US SS form 7162

Do we know what is going to happen this year with SS form 7162?  If the SSA mails it to us, it may arrive late or not at all in Thailand.  And it seems that we won't be able to mail it back via Thai Post in the near future.  On the other hand, is there any reason that we cannot just download the form now from the ssa.gov website and send it back via DHL?  Would like to avoid headaches as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1
9 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Just checked the SSA web site to get the SSA 7162 or see if it had changed from the one I downloaded a couple of years ago and no longer available for download. But search on google will give you sites where you can download.ssa7162ocrsm.pdf

Thanks you for that, is the form you posted the latest version and will SSA accept a printed copy rather than the orginal they send?

On 6/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, ubonjoe said:

Mail seems to be taking a while to get here. I plan on waiting until mid July for it.

The office in Manila has said you can email the form to them if you cannot mail it back. 

If no form by July I will download one, complete it an email it to them.

Just out of curiosity, when did you contact Manila?  As a global mod you'd be in a great position to obtain any info SSA Manila is willing to share for the benefit of expats in Thailand as you could pin the information -  this may be an interesting year for dealing with bureaucracies <SSA, USPS, Thai Post Office, etc>. 

Regarding this:
"The office in Manila has said you can email the form to them if you cannot mail it back. ",
what do they mean if 'you cannot mail it back?"  Is first class mail not being sent from Thailand to the US? 

This may be a good start of a thread for those expecting the yearly "Are you still alive" 7162 form from SSA.  Personally I'll post when my form shows up (if it shows up).  Hopefully we can all help each other with info updates this year.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, connda said:

Just out of curiosity, when did you contact Manila? 

I received an email from a friend who got info about it.

31 minutes ago, connda said:

Is first class mail not being sent from Thailand to the US? 

Until recently only surface mail (ship) could be sent. Just checked on the Thai post site and found info that was updated on June 2nd that shows EMS parcel post by air is possible. See page 2 here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

I assume by July there might be more options.

• Like 2

from google:

The form is mailed after May 15th and a follow-up letter is mailed after September 15th. If the completed form is not received in Wilkes-Barre, PA by the end of the year, benefits are suspended beginning with the February payment of the following year.

To avoid the suspension of your benefits, complete the form as soon as you receive it, and mail it back to Wilkes-Barre, PA using the enclosed business reply envelope. Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

IMPORTANT: If you do not receive the form by NOVEMBER, contact SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in U.S. Embassy in Manila right away.

• Like 1
On 6/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, ubonjoe said:

Mail seems to be taking a while to get here. I plan on waiting until mid July for it.

The office in Manila has said you can email the form to them if you cannot mail it back. 

If no form by July I will download one, complete it an email it to them.

The forum has to be signed. Is Manila accepting a pdf format?

15 hours ago, Trillian said:

Thanks you for that, is the form you posted the latest version and will SSA accept a printed copy rather than the orginal they send?

It's the same as 2019 that was sent to me but for this year don't know.

• Like 1

Last year, after I receiving  my 7162 and completing the form I was unable to use the return envelope with their address SS included. The glue or paste stuck and I could not unseal it despite trying to steam it open. I used a normal envelope and sent my form back to them. In October or maybe a bit later, I got another 7162 and they informed me that they never received the first 7162 they had sent me and that if they didn't received this most recent 7162 that I had just received, they would cancel my SS payments. So I then sent the form back registerd mail, about 100 Baht. They must have got it because I get my monthly dayments. 

• Like 1

It's taken over two months to receive mail from the US, plus you can NOT use the PO Box on the return form, so you're screwed both ways for getting the original bar code form back in time. So... as I've done for others in prior years, I sent a downloaded form via EMS at the Post Office (no word when regular mail will resume). I did this also on behalf of two others. They've never received one in prior years, but I have, so I could have pasted the bar code from last year, but didn't because I'm not sure what's on it. We split the 880 baht cost of an EMS package three ways. Now, we can also hope that Migz's message is correct, that SS will not enforce suspension of benefits for lack of a 7162 this year, anyway. If you do send one EMS, you can't use the PO Box (I don't think), so I believe this will get there (there are many different addresses out there, many do not work): 

Social Security Administration
Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center
ATTN: FEQ Analyst, FEQ Forms 7161-7162
1150 E. Mountain Dr. Room 341
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702-7997

There's also an email address which I've used in past years that no longer works, also a fax number. I've not tried that one yet, but it is 506-2291-1032. If it works or not, let us know (oh wait, I don't think it's a valid number, extra digit).  Finally, come November you could call Manila to see if you're good and if not ask them how to fix things, send them the form filled out, with or without the bar code if that's what they want.  It's a legit concern, there are many whose benefits get suspended, even those who sent in forms with or without bar codes (there's a remark field on the 2nd page where you can address these issues as we did). Good luck, all.

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, cusanus said:

If you do send one EMS, you can't use the PO Box (I don't think), so I believe this will get there (there are many different addresses out there, many do not work): 

You can send an EMS to a PO box. I have sent one to Wilkes Barre by EMS before.

They can't be used if using a package service such as Fedex, DHL, UPS and etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, cusanus said:

It's taken over two months to receive mail from the US, plus you can NOT use the PO Box on the return form, so you're screwed both ways for getting the original bar code form back in time. So... as I've done for others in prior years, I sent a downloaded form via EMS at the Post Office (no word when regular mail will resume). I did this also on behalf of two others. They've never received one in prior years, but I have, so I could have pasted the bar code from last year, but didn't because I'm not sure what's on it. We split the 880 baht cost of an EMS package three ways. Now, we can also hope that Migz's message is correct, that SS will not enforce suspension of benefits for lack of a 7162 this year, anyway. If you do send one EMS, you can't use the PO Box (I don't think), so I believe this will get there (there are many different addresses out there, many do not work): 

Social Security Administration
Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center
ATTN: FEQ Analyst, FEQ Forms 7161-7162
1150 E. Mountain Dr. Room 341
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702-7997

There's also an email address which I've used in past years that no longer works, also a fax number. I've not tried that one yet, but it is 506-2291-1032. If it works or not, let us know (oh wait, I don't think it's a valid number, extra digit).  Finally, come November you could call Manila to see if you're good and if not ask them how to fix things, send them the form filled out, with or without the bar code if that's what they want.  It's a legit concern, there are many whose benefits get suspended, even those who sent in forms with or without bar codes (there's a remark field on the 2nd page where you can address these issues as we did). Good luck, all.

I just email them to Social Security Manila.

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

You have more faith in them than I do. 

Sent them a copy of the one I had sent by registered mail last year that showed it was delivered when I got the second notice and never was able to get a reply back from them even after sending a follow up email.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have more faith in them than I do. 

Sent them a copy of the one I had sent by registered mail last year that showed it was delivered when I got the second notice and never was able to get a reply back from them even after sending a follow up email.

Total agree. On the other thread "American Have You Received You Stimulus Check"..you posted a notice from the SSA that Forum 7192 would not be sent out this year due to CoronaVirus and we have a year grace period. I looked but can not find.

8 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Total agree. On the other thread "American Have You Received You Stimulus Check"..you posted a notice from the SSA that Forum 7192 would not be sent out this year due to CoronaVirus and we have a year grace period. I looked but can not find.

I did not post anything like that.

On page one of this topic it was stated that they would not be stopping payments for not receiving one this year.

I am sure they have already mailed then but are slow getting here this year. I got mine on the 6th of June last year and mailed it the next day.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

I did that, too. the sjregion@ssa email address no longer works, so I found this one just today:

Federal Benefits Unit
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone: 632-5301-2000
Fax: 632-8708-9714 or 632-8708-9723
Email: [email protected]

None of the offices will give an acknowledgement, but you can play machine gun and check by phone call to Manilla in October to see if you're good. That's what I did last year (for a friend). I find no confirmation that this year is being skipped, but that may be the case. You'd think they'd have mercy on us old folks and at least confirm that you're okay, or not, but that isn't government. Yeah, post it right on the ssa website, too, but nooo.....

Edited by cusanus
On 6/14/2020 at 3:03 PM, khwaibah said:

I did this last year and confirm what UJ says.

Dang, thanks for that. So, I hope the exact room number, etc., still works. I sent one to Manilla as I described above by email Sunday, too. The no-reply said there are no phone services or appointments, etc. I asked if they would acknowledge the 7162 and accept it in PDF format w/o the barcode and if suspension of benefits were waived this year because of Covid-19, but so far no answer. Boy, you ever get the feeling that the US government is dying to get rid of us? I know I've been dying to be rid of them the whole of 72 years.

Edited by cusanus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Dang, thanks for that. So, I hope the exact room number, etc., still works. I sent one to Manilla as I described above by email Sunday, too. The no-reply said there are no phone services or appointments, etc. I asked if they would acknowledge the 7162 and accept it in PDF format w/o the barcode and if suspension of benefits were waived this year because of Covid-19, but so far no answer. Boy, you ever get the feeling that the US government is dying to get rid of us? I know I've been dying to be rid of them the whole of 72 years.

My 2 satang. Never involve Manila with anything except for signing up for SS IF you're not in the states. Manila is as useless as they get.. The can not and will not do anything . If you send anything to them they only will forward it to Baltimore and the 7162 is sent to Wilkes Barre. If you have an issue call SSA in Baltimore you will get NO help from Manila. s for Baltimore the SSA phone system leaves a lot to be desired but be patent tell you get a live voice. I have had serious issue with Baltimore for the past 4 years but I am still getting my funds DD to my US bank. In the past 4 years and this year is the 5th year. I have had only ONE 7162 sent to me and Zero end of year statements.  Do a download of the 7162 form sign it then EMS it to Wilkes Barre no where else. If you envole Manila all  you are doing is adding another layer of incompetency. SSA number Baltimore. +1  800 772 1213. The post by another forum member may be correct then it may not be. I have seen nothing on the SSA website about this subject. Call Baltimore and use EMS.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

My 2 satang. Never involve Manila with anything except for signing up for SS IF you're not in the states. Manila is as useless as they get.. The can not and will not do anything . If you send anything to them they only will forward it to Baltimore and the 7162 is sent to Wilkes Barre. If you have an issue call SSA in Baltimore you will get NO help from Manila. s for Baltimore the SSA phone system leaves a lot to be desired but be patent tell you get a live voice. I have had serious issue with Baltimore for the past 4 years but I am still getting my funds DD to my US bank. In the past 4 years and this year is the 5th year. I have had only ONE 7162 sent to me and Zero end of year statements.  Do a download of the 7162 form sign it then EMS it to Wilkes Barre no where else. If you envole Manila all  you are doing is adding another layer of incompetency. SSA number Baltimore. +1  800 772 1213. The post by another forum member may be correct then it may not be. I have seen nothing on the SSA website about this subject. Call Baltimore and use EMS.

Thanks for the info, but I must say that Manila has always been of great help for me, maybe not this time, but give them a bit more time. Two friends last year also had their payments restored via Manila. I do expect the EMS form to Wilkes Barr to work, though could not supply the barcode. 

13 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Thanks for the info, but I must say that Manila has always been of great help for me, maybe not this time, but give them a bit more time. Two friends last year also had their payments restored via Manila. I do expect the EMS form to Wilkes Barr to work, though could not supply the barcode. 

Your friends wasted time as Manila did fork all but forward info to Baltimore. Manila can not do anything but sign you up and act as messenger boy. 

I read this thread. Is my conclusion correct that no one in Thailand has received this document yet? My two satang ... SSA at Manila has always helped resolve any issues. Several years ago when I did not receive this form in June nor any follow up, I contacted them in November and they asked me to PDF a filled in form to them.  Didn't miss a check.  One other time they resolved an address/phone number issue. So I still have confidence that they work to resolve your problems.

• Haha 1

I agree with the last two posters as Manila has always resolved the problems I bring them. I would not just send them a 7162. I always describe the problem or question with a proper cover letter and they open a case. Then a representative is assigned the case and emails you back. Since the military bases have closed in the Philippines their work load has gotten lighter and I think they have reduced their work force. A friend who just turned 62 contacted them last month regarding starting his SS pension. He got a phone call from a Manila representative and answered some questions. He thought if would be months before he saw a check. He received his first check June 1 and was quite surprised.

1 minute ago, avvocato said:

I read this thread. Is my conclusion correct that no one in Thailand has received this document yet? My two satang ... SSA at Manila has always helped resolve any issues. Several years ago when I did not receive this form in June nor any follow up, I contacted them in November and they asked me to PDF a filled in form to them.  Didn't miss a check.  One other time they resolved an address/phone number issue. So I still have confidence that they work to resolve your problems.

Exact same thing happen to the wife last year....didn't receive the 7162 during the first mailing (May/June) or the second/follow-up mailing (Sep/Oct).  I received mine, but she didn't and has the exact same address on file with the SSA as I do.  Contacted Manila around July about none receipt....they said wait until 1 Nov when the 2nd mailing should have arrived....if 7162 not received by 1 Nov to notifying them again and they would email a 7162 for completion.   Basically they were nicely saying they would not get involved until 1 Nov because they wanted to wait until after the 2nd mailing should have arrived which was No Later Than 1 Nov.  Wife didn't receive a 7162 by 1 Nov...emailed Manila....they responded by sending a blank 7162 for completion, scanning, and emailing back to them.   Did such and all was fine.  Also mailed a copy to Wilkes Barre just in case.

We live in Bangkok and as of today/15 June neither of us have receive a 7162 for this year.

45 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Your friends wasted time as Manila did fork all but forward info to Baltimore. Manila can not do anything but sign you up and act as messenger boy. 

Maybe so in some cases, but they have always helped with a variety of issues and have confirmed the results whereas otherwise we wouldn't have known jack ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1