The beach is open!

bkk6060

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Is this Ao Nang beach?

Is it possible to get to Railey and visit the islands down there?

Are the hotels open?

Thx

No it,s Pattaya beach....are the hotels open...in Pattaya YES....Krabi don,t know :whistling:

Geez, sorry I guess it was in the Krabi forum?

Yes, it is Pattaya Beach.

Had a nice swim for about 45 minutes.  Water was warm and clean where I swam, no boats and obviously no crowds.  No smell but that of salt water.

The length now in some areas is 10 to 15 times what is was before.  They did a nice job 

increasing the amount of sand.

If a person is a hater and does not like it now, I guess they never will.  I think it is much improved from what is was a couple of years ago.  I guess we will see what happens if and when the crowds come back.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

All the signs saying the beach is closed were still up when I went down Beach Road just after noon. No deckchairs or brollies. There was just a handful of folk on the beach and a couple in the sea, one of whom could have been our OP?

33 minutes ago, champers said:

All the signs saying the beach is closed were still up when I went down Beach Road just after noon. No deckchairs or brollies. There was just a handful of folk on the beach and a couple in the sea, one of whom could have been our OP?

Ha. I was there in the morning.

The tape to stop people from encroaching is gone.  You are right though, some of the signs are still there just not removed yet but the beach is open.

I did just walk it.  Some people on the beach, but not many.

And, not many swimming except a few Thai families.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha. I was there in the morning.

The tape to stop people from encroaching is gone.  You are right though, some of the signs are still there just not removed yet but the beach is open.

I did just walk it.  Some people on the beach, but not many.

And, not many swimming except a few Thai families.

I presumed you had a swim 'cos you said so, for 45 minutes, in your OP.

24 minutes ago, champers said:

I presumed you ad a swim 'cos you said so, for 45 minutes, in your OP.

Yeah.

I reported about the beach being open and yes, I swam in the morning.

Very nice clean warm ocean water.

Then I walked it in the afternoon. Very nice day.

Your point is?

Edited by bkk6060

13 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Does this mean I can drink alcohol with my dinner?

No, and too dangerous to go to school also. Both my kids are off for tattoos tomorrow though as that is allowed, as is body piercing. (we are saving that for the weekend)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

It was announced that the beach would be open today but no beach chairs or food vendors. They will follow over the next few days. A bit of a phased opening.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Is this Ao Nang beach?

Is it possible to get to Railey and visit the islands down there?

Are the hotels open?

Thx

nope, same as before, maybe next week,  I heard hotel manager in Kho Lanta looking forward re-starting on June 21st

13 hours ago, Traubert said:

Does this mean I can drink alcohol with my dinner?

Depends where you are having it. At home, at a restaurant or on the beach.  The beach is the topic under discussion, but pretty sure getting together to drink  alcohol won't be permitted, nor in restaurants.

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Depends where you are having it. At home, at a restaurant or on the beach.  The beach is the topic under discussion, but pretty sure getting together to drink  alcohol won't be permitted, nor in restaurants.

July 1st for restaurants. Many restaurants didn't reopen as they can't serve alcohol, it invalidates their business model. All plan to open on or around July 1st.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

July 1st for restaurants. Many restaurants didn't reopen as they can't serve alcohol, it invalidates their business model. All plan to open on or around July 1st.

I was in a place recently eating and allowed some beer, pleasant. I wonder if many City places can even open without large  numbers of tourists to support them. I think particularly of the 'over the sea' restaurants on Walking Street, surely domestic tourists will balk at their prices and Shenanigans.

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was in a place recently eating and allowed some beer, pleasant. I wonder if many City places can even open without large  numbers of tourists to support them. I think particularly of the 'over the sea' restaurants on Walking Street, surely domestic tourists will balk at their prices and Shenanigans.

The 2 restaurants that I'm particularly familiar with are Tropical on Khao Noi and Cafe des Amis.

Tropical should be OK as the majority of customers are expats and very loyal. Not sure about Cafe des Amis, very mixed clientele. Expats, Bangkok weekenders, Chinese visitors and ferang tourists. They have had to reduce the seating capacity due to social distancing but I still think that they will struggle to fill the place, which they need to do to make a decent profit. This kind of business is the most at threat of permanent closure.

Harland Gobs**tes restaurant has reopened but only a trickle of customers and wine was a big part of his profit margins.

Edited by Phil McCaverty