which are reasonably well designed, with a sufficient number of secondary roads and lots of new road construction. Ubon Ratchathani and Mae Sot come to mind.

However, Bangkok and Pattaya are just about the worst designed cities in the world. Road surface area is far too low, considering the amount of traffic that uses them. They've had decades to improve, but precious little has been done. Bangkok for instance, seems to build a new road at the rate of about one road every 5 years.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Kids with no drivers licence,  no education about road laws and safety,  high speed bikes, most probably no helmets also...

Now the parents cry in pain and despair... but they should be held accountable for causing the death of their children 

Agreed, the parents are happy to see 14 or even 10 year olds  go out to give them piece and then want  sympathy when the inevitable happens, my tears would go to the driver.

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Paiman said:

If there is no money to be made, there will not be any actions by government or the officials. 

Unfortunately, I must give that one to you. I call it a failure for humanity as a race.

Edited by Matzzon

a new TAT slogan maybe..?

“Trusted Thailand, safety last” 🤐

8 hours ago, uli65 said:

because they have micro brains

And you are much smarter, of course. If you are so smart, you must be able to diverse and be flexible. Like understanding that one or ten persons mistakes does not stand as a poster for the citizens of the country. With the comment you made, I actually expected more of you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benmart said:

Ignorance. Lack of mobile police. Corruption. Apathy. Government inaction. Etc.

This and more. They know Thais cannot afford fines because of the amount of poor here, so they let them get away with speeding, no helmets, cutting people off, driving the wrong way, following too close and more. If they gave them small fines, they will learn, and the road department could have more money to fix the bad roads. Punishment fits the crime. If Thais know they are being watched when they drive, along with making the road and paper tests more difficult, less will die. If you drive recklessly and cause an accident, you lose your license. If someone dies and it's proven your fault from recklessness or drinking, just like the states, you lose your license,are fined and may be jailed. You don't learn if they let you do whatever you want, and this country will always be either number two or right in the top five in traffic deaths. I lived in Texas, and when I moved there in 1985 from New Jersey, people were still allowed to drink and drive. It wasn't until 2001 that they changed the law, and the deaths and hurt people nosedived after that. Everyday I see here families on scooters, 3,4 and 5 , all without helmets, some holding a newborn. You do that in New Jersey you lose more than your license. You have to be 16, have a motorcycle or class E  license and wear a helmet. The police here need to do more than check for drugs and drinking at stops. Children under 15 have no business on a scooter. Driving around the village is one thing, although most accidents are usually close to home, but driving out of the village and into town should be stopped. If they know a fine is coming, they will learn, and if the parents are held responsible for children breaking the driving laws, they will learn too. The best way to teach someone a lesson is their wallet.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Brutal...   Are the Police not also complicit in their ineffectiveness when ignoring this issue?. 

Charting teens illegally riding motorcycles are not a profitable, neither is charging their parents - the near sighted fundamental issue in all of this is a police force which doesn’t care about the law.

Education (of road dangers) is an important facet, but the poorly educated don’t care, the police don’t care. 

Ultimately, those in positions of decision making power don’t care, it doesn’t impact them. 

Heart breaking to see kids die, I’m not sure if those not directly heartbroken by each individual death see it that way or even consider the issue for very long at all. 

Eighteen years ago when living in Chiang Mai, my wife said she wanted to learn to drive.  Knowing the "system" I insisted that she took driving lessons and passed her test properly.  This she did and it took about two months of twice weekly lessons.  All of this caused a lot of head scratching and amusement from her family and was put down to the crazy farang husband.  Her uncle (a senior policeman) actually seemed quite annoyed by it, as he felt that they were above such things.

Everyone in my wife's family including nieces and nephews, sisters and aunts and uncles drive (except for my wife's mother) and according to my wife she is the only one who took the test! 

8 hours ago, essox essox said:

suppose your right.....I was trying to make the point that in my opinion U turns are not the best things on roads.....there are many mini roundabouts in Uk and they help to keep the traffic flowing....

U turns are highly dangerous and are the scene of many accidents in Thailand . So what you have is an important manoeuvre being carried out by an unskilled rider who is devoid of any riding/driving education , pulling out into the fast lane of oncoming traffic with  vehicles being driven by other drivers of low driving skills . its a recipe for disaster .  Roundabouts would be a better option but can cause traffic jams and also confusion to the Thai drivers . Fly overs are the safest bet but expensive . BTW have you seen where the motor cyclists make their own wooden bridges between two highways that are separated by a wide ditch ?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what isnt really mentioned is any reference by any local authority about 'tragedy' or 'we tried to block the turn' or 'far underage' or 'we failed at our jobs' or 'we feel for the families' or 'a problem';

rather the whole thing is mai pen rai

They did block the U-Turn...the one leading to Makro The problem is people using the U-Turn from North to South, to go North. In other words, driving the wrong way on a One Way road.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The unidentified kids, age 14, died at the U-turn outside the Makro warehouse store May 30

How did the police know they were only 14 if they were unidentified?    😲

I regularly see kids without helmets driving motorbikes either arriving or departing my daughters school, its so obvious they are too young to have a driving licence or any real knowledge or experience of driving. How are their parents providing a motorbike for them knowing full well its illegal for their children to drive it on the road? Why are the school allowing these youngsters to drive onto school property?....What happens when these kids cause an accident & the other party is injured/dead or at the very least there vehicle is damaged? The closed Sukhumvit U turn Pattaya accident is tragic but i do find it very difficult to have much sympathy for the childrens parents