Night of violence across America leaves streets scarred, outrage simmering

webfact

44 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Police do not come from the Moon, they come from you and me, and as such they are subjects  the same perceptual constructs that influence reactions.   There is  screening  to adjust for that, but it is inevitable that sooner or later such screening will fail and an unsuitable individual  will become a cop. or that a good cope will make a dad decision,  or crack under the strain.

IMO these riots have not served to change perceptions for the better. Peaceful protest would have brought the required justice and improve relations. 

Politicians and community organizers hold their fair share of blame over this also. 

I think a huge part of the problem is that good cops have traits very similar to good thugs. It's true. So how do you screen and get good cops and not have them act like criminal thugs on occasion? Difficult challenge. The best we can do is vigorously prosecute when they step out of line.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps because she was the only white Australian murdered by a US cops in a long time. 

Not so Black American victims of police murders. 

Have any numbers on officers killed by blacks in the past decade? It's more than a few. I did a short Google search and it seems that 135 officers killed last year. 1,627 in the past decade. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

That should've been treated as a hate crime, they were calling every homosexual slur in the book while they assaulted him, he's a gay man. But those types of rules dont apply to the perpetual victims. 

Edited by Starmocihc

31 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

I think a huge part of the problem is that good cops have traits very similar to good thugs. It's true. So how do you screen and get good cops and not have them act like criminal thugs on occasion? Difficult challenge. The best we can do is vigorously prosecute when they step out of line.

So if  for the moment it were to be accepted  that good  cops have similar traits  to  good thugs as a truth then  that would need to acknowledge the  same truth  that if screening as a prerequisite to  get  good cops  is done  by  thug  cops who are already in the system and controlling it then what is being witnessed  is  the horrible revelation  of  that.

I think the same  failure  has  occurred with  the current  Potus.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Funny enough I just saw a new Nike ad after that post supporting the "protestors". I am buying some NKE stock now. Nike is going to make a killing off of helping the black community justify this mayhem. They be woke.

The result of a peaceful protest turning into loot fest in the state of Washington

https://www.khq.com/top_video/watch-nike-store-looted-in-downtown-spokane/video_8cfc8980-a3c3-11ea-a925-6b8b9c0c2f9c.html

KHQ Q6, NBC affiliate 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

But I thought it was the government and the government alone that protects us from things like global warming, the virus, income inequality and evil corporations???? 

Someone's gonna have a lot of 'splaing to do if there isn't a huge spike in CV 19 cases in the next week or so.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The 'Black Lives Matter' campaign was peaceful protest and while it did achieve a change in police recordings to include the race of people the police killed (previously not recorded), it achieved little else, and I remind you was frequently met with hostility from the rightwing. 

Regardless of where the police come from, they are agents of the state, they wield state powers and their abuse of those powers is not simply individual officers, it is systematic. 

The race of people who overwhelmingly suffer police abuse react violently - the only surprise is they don't react violently more often. 

If you have a problem with that, have a chat with a gun rights activist and get them to explain the argument for owning guns as a protection against an abusive Government. 

Obviously there will be more incidence where crime is higher. A lot of progress has being achieved in the US and in the world without looting, why is it necessary now? 

39 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

I understand what you are saying, It takes a particular personality to be  a cop and consequently you would have a higher percentage of aggressive personalities. An Important thing to do is to prosecute those who step over the line, but it is not the best we can do, we can do better. We can train better, and supervise better. but there is also the other side of the equation. 

The community could take more responsibility for it's self and  self police, it could make a certain kind of behavior unexceptionable. People take their cues from the ones around them.In the police force and in the community.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samran said:

Yes it is clear that rebellion against oppressive government is only allowed if you are wearing a MAGA hat and waving your constitutionally allowed weapons. 

Now tell me, when this happens, what will be the difference? Presumably those said weapons will be causing a bit of death and destruction - or will it somehow be different and they will just be there for show?

Should these people be instead waving around and shooting their weapons? Will that make it better if they used the 2A‘ers playbook? 

The right and some others,  just recently had a protest on a lock down ,its financially ruining them! Some on the right were  carrying firearms (legal to carry in that state) The result...

Recently ,my country just experienced watching a sick serial abuser stuff out the life of a man while his fellow officers helped.

Subsequently, many protests took place around the country and you know the rest! 

Whats the difference between the two! The difference was looting ,mayhem,destruction of property, assaults ,resulting in arrests and many many injuries. I don't even know if people died as a result of these riots.

Have you ever heard of martin luther king! He was against violence and rioting to achieve recognition of injustices 

Edited by riclag

S state of affairs all round, and at the wrong time. US cops do tend to be OTT (product of environment I guess) and that guy was out of order, but a certain element just need the excuse to riot. The black-on-black deaths and cops killing whites are also rarely mentioned. One thing's for sure, China will be be welcoming this.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If cops would do their job without unnecessary violence and if they would do it independent of the skin color that would help a lot. They choose to be cops and uphold the laws. They should do it themselves - or look for another job.

Simple answer. Recruit people that prefer to work like you want. However, I think that sort of person is unlikely to want to do a job where they can be killed merely for wearing a police uniform.

What is likely, IMO, if the current attitude towards the cops continues, the police union will call the cops out on strike so all those that don't like cops can see what happens when they are not doing their job. Those complaining will soon find they have made a "mistake".

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

The community could take more responsibility for it's self and  self police, it could make a certain kind of behavior unexceptionable.

Jokin' right?

People now are too scared to do anything because if they do they might be charged with a crime themselves, and in any case, IMO, people are so obsessed with their phone they don't care much about what happens around them.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything because the bad guys are bigger, stronger and more aggressive than myself, and I don't want to be beaten up for getting involved.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

S state of affairs all round, and at the wrong time. US cops do tend to be OTT (product of environment I guess) and that guy was out of order, but a certain element just need the excuse to riot. The black-on-black deaths and cops killing whites are also rarely mentioned. One thing's for sure, China will be be welcoming this.

and the shift from Eurasia to Eastasia has been seamlessly accomplished.

Edited by Slip
seamlessly
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

President Trump just made a national speech. He promised he would do what it takes, US military and all to get the unlawfulness stopped. The rule of law seemed to me the primary focus of his speech. He is going to be accused of taking dictatorial action. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes, IMHO.

You should read up what the ‘rule of law’ has to say about deploying the Military against US citizens.

Trump will do nothing other than play hide and tweet.