US SS form 7162

And in response to that "Test" email I sent yesterday just to get an automatic reply (which I did get in approx 2 minutes), this morning I got below where Manila which is basically saying, Hey, we got your email...if you need to talk to us here's how you start by providing identifying info. 

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 12:21 PM
To: 
Subject: Re: Test

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

So that we can locate your records and assist you with your inquiry, please provide the identifying information listed below.  Providing this information is optional; however, we may not be able to assist you accurately without referring to your records.

-      Last Name:

-      First Name:

-      Middle Name:

-      Date of Birth:

-      Place of Birth:

-      Last four digits of Social Security Number (SSN):

-      Address:

-      Contact Number:

-      Explain your inquiry in detail:

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 5301-2000, Option 9

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month.*

*NOTE: electronic devices (e.g., cell phones, laptops, etc.) are not allowed inside the U.S. Embassy.

I ran across this thread when I contacted an individual that is posting on here. I think I have read all the posts along with trying to get answers via google, but no luck.

First, I signed up for Social Security in March of this year, all is ok but my question is under normal circumstances (non-COVID) would I have received a 7162 this year or would it normally be sent next year?

I have noted some of the posts concerning sending the 7162 back to the SSA and was wondering if anyone used a re-mailing service in the US? I use USA2ME and they will forward on any mail via the postal service. They even provide postage. I have never tried to use this but it seems to be a good alternative to snail mail if you don’t mind paying the cost.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Thailandbuckeye
18 minutes ago, Thailandbuckeye said:

I ran across this thread when I contacted an individual that is posting on here. I think I have read all the posts along with trying to get answers via google, but no luck.

First, I signed up for Social Security in March of this year, all is ok but my question is under normal circumstances (non-COVID) would I have received a 7162 this year or would it normally be sent next year?

I have noted some of the posts concerning sending the 7162 back to the SSA and was wondering if anyone used a re-mailing service in the US? I use USA2ME and they will forward on any mail via the postal service. They even provide postage. I have never tried to use this but it seems to be a good alternative to snail mail if you don’t mind paying the cost.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are talking using your USA2Me address in Houston to "receive" the 7162, well, if you had your US address on file with the SSA then the SSA would not mail you a 7162 each year since you don't have a foreign address.  Well, I think once you reach 90 the SSA starts sending a 7162 each year regardless of where you live.   But if you are really living in Thailand that is the address you are suppose to have on file with SSA per their rules.   

3 hours ago, Thailandbuckeye said:

I got one the first year I was on SS. Mine started in March and got it in June.

They have sent any of them out this year as fars a I know.

I completed a blank one and sent it by email to Manila last month.

1 hour ago, Thailandbuckeye said:

Maybe I have misunderstood, I thought once receiving the 7162 you had to mail back to the the US.

Yes, that is correct.  When you get the 7162 from Wilkes Barre in the US you are to complete and mail it back to them.  However, if you don't get the 7162 from Wilkes Barre for whatever reason and it's 1 November or later which is after the two Wilkes Barre mailings in May/Jun and Aug/Sep should have reached you, you can then complete a blank 7162 and send it to Manila or Wilkes Barre.  During normal years (and this COVID year is not normal) Manila does not want to get involved in receiving a 7162 unless it 1 Nov or later "and" you never receive the 7162 from Wilkes Barre.

Since this is not a normal year due to COVID impacts like severe mailing disruption worldwide  I scan/emailed  7162s for me and the wife to Manila about a month ago and they accepted it.  

I doubt Wilkes Barre will even be mailing 7162s to many folks/countries this year; however, to date they have not made no such announcement.  All Manila will say is the mailing has been delayed. 

15 hours ago, Pib said:

And in response to that "Test" email I sent yesterday just to get an automatic reply (which I did get in approx 2 minutes), this morning I got below where Manila which is basically saying, Hey, we got your email...if you need to talk to us here's how you start by providing identifying info. 

Thank you Pib & UbonJoe...I sent a test email cutting and pasting the address provided and it worked...got an auto reply almost immediately...will re-send my earlier emails that disappeared somewheres in the ethers of the internet...

The Manila office sent me this response to my request to update my wife's address in her SS MyProfile from the old U.S. address to our current Thailand address (as my profile is as well as IRS records for both of us).  Their reply:

"Please be advised that we do not have the capacity to access your profile and make the address change for your. SSA only keeps addresses/update addresses of those who are currently receiving their benefits."

So, I can't change the address within the SSA MyProfile domain and the SS won't...until benefits kick in..Que Sera Sera...

You could try calling the SSA at their US main 1800...see 1st snapshot below.  Maybe they can update your wife's online MySSA address but based on the last sentence in the 2nd snapshot the SSA has not need for your current address "until a person starts drawing SS benefits."   Or said another way, don't bother us with your address until you apply for/start drawing SS benefits....then  we'll take you current/new address....until then we'll just use whatever the IRS shows as your address.   And if calling the SSA about your "wife's" acct they are surely going to want to have her online....answer the identity check questions they may pose before proceeding....she may be your wife, but the SSA treats it as she is not....she is just another person who must pass identity checks on their own.  No problem in you being in the call if the wife says it OK....I've done it before with my wife....like when we were trying to created a MySSA Online acct for her but couldn't get past the address verification process due to her credit report showing her current address as an address from around 5 years earlier....but we got thru that and got her MySSA acct created.

I'm not really surprised that the current address SSA is getting from the IRS "for your wife" is not matching your Thailand address which you use on your federal return....and I'm assuming you are filing a joint return with the wife.   I say that based on my experience over many decades of marriage to my wife (and we have already live together at the same address) when reviewing address info on your credit report agency reports (i.e, Experian, TransUnion, Equifax) we have seen variations in addresses used with several cases the wife's current address maybe be a decade behind.   This problem is caused since on any joint acct, like a joint bank acct, joint credit card acct, etc., there is always a "primary acct holding and secondary acct holder" (yes, even though the acct is a joint acct equally owned) for tax/interest/etc.,  reporting to various agencies to include the IRS.  And it seems in this reporting sometimes only the primary acct holder's info gets sent but not the secondary acct holder's info.  Since wifes are usually listed as the secondary acct holder sometimes their info doesn't get reported which in turn can cause their info at some agencies to get outdated.  Then it will not get updated until some special event might happen such as applying for/start drawing SS benefits or some other govt benefits. 

1st Snapshot from MySSA Online Contact Info

You can speak to a Social Security representative for help with a my Social Security account Monday through Friday.

Toll-free:
1-800-772-1213
7:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST).

After you hear "Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account.

TTY (for deaf or hard of hearing)
1-800-325-0778
7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. local time.

We are not open on federal holidays.

You can also use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day.

2nd Snapshot from SSA website
https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01711

I bolded the last sentence.

How can I change my address?

Views: 250385

If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address online by using a my Social Security account. Go to the My Profile Tab on my Social Security.

This service is not currently available to people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or do not have a U.S. mailing address. However, if you are receiving SSI, you can still check your address we have on record via the My Profile Tab on my Social Security.

If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, you can:
  • Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; or
  • Contact your local Social Security office.
If you do not receive Social Security benefits, SSI or Medicare, you do not need to change your address with us.

Edited by Pib
On 8/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Sent my SSA -7162 by email to Manila today. Completed it using Adobe, printed it, signed it, scanned it and saved as a PDF file to send them.

Waited 60 days from when I normally would of gottein it in early June.

Got the auto reply so will wait and see if I get another one from them.

Being the pdf doesn't have our info on it like the one that is mailed... I think has barcode... 

How did you fill it? Did you fill in your ssn? Because that line says for ssa only. 

Edited by keithet
27 minutes ago, keithet said:

How did you fill it? Did you fill in your ssn?

I completed this to the right of where you enter your name and address. image.png.6633c9a046d424e5b90f60e9183218c4.png

I used fill and sign on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to complete it.

I put all the same info that was on last years 7162 that I kept a copy of.

On 8/31/2020 at 7:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

They do send one. This the one I got when I sent my 7162.

"Automatic response: Your email has been received"

And it does contain the info to provide as posted by PIB.

Do you have link for downloading the form 7162 in pdf. I thought it was somewhere in this thread, but I've just scrolled through nine pages and cannot find it.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just new wording from the Manila office.

I have been going to the image.png.3512330747a86b72091b7a6f13c5d1c4.png ( https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/ ) for months and there is zero info about SSA-7162 forms on it. Just checked and their still is no info about them on it. I have  looked on various pages on the SSA site and found nothing about them.

When you sent yours did they accept it with a reply? 

Mine was replied with wait till sometime at the end of the year for the actual form to be mailed out. 

I sent a screen shot earlier that refers to the website with no information.

Scanned back thru this thread for posts which "has replies from the SSA or other organizations like the ACA" regarding the FEQ mailing for 2020.  Below they are for your viewing pleasure.  

On 6/17/2020 at 5:46 AM, Migz said:

This is the reply I received from US Embassy Manila regarding Form 7162 for 2020:

===========================================

Re: Re: FEQ Form 7162 for 2020

un 16 at 8:21 AM

FBU Manila <[email protected]>

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Greetings!

The SSA Questionnaire (Form SSA-7162 and SSA-7161) this year is delayed. You may follow up with us by end of July 2020 for any guidance that may possibly be already by that time.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and enhanced community quarantine in the Philippines, current operations in the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) are significantly limited. This includes, but are not limited to our telephone system, appointments and mails. 

Please be aware that you may have to wait longer than normal for your request to be attended. Please direct all correspondence to [email protected] and avoid sending multiple emails, as this will cause further delays.

Thank you.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:13 AM, Migz said:

I recently emailed ACA (Americans Citizens Abroad) regarding Form 7162 for 2020 and the problems receiving and sending it back.  This is the response I got from them.

====================================

Jun 5 at 2:56 AM
photo?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fdh%2Fap%2Fsocial%2Fprofile%2Fprofile_a64.png&alphatar_photo=true&appId=YMailNorrin&format=image
Americans Citizens Abroad <[email protected]>
Cc: Americans Citizens Abroad <[email protected]>
Thank you for contacting ACA.

ACA has heard form contacts at the Social Security Administration that they are not enforcing suspension of benefits due to failure of filing Form 7162 for 2020.

ACA suggests you check back to the Social Security website for more updates on this.  www.ssa.gov.

Marylouise Serrato
ACA Executive Director
Washington, D.C., London, Geneva
+1 202 322 8441

=================================================

On 6/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Trillian said:

I just received this from Ifbu London:

Any beneficiaries who did not respond to either the first or the second mailing will not have their benefits suspended. The 2020 cycle is suspended until further notice.  All beneficiaries will continue to receive uninterrupted pay. 

Sincerely,

Claims Representative (FA)

United States Embassy

Federal Benefits Unit

33 Nine Elms Lane

London

SW11 7US

Go to the VFW weblink to see the SSA reply

On 6/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, Pib said:

The VFW District Five website has some info on the 2020 7162 mailing....but keep in mind the guidance is based on one email between the Manila SSA Office and a VFW member.  Pretty much no different that Manila responding to an email one of us send which can possibly leave doubt in a person mind as to if the 7162 process has been suspended for 2020 or not.   The VFW website does have a good/blank 7162 to download....it's the same one Manila emailed my wife last year when her 7162 never arrived after both the 1st and 2nd mailings....but my 7162 arrived the 1st mailing...and we both have the exact same address.    

https://vfwpacificdist5.org/di/vfw/v2/default.asp?pid=67376

On 7/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

And now Manila has said about the same thing in a email to a friend.

SSA temporarily suspended certain adverse actions that would normally result in a reduction, suspension, or termination of Social Security benefits. This includes the mailing of the SSA-7161/SSA-7162. We may have additional information regarding your inquiry by next month.

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

On 8/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Got one this morning saying they had received it. Very short message "Signed 7162 received. Thank you."

That is enough for me not to worry about it anymore.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, Pib said:

The wife and I draw SS here in Thailand.  Last week/13 Aug we prepared & scanned the 7162's for email submission to Manila since we have not received any 7162's form Wilkes Barre who probably haven't mailed any yet...and may not mail any at all this year.   Attached the 7162's to one joint email to the Manila SS office.  In the body of the email I said we have not received any 7162's from Wilkes Barres probably due to world wide mailing disruptions caused by the ongoing COVID pandemic...and requested confirmation of receipt and this satisfies this year’s 7162 submission need.  

Today/19Aug got an email response from Manila of confirmation of receipt and they said they have placed the 7162's in their system.   That's close enough for me that it satisfies this year's 7162 submission need.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Pib,

Good day.

We acknowledge receipt of your 7162.

We have placed it in our system and also noted in your records.

Thank you.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:30 PM, khwaibah said:
FBU Manila <[email protected]>
Tue 8/18/2020 10:58 PM
To:
  •  You

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been delayedThe forms will be mailed out later this year so, at this time, no further action is needed. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 5301-2000, Option 9

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month.*

2 hours ago, keithet said:

I sent my form via email and fbu sent me a reply to wait when it is mailed. 

Screenshot_25630908_095106.png

• Thanks 1
On 9/1/2020 at 8:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

I got one the first year I was on SS. Mine started in March and got it in June.

They have sent any of them out this year as fars a I know.

I completed a blank one and sent it by email to Manila last month.

Hey Ubonjoe.  Where online did you get a clean, blank, SSA Form 7162 to fill out? 
I think I'm going to take the same route as you and Pib and fill one out and mail it to Manila. 

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, connda said:

Hey Ubonjoe.  Where online did you get a clean, blank, SSA Form 7162 to fill out? 
I think I'm going to take the same route as you and Pib and fill one out and mail it to Manila. 

Thanks!

There are several in earlier posts you can download.  Or googling will lead you to several sites where it can be downloaded.

35 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have downloaded this pdf .     How does one fill it out ?   do i have to print it out,  then fill it, then

scan to Manila ?

I completed it using fill and sign on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC then printed it out signed it,  scanned it as a PDF and emailed it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rumak said:

I have downloaded this pdf .     How does one fill it out ?   do i have to print it out,  then fill it, then

scan to Manila ?

Do NOT FORGET, as many do, to fill in your SSAN in the area to the upper right. The field has no label, but without that they won't know who you are.  The rest isn't much to fret. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I completed it using fill and sign on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC then printed it out signed it,  scanned it as a PDF and emailed it.

will have gf help  55  i'm lost with complicated (for me)  stuff,  as  one can not just fill in the info on the pdf  in current form.        

27 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Do NOT FORGET, as many do, to fill in your SSAN in the area to the upper right. The field has no label, but without that they won't know who you are.  The rest isn't much to fret. 

As I wrote in a earlier post you put your claim number to the right of where there are headings for you name and address. image.png.6633c9a046d424e5b90f60e9183218c4.png

Try Nitro Reader 3 (current version is 3.0.4.4) 

This the Free App, and any downloaded PDF form can be 'appended' with your own text 

Easily adapts to boxes and the various line spacings one can encounter 

This Nitro Reader has been my goto for years... 

any separatly scanned/saved signature can be copy pasted onto the pdf form, if library signatures are acceptable by the particular institution

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

do you mean the box that says      SSN/ CLAIM NO:     ?