US SS form 7162

What are we supposed to put in the box for SS/CLAIM NO: ?

I looked on my Medicare Card and it said my claim no. was my SS number followed my the letter A.

Also, my wife just started collecting SS in April and hasn't received anything with a claim no. Should she just put her SS no in that box?

The version ubonjoe attached above is the version that Manila will email you when you are working a 7162 "MIA" issue (i.e., you never received one in the mail).  Manually complete it the old fashion way with an ink pen...then scan and email to Manila...or mail to Wilkes Barre.     Emailing to Manila is faster, cheaper, easier, etc. 

2 hours ago, khaepmu said:

A very kind of dumb question. I don't remember having ever scanned a document. Could I not just download the 7162 document as a PDF doc and then email it to Manila as an attachment. 

You have to sign the completed form before sending it to them. That would require printing, completing the form signing it and then scanning it to create a PDF form to send them.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:56 AM, jeffandgop said:

Thank you Pib & UbonJoe...I sent a test email cutting and pasting the address provided and it worked...got an auto reply almost immediately...will re-send my earlier emails that disappeared somewheres in the ethers of the internet...

This is the response I received a few days ago from the FBU in the Philippines, after emailing my SSA form 7162.  I'm satisfied I have furnished proof of life for this year, regardless whether the SSA is requiring them or not due to the pandemic constraints.

1225051832_ScreenShot2020-09-12at06_12_23.png.8918d5661a8dfb95fb05099d30923b06.png

I love the first sentence below the asterisks where it says "......the Office of Income Security Programs has temporarily suspended mailing of 2020 FEQ...."   

I guess using the "temporarily" word is SSA's way of saying there will be no FEQ requirement for 2020.

SSA just can't bring themselves to flat-out say, Due to COVID-19 the SSA is not mailing any FEQs for 2020 and beneficiaries are not required to submit a FEQ for 2020...benefits will not be suspended if SSA does not obtain a FEQ from the beneficiary for 2020. 

Or just similar wording along those lines which "unambiguously" states FEQs for 2020 have been cancelled but will resume in 2021...and beneficiaries do not have to worry about mailing-in a FEQ for 2020.   Stay safe...wear a mask.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 7:26 AM, Pib said:

I love the first sentence below the asterisks where it says "......the Office of Income Security Programs has temporarily suspended mailing of 2020 FEQ...."   

I guess using the "temporarily" word is SSA's way of saying there will be no FEQ requirement for 2020.

SSA just can't bring themselves to flat-out say, Due to COVID-19 the SSA is not mailing any FEQs for 2020 and beneficiaries are not required to submit a FEQ for 2020...benefits will not be suspended if SSA does not obtain a FEQ from the beneficiary for 2020. 

Or just similar wording along those lines which "unambiguously" states FEQs for 2020 have been cancelled but will resume in 2021...and beneficiaries do not have to worry about mailing-in a FEQ for 2020.   Stay safe...wear a mask.

I wish they would just say that too. When I emailed mine they basically said ssa hasn't sent out yet but wait till later in the year. 

The year is almost over! 

Edited by keithet
3 hours ago, keithet said:

I wish they would just say that too. When I emailed mine they basically said ssa hasn't sent out yet but wait till later in the year. 

The year is almost over! 

Yeap...they are pretty much following the HQ SSA party line as stated at the Manila SSA webpage below regarding the FEQ.  Basically, they don't want to get involved until 1 Nov or after (which is after the two Wilkes Barre mailing time frames in May/Jun and Aug/Sep) if you didn't receive a FEQ from Wilkes Barre. 

Of course that's their "in normal times" policy.....a policy they seem to still be trying to follow during this "non-normal year of COVID" which has severely disrupted worldwide mailing.  And based on Murphy's Laws it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wilkes-Barre ends up mailing FEQs later this year....we all get then....but find out we still can't use regular/register Letter Post to mail it back for around 30-60 baht as the Thailand Post will still not be sending Letter Post to the US yet...and a person may be forced to use EMS at around Bt800 to 1500.  As of today/14Sep, a person still can't mail a regular/registered Letter Post which normally costs in the Bt30-60 ballpark when sending to the USA....and it may stay that way for "how much longer" due to COVID mailing disrputions?

Manaila SSA Office FEQ webpage

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/feq/

From Thailand Post website...just checked today/14 Sep 2020...still no Letter Post to the USA

image.png.71f1df567c008493352a38fbf4c2734e.png

48 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Fedex is working fine.

How much does that cost?   And I thought FedEx could not be used to ship to a P.O. Box (which the Wilkes Barre FEQ address uses...they use P.O. Box 7162) unless you were a business and was signed up for using FedEx SmartPost which uses USPS for the final leg. 

image.png.8ff117a4827ba60748bc0a5a821f14cc.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used CourierPost (990 THB), and EMS World (Document) 880 THB, both ThaiPost services recently. Both addressed to Post Office Boxes - both State government agencies, both were delivered to the corresponding physical addresses. USPS is the last leg for both, so I guess they know where the addresses are?

CourierPost took four days, EMS World closer to twelve days.

I think airmail ($1.20) from the U.S. to Thailand is running. Airmail from Thailand (37 THB) to the U.S. is not, AFAIK, I haven't checked in the last two weeks though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, mtls2005 said:

I have used CourierPost (990 THB), and EMS World (Document) 880 THB, both ThaiPost services recently. Both addressed to Post Office Boxes - both State government agencies, both were delivered to the corresponding physical addresses. USPS is the last leg for both, so I guess they know where the addresses are?

CourierPost took four days, EMS World closer to twelve days.

I think airmail ($1.20) from the U.S. to Thailand is running. Airmail from Thailand (37 THB) to the U.S. is not, AFAIK, I haven't checked in the last two weeks though.

Was going to send in Form 7162 that I had downloaded and filled in about a week ago by EMS. Was told they weren't accepting mail to the USA, but to check back from time to time.

I asked about FedEx or UPS and the clerk said it was Baht 1900 BUT that they wouldn't send to a P.O. Box.

So I scanned both sides of the form and emailed it to FBU at the embassy in Manila.

Got this message back today.

FBU Manila

10:36 (12 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gifThank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been delayedThe forms will be mailed out later this year so, at this time, no further action is needed. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

Inquiry Line: (+63 2) 5301-2000, Option 9

Telephone Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays - 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (Manila Time), except U.S. and Philippine Holidays

Public Hours: Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM  to 12:00 PM, except U.S. and Philippine Holidays and the first Wednesday of every month.

Edited by Suradit69
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, zlodnick said:

According to the US Embassy website, if you don't receive the form by Nov., notify the FBU Manila right away.

I sent them an email on Nov 2nd, saying I hadn't  received the form. I got an automatic reply saying they would respond within 5 days.  Today, (day 5), I received a reply. It was the same as the reply received by Suradit69 (above).

It said, Due to the pandemic, mailing has been delayed. At this time, no further action is needed.

At this late date and as the pandemic is still ongoing, I doubt that there will be a mailing this year. I will take their advice and take no further action until I hear otherwise.

I sent mine EMS to the building and room address in Pennsylvania in July and have a receipt that it was received. Ought that ought to be good enough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, cusanus said:

I sent mine EMS to the building and room address in Pennsylvania in July and have a receipt that it was received. Ought that ought to be good enough?

This where it is mailed to .Never where you did.

This is important because not all questions are self-explanatory. Then complete your report and return it to the Social Security Administration P. O. Box 7162 Wilkes-BarrePennsylvania 18767-7162 U*S*A....

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

This is important because not all questions are self-explanatory. Then complete your report and return it to the Social Security Administration P. O. Box 7162 Wilkes-BarrePennsylvania 18767-7162 U*S*A....

You're quite wrong. You can send it to the physical location as well. Same building, ends up in the same room. Anyway, if they're going to mail them, I should get one, haven't missed in 15 years. 

Edited by cusanus
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, zlodnick said:

According to the US Embassy website, if you don't receive the form by Nov., notify the FBU Manila right away.

I sent them an email on Nov 2nd, saying I hadn't  received the form. I got an automatic reply saying they would respond within 5 days.  Today, (day 5), I received a reply. It was the same as the reply received by Suradit69 (above).

It said, Due to the pandemic, mailing has been delayed. At this time, no further action is needed.

At this late date and as the pandemic is still ongoing, I doubt that there will be a mailing this year. I will take their advice and take no further action until I hear otherwise.

Ditto re mail to and reply from FBU Manila. And I agree there seems no need to mail to PA. If they haven't mailed out forms this year stands to reason they won't be processing them. I'll wait for the cycle next year.

11 hours ago, khwaibah said:

You don't get it. The world is bigger than you. It's okay to mail to the physical address. And some people do if they don't have the return envelope and want proof that it's been received. That's what I did. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, cusanus said:

You don't get it. The world is bigger than you. It's okay to mail to the physical address. And some people do if they don't have the return envelope and want proof that it's been received. That's what I did. 

You can mail it to the PO box if sending it by mail. Sending it by EMS is the same since it is done by the USPS.

Only if sent by courier (UPS, Fedex, DHL and etc) does it need to be sent the physical address.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Manila has said they will be sent later this... 

That has been said for some time by Manila just go back a few pages in this topic.

In other words they are saying don't worry about getting one at this time. They will not stopping payments in February has also been stated.

• Like 1