BANGKOK
webfact

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says

Interesting I guess.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The new coronavirus is losing its potency

In this case impotency is a good thing.

• Haha 1

On the understanding that this is a true medical effect, it's very encouraging. One could assume from these practising doctors that this virus is a 'perfect replicator', and unlike the imperfect HIV virus, less likely to mutate into a more deadly strain.

Which means while a 2nd phase is likely with global lockdowns being eased, the number of subsequent deaths would be lower than at present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

On the understanding that this is a true medical effect, it's very encouraging. One could assume from these practising doctors that this virus is a 'perfect replicator', and unlike the imperfect HIV virus, less likely to mutate into a more deadly strain.

Which means while a 2nd phase is likely with global lockdowns being eased, the number of subsequent deaths would be lower than at present.

Certainly caution here is the best approach. This is an encouraging assessment, but not proven science yet. I think all viruses mutate. Anything that multiplies rapidly (Like cancer sadly) copies often and thus mutates often. Most mutations are harmless. In the case of a virus a mutation can make it more, or less harmful. I did read a scientific paper which argued that in cases where the virus is highly toxic, it is more likely to become less so than more so. I guess that the highly toxic forms may tend to be less stable.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Interesting I guess.

It's not clear from the article whether it is the virus itself becoming weaker or the epidemic is weakening. If it is the former, this is very good news indeed.

So what,s all this we now read about the Italian deaths being caused by a blood clotting and easily treatable bacteria, and not by the elusive Corona virus, or is this entire scenario just a continuous stream of fake news right from the beginning ?

• Sad 1