US SS form 7162

56 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new for mine. Got a one month update for my missing mail request this week.

Waiting for the 2nd request mail to know what happened to my 7162 or maybe it will suddenly reappear when they get around to getting it out of the bag or box it is in.

Hopefully it "did" arrive SSA Wilkes Barre but the USPS just failed to accomplish/missed tracking scans between NYC and Wilkes Barre.   From review of USPS Office of Inspector General audits focused on USPS complying with its mail scanning requirements at mail processing centers, post offices, postman delivery, etc., the failure to always scan those mail pieces requiring a scan during their entire trek is still a big problem within USPS. 

If you don't get a SSA 2nd notice over the coming month or so  that should mean your 7162 arrived and it was just a failure of USPS to properly scan trackable mail pieces.  Preaching to the choir I know.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
On 9/30/2022 at 9:54 AM, Pib said:

Hopefully it "did" arrive SSA Wilkes Barre but the USPS just failed to accomplish/missed tracking scans between NYC and Wilkes Barre.   From review of USPS Office of Inspector General audits focused on USPS complying with its mail scanning requirements at mail processing centers, post offices, postman delivery, etc., the failure to always scan those mail pieces requiring a scan during their entire trek is still a big problem within USPS. 

If you don't get a SSA 2nd notice over the coming month or so  that should mean your 7162 arrived and it was just a failure of USPS to properly scan trackable mail pieces.  Preaching to the choir I know.

FWIW, I mailed my form registered mail on 13 July. Sometime around the end of July, I was notified it was in the US. Then, according to USPS tracking, it didn't move for about five weeks. Suddenly, in the second week of September, USPS notified me it had got to Jamaica on 24 July. Then, a couple of days ago, the tracking reported it was out of Jamaica in transit on 28 July. So my USPS notifications were two months behind where the mail actually was.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

FWIW, I mailed my form registered mail on 13 July. Sometime around the end of July, I was notified it was in the US. Then, according to USPS tracking, it didn't move for about five weeks. Suddenly, in the second week of September, USPS notified me it had got to Jamaica on 24 July. Then, a couple of days ago, the tracking reported it was out of Jamaica in transit on 28 July. So my USPS notifications were two months behind where the mail actually was.

Thanks for the hope mine will make there before the end of the world…. bloody slow …

Delivered.

2022-10-03 17:25

WILKES BARRE, PA 18767, Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Post Office -> Your item was picked up at the post office at 5:25 pm on October 3, 2022 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

2022-10-03 15:07

WILKES BARRE, PA 18701, Arrived at Post Office

2022-08-04 00:00

In Transit to Next Facility

2022-07-31 07:45

JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Delivered.

2022-10-03 17:25

WILKES BARRE, PA 18767, Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Post Office -> Your item was picked up at the post office at 5:25 pm on October 3, 2022 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

2022-10-03 15:07

WILKES BARRE, PA 18701, Arrived at Post Office

2022-08-04 00:00

In Transit to Next Facility

2022-07-31 07:45

JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

Wow....2 months MIA while trying to find its way from Jamaica NY to Wilkes Barre PA....that must be the toughest & slowest 120 miles to travel on Earth (at least for the USPS). 

I wonder how long it will take that individual who picked up the mail to drive a short distance back to the SSA facility...maybe a week?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just called the USPS 1-800 number to ask about my registered letter to SS. After 40 minutes, I was told that registered mail is treated like regular first class mail and is untrackable. If I wanted to get guaranteed delivery (as in money back), then I needed to use priority mail. What is the equivalent of that in Thailand? Otherwise, he said it likely wouldn't be scanned and entered into the system. Nice enough people on the phone. Just a terrible system in the US.

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Just called the USPS 1-800 number to ask about my registered letter to SS. After 40 minutes, I was told that registered mail is treated like regular first class mail and is untrackable. If I wanted to get guaranteed delivery (as in money back), then I needed to use priority mail. What is the equivalent of that in Thailand? Otherwise, he said it likely wouldn't be scanned and entered into the system. Nice enough people on the phone. Just a terrible system in the US.

Only partially true.  It' correct that  "Foreign" registered airmail is moved in the USPS First Class mail system vs the U.S. Domestic Registered Mail system  after being released from the International Service Center (ISC) like the Jamaica NY ISC.  However, scans and delivery signatures can still occur (like we seen some people getting) but when not being moved in the Domestic Registered mail system then a higher likelihood exists of scans being missed/ignored.  See below earlier post which includes a link to the USPS policy on Foreign Registered Mail.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Only partially true.  It' correct that  "Foreign" registered airmail is moved in the USPS First Class mail system vs the U.S. Domestic Registered Mail system  after being released from the International Service Center (ISC) like the Jamaica NY ISC.  However, scans and delivery signatures can still occur (like we seen some people getting) but when not being moved in the Domestic Registered mail system then a higher likelihood exists of scans being missed/ignored.  See below earlier post which includes a link to the USPS policy on Foreign Registered Mail.

Isn't there a better way for SS to do this? Why not mail us the form with a personal code, which we can then return 1) via mail 2) on an SS website or 3) a telephone number where we punch in the code?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Isn't there a better way for SS to do this? Why not mail us the form with a personal code, which we can then return 1) via mail 2) on an SS website or 3) a telephone number where we punch in the code?

Got me....maybe the SSA wants a real signature...maybe they don't want to spend the money to offer a digital/online submission option....maybe ??? 

I'm not smart enough to figure out why the SSA does certain things in certain ways.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

When should that be expected if they didn't get the first one back?

That's why I'm asking. If it was September for the mailout, shouldn't we have received it by now, if we're going to get it? Would be nice if SS had a confirmation site, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

just checked the USPS website and mine got delivered, actually picked up at the post office on October 6th, was mailed out on July 29th.

Latest Update

Your item was picked up at the post office at 6:19 pm on October 6, 2022 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

12 hours ago, DJ54 said:

My first notice headed to final destination for over 1-1/2 months … errrrrr

Haven’t received a second notice yet…

Mine is almost the same except for the dates.

image.png.e585b7c45e770a2d670d51b4d3e22335.png

I reported the problem to USPS and they told me after a few days to a missing mail report so it states this now.

image.png.b0bf75d83130fec23fe8af3e663e7c7c.png

No changes since then.

• Like 1

Shows picked up Oct 13 2022 (put the year cause you never know how long it’ll take 555’

They must hold them at post office and pick up in bulk… just my guess…. 

Arrived at Post Office on August 22… just a short delay… 555

556FC290-0C29-4D2D-9809-F292F295D0C4.jpeg

Well mine got stuck in transit ages ago. If they had picked it up in time and recorded it, I would have made the first mailing report. But at this point I'm pretty sure it will never show up as delivered.

So accepting that, at this point, would now be an OK time to call them and ask if it was recorded or not?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well mine got stuck in transit ages ago. If they had picked it up in time and recorded it, I would have made the first mailing report. But at this point I'm pretty sure it will never show up as delivered.

So accepting that, at this point, would now be an OK time to call them and ask if it was recorded or not?

Is there ever a good time to call the SSA or any US government agency?

The call will only be as good as the agent who handles your call.

Please let us know what they said. Thanks!  PS- I never got the first mailing of the 7161 or 7162 forms. Still waiting on the second mailing.

Since several others posters in this thread had their 7162 show up at Wilkes Barre approx 2 months of being in MIA status after leaving NYC/Jamaica, I expect your missing mail report had nothing to do with the 7162 finally arriving Wilkes  Barre.

I assume above snapshot is from standard USPS  tracking.  If so, when checking the status of your missing mail report does that reflect delivery or still being looked for?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Pib said:

I assume above snapshot is from standard USPS  tracking.  If so, when checking the status of your missing mail report does that reflect delivery or still being looked for?

I got a email that it had been delivered from the USPS in response to my missing mail claim.

Thai post shows this.

image.png.cd2fc5d96f599c177e614d9e2dd5350c.png

Ubonjoe,

Didn't you have to create a USPS acct in order to submit the missing mail report?  And then after initiating the missing report there was then a special area/menu you could go check the missing mail report status?    If so, that's the status I was interested in versus the normal tracking status updates shown on the USPS or Thai Postal websites/apps.

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Ubonjoe,

Didn't you have to create a USPS acct in order to submit the missing mail report?  And then after initiating the missing report there was then a special area/menu you could go check the missing mail report status?    If so, that's the status I was interested in versus the normal tracking status updates shown on the USPS or Thai Postal websites/apps.

I had to register to do first search and then a missing mail report after the first one resulted in a missing status.

This is this the email I got yesterday.

"Thank you for using USPS.com.

USPS Tracking® shows a "Delivered" status for your mailpiece. Your search request will automatically cancel in seven (7) days. If your mail was not delivered, access your search request from your Submitted Search Requests and click Keep Searching.

Search Request Details:
Request Date: 08/27/2022
Reference: Search ID #14968929"
  • Thanks 1

With almost all people saying their forms were not delivered until October, you would think that almost everybody would receive the second mailing.

As of now, not a post of anyone receiving the second mailing.

I never received the first mailing of both forms 7161 and 7162.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, John Drake said:

Anybody know of anyone who received a second, follow up letter after returning the first one back in July?

On 10/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, Jingthing said:

When should that be expected if they didn't get the first one back?

Below weblink is the SSA regulation/instruction regarding the 7162/7161 Follow-ups and Suspensions — Foreign Enforcement Program (FEP). 

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655010

If, repeat, if the SSA is following their own instruction to the letter the follow-up/2nd notice would have been mailed in September....lets say the 30 Sep (although it could have been anytime in Sep) which means the 2nd notice would be arriving Thailand right about now (i.e., mid Oct).  And if mailed in mid Sep the 2nd notice would have surely arrived by now barring your local Thai Post Office being very slow.

My personal experience with U.S. govt mail sent from the U.S. east coast region like Wilkes Barre takes right at 14 days/2 weeks to arrive my Bangkok home.  And if coming from a U.S. govt agency in the U.S. west coast region approx 10 days like a piece of U.S. govt mail I very recently got from California which the govt mailed by regular First Class mail on 29 Sep and it arrived my home 7 Oct (only 8 days).

But with the world still recovering from the COVID pandemic which caused many govt agencies and companies to temporarily waive/modify there normal procedures/timelines who can really say if the SSA is now again fully following their own regulation regarding FEP.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...