Night of violence across America leaves streets scarred, outrage simmering

webfact

54 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I think someone needs to bone up on Federalism in the USA instead of blindly posting nonsense.

Nothing would please me more, Max, than to see America lead from the front internationally, but I don't even see good national leadership since the outbreak of Covit19 and now these race riots, Trump is just not equipped  to deal with anything on an international level, he's struggling nationally. China and Russia must just love this guy! Even looking at the alternative, Joe Biden, America is looking weak and disorganised right now

Edited by PatOngo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Are these black people incarcerated for no reason, or are you saying that black people commit 6x the crime that white people do? Sounds like we are getting close to the "nature or nurture" argument that is probably illegal these days. 

I belong to a Facebook political group for Black people. They blame Joe Biden much more for Blacks incarcerated than they do Trump. Trump signed a prison reform Bill they liked, and they're really not too keen on Biden's refusal to make weed legal at the federal level.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Systematic equality exists all over the world, and has done since the dawn of time.

It boils over in anger, violence and committing of crimes as the pressure builds up. It will, usually, result in oppression to re-establish what is known as order; or occasionally, in revolution which claims to bring change but soon re-establishes inequality.

Add to that a now entitlement that's been fostered in many African-Americans, and the US has a potent fuel to add to the cycle. 

This is what happens when politicians tinker with social engineering, trying to push the lid down on problems with small appeasements rather than tackling the actual issues. It's not politically correct to recognize the real issues and deal with them realistically. Better to pretend - until it all blows up again.

Yes, I recall the Patricians of Rome trying to keep power, they would only grant as little power improvements to the Plebians in order to appease for the near term. Of course, being an optimist, I had hoped that the hope and promise of an American nation was to create that society for the benefit of the vast majority of its citizenry. Especially with the current income/wealth differentiation it is difficult for me to be optimistic. We seem to be moving further away from the ideals and more toward the oligarchy rule. Having read some of your past posts, we may well have different ideas on "social engineering" or a "sense of entitlement".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

They become more like the people they encounter and work with. Prison guards also get this. It becomes easy to tase the guy who just threw semen in your face.

The only prison guard I’ve known was female and loved it ( being a guard I mean ). She enjoyed antagonizing the inmates so much she was sacked. A very difficult procedure in a federal prison system. Curiously she was previously a school teacher. Nasty and insidious bit of work without doubt. 
Judging from your posts you live in a hell hole as well. I’m almost sympathetic, or maybe it’s just you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pegman said:

The poorest states in the USA are GOP controlled. 

Those states aren't rioting, including those with large minority populations. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

This is what Americans don't understand. If everyone is armed - good guys and bad guys both, everyone is trigger-happy. Any policeman approaching a vehicle could be shot without warning.

Contrast that to Australia, where mere possession of an unlicensed firearm can get you serious jail time.

I once knew an American who had been a policeman in Los Angeles. Any loud noise freaked him out, and when dining out in a restaurant with us he had to sit with his back to a wall facing the entry door.

I do wonder how many Americans have mental health issues that are directly derived from the Second Amendment.

https://www.geenstijl.nl/5153713/zo-kan-het-ook/  Sorry in Dutch..

Police in our country stopped a Smart car ( = for 2 persons only), because they thought to see a third "head" in that tiny car. So, "with heavy machine guns, mortars&artillery etc" they stopped the car ( switched off the light "stop police", enough here) and looked into it. The third "head" was a plant cut in the form of a "ball on a stick". All laughing, police posted it on their blog... ( also seen "corona" measurements, there must be social distancing, or only persons from one household. Might be the second reason to stop them for a quastion.) 

I am happy in NL we do NOT have such an Amendment... Here in NL, when a police officer draws his/her gun,... it comes on TV, in newspapers etc..

More like that Sherriff, who joined the crew in the protest march. Or was it for his re-election... ? 

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

A lot of blacks are in prison for minor drug offences. That's why the reefer laws were enacted in the first place. To imprison young black men and make slavery great again.

"If a white man wants to lynch me, that's his problem. If he's got the power to lynch me, that's my problem. Racism is not a question of attitude; it's a question of power." Stokely Carmichael.

And when you cannot affort a lawyer, you get a minor, who has just 10 minutes to defend you.

Not a professional evaluation, but.. 12 (white ?) amateurs, who decide you are guilty or not...

Bye-the-way: I will not be astonished when many here do not know the meaning in "lynch", but think meant is "lunch". 

Edited by puipuitom
  • Sad 1

Reports of lights out at the White House and multiple fires in the area with phones jammed and livestreams cut. Guess MAGA night didn't turn out that well. 

No tweets from Trump almost 24 hours.

The White House, dark.

Trump's advisers, panicked.

A dozen reporters working stories about the West Wing crisis mode.

Edited by jimmyswale
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Police do not come from the Moon, they come from you and me, and as such they are subjects  the same perceptual constructs that influence reactions.   There is  screening  to adjust for that, but it is inevitable that sooner or later such screening will fail and an unsuitable individual  will become a cop. or that a good cope will make a dad decision,  or crack under the strain.

IMO these riots have not served to change perceptions for the better. Peaceful protest would have brought the required justice and improve relations. 

Politicians and community organizers hold their fair share of blame over this also.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1